Two Flues or One

Two Flues or One

PostBy: cArNaGe On: Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 pm

Ok the time is nearing where I need to start replacing my chimney. My original plan was to put a block chimney with 8x8 flue through the center of the house and put either a brick or stone face on it. The existing chimney visible in the corner of two rooms of my house. But plan B comes in to place. My front living room is always 3-6 degree's colder than the rest of the house. Currently I have a 30K btu ventless propane heater to knock the chill off. So I was thinking of making the chimney bigger with two flues. But after reading on this thread......vent coal stove with oil furnace? I see some people suggest running two like fueled appliances in the same flue. Will this pass code? If so it would make my life so much easier.
cArNaGe
 

Re: Two Flues or One

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Thu May 29, 2008 9:28 pm

John, I would go with the double flue. Have you priced the materials yet.There might not be that big a difference to upgrade to a double. One thing you have in your favor is that you won't have to set up much scaffolding. If you break it down into several parts, say a bag or two of mortor each time you work on it, it won't be the monster project that it can be if done all at once. How many stories do you have to go? :) Scott
Scottscoaled
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

Re: Two Flues or One

PostBy: Freddy On: Thu May 29, 2008 9:49 pm

I vote double flu.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined


Re: Two Flues or One

PostBy: cArNaGe On: Thu May 29, 2008 10:04 pm

stokerscot wrote:John, I would go with the double flue. Have you priced the materials yet.There might not be that big a difference to upgrade to a double. One thing you have in your favor is that you won't have to set up much scaffolding. If you break it down into several parts, say a bag or two of mortor each time you work on it, it won't be the monster project that it can be if done all at once. How many stories do you have to go? :) Scott


Basement to Roof is about 45 feet I think. If I go double flue I'll have to brick it. Like it currently is. Plus cut out some in the floor for it to go through.
cArNaGe
 

Re: Two Flues or One

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Thu May 29, 2008 10:08 pm

Can't direct vent the coal stoker on an outside wall? :) Scott
Scottscoaled
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

Re: Two Flues or One

PostBy: cArNaGe On: Thu May 29, 2008 11:19 pm

stokerscot wrote:Can't direct vent the coal stoker on an outside wall? :) Scott


I've thought about it. But I believe it would be unwise since I have a porch wrapped around the living room.
Attachments
DSC01742.JPG
(126.05 KiB) Viewed 27 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]4377[/nepathumb]
cArNaGe
 

Re: Two Flues or One

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 pm

BEAUTIFUL HOUSE!!!!! You should be able to heat that beauty with no problem. Why is your room so much colder than the rest of the house. When it was built did they undersize the heating for that room.? I would just put more radiators in there.Also some of that expanding insulation that is blown into the cavities on the outside walls. The good stuff was posted some time back. :) Scott
Scottscoaled
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

Re: Two Flues or One

PostBy: cArNaGe On: Thu May 29, 2008 11:48 pm

stokerscot wrote:BEAUTIFUL HOUSE!!!!! You should be able to heat that beauty with no problem. Why is your room so much colder than the rest of the house. When it was built did they undersize the heating for that room.? I would just put more radiators in there.Also some of that expanding insulation that is blown into the cavities on the outside walls. The good stuff was posted some time back. :) Scott


Thanks.

Its an ongoing project. Was the heating undersized for that room? I believe so. Its forced air, all the downstairs rooms have 8" ducts and the front room has a 6".
It will be replaced. I actually have the pipe I just didn't install it yet.
cArNaGe
 

Re: Two Flues or One

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Fri May 30, 2008 7:58 am

I hear that. My house went from the 5 year plan to the 20 year plan. Ongoing means there's always something going on. :) Scott
Scottscoaled
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck