I have coal!

I have coal!

PostBy: Freddy On: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:49 pm

24.25 ton of pea size Superior coal. Double Run trucking (717-721-3996 ask for Ray, tue,wed,thur) made the arrangements, bought the coal, brought it to me. 617 miles, the furthest North they've come. I paid him upon delivery. What a good little adventure! The trucker phoned me this morning to get directions to my house. He said he'd deliver tomorrow morning. I told him if he wanted to do it today it was OK by me. He said he'd call when he got close, but if it was dark, it would be tomorrow. At about 6 PM I got the call. He was 20 miles away and could bring it today. OK! He asked if he could back into my driveway OK. I told him my phone line was 13'4", he said no problem, but how wide is my drive and the road. I said "If you got your licence yesterday, and almost flunked, you might have a problem". He said "Oh sure! Put me on the spot! My drive is 35 feet wide, the road is 25 feet. A mailbox on the corner of the drive. The rig was larger than I imagined, it's a full sized semi! It took a few tries, and he used 3 feet on the other side of the road (where there's only 2), but after a few back and fills he was square in. At that point he stopped, got out to look things over. I said "Aren't you glad this only happens every 5 years?" We walked out and looked at the bin. His comment "You could teach the Amish a thing or two about building a bin." He back in as best he could, the drive takes a curve so he was off center a bit. He was willing to center it but I said I could move it with the backhoe afterward. The dump body is so cool! I've never seen a dump like this. It hinges from the middle, not the rear. He locks the truck wheels and as it dumps (by remote control) the dumpo body moves forward about 6 feet. After it's dumped he drives forward as it comes down. Slick! The bin is 16' by 18' with 4 foot walls for 14 feet, 2 foot walls for 4 feet. After I move what's on the tarp, it will fit perfectly, level off square and cover nicely.
He said I was smart to buy early, he pictures a tight supply of anthracite this Fall. The coal looks good (but what do I know? LOL) I saw nothing but coal, no rocks, roots or mis-sized pieces. Based on this experience I highly reccommend Double Run. Very professional, friendly people. He brought the scale ticket from Superior, kept his word on the agreed price and all went well.
Attachments
Pile.JPG
(142.01 KiB) Viewed 231 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]4550[/nepathumb]
Dumping.JPG
(143.89 KiB) Viewed 218 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]4551[/nepathumb]
Truck.JPG
(142.09 KiB) Viewed 171 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]4552[/nepathumb]
DSC01411.JPG
(137.4 KiB) Viewed 160 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]4553[/nepathumb]
Last edited by Freddy on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: Matthaus On: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Nice job Freddy! :)
Matthaus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: beatle78 On: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:07 pm

nice Freddy! Thanks for taking the pics!!!

I'm wicked bummed! After I saw the size of that rig, I don't think there is anyway for me to get a truckload delivered unless it was a tri-axle :(

I called KEn Clinger, but he never called me back. I'll try to call him again.
beatle78
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4


Re: I have coal!

PostBy: vtec350 On: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:13 pm

Lookin good Freddy

It's a nice feeling looking out and seeing all that coal :D
Attachments
coal1.JPG
(1.77 MiB) Viewed 96 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]4554[/nepathumb]
vtec350
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KA-6

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: coal berner On: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Freddy wrote:24.25 ton of pea size Superior coal. Double Run trucking (717-721-3996 ask for Ray, tue,wed,thur) made the arrangements, bought the coal, brought it to me. 617 miles, the furthest North they've come. I paid him upon delivery. What a good little adventure! The trucker phoned me this morning to get directions to my house. He said he'd deliver tomorrow morning. I told him if he wanted to do it today it was OK by me. He said he'd call when he got close, but if it was dark, it would be tomorrow. At about 6 PM I got the call. He was 20 miles away and could bring it today. OK! He asked if he could back into my driveway OK. I told him my phone line was 13'4", he said no problem, but how wide is my drive and the road. I said "If you got your licence yesterday, and almost flunked, you might have a problem". He said "Oh sure! Put me on the spot! My drive is 35 feet wide, the road is 29 feet. A mailbox on the corner of the drive. The rig was larger than I imagined, it's a full sized semi! It took a few tries, and he used 3 feet on the other side of the road (where there's only 2), but after a few back and fills he was square in. At that point he stopped, got out to look things over. I said "Aren't you glad this only happens every 5 years?" We walked out and looked at the bin. His comment "You could teach the Amish a thing or two about building a bin." He back in as best he could, the drive takes a curve so he was off center a bit. He was willing to center it but I said I could move it with the backhoe afterward. The dump body is so cool! I've never seen a dump like this. It hinges from the middle, not the rear. He locks the truck wheels and as it dumps (by remote control) the dumpo body moves forward about 6 feet. After it's dumped he drives forward as it comes down. Slick! The bin is 16' by 18' with 4 foot walls for 14 feet, 2 foot walls for 4 feet. After I move what's on the tarp, it will fit perfectly, level off square and cover nicely.
He said I was smart to buy early, he pictures a tight supply of anthracite this Fall. The coal looks good (but what do I know? LOL) I saw nothing but coal, no rocks, roots or mis-sized pieces. Based on this experience I highly reccommend Double Run. Very professional, friendly people. He brought the scale ticket from Superior, kept his word on the agreed price and all went well.

Congrats on you coal haul You will be set for a few years as far as the coal Fred you will find no rocks or anything else but coal you might find a twig or two from the trees where the pile sits at the breaker when the wind blows hard they fall from the trees but they will be small and they will burn The driver is correct about the coal Prices going up and the Supply
being low this coming year I was Talking to one of the owner's bother of Superior coal over the weekend they are talking about putting the Price of coal from 140.00 a ton to 165.00 a ton by 8/1/08 instead of going to 150.00 a ton most of the breaker's are talking about going up to 20 or 25 a ton this fall so good thing you got it when you did Did they give it to you for 137.00 a ton
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: ken On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:04 am

nice project Freddy and well done. must fell good being set for 5 years. :D was that 617 miles one way or round trip?
ken
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker - Rice Coal
Stove/Furnace Model: 75K - Bay Window - Direct Vent

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: Freddy On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 am

For sure, the truck was larger than I thought. I've had semi's in here before, but none were as tight a fit as this one. He reeeeealllly hung one tire out in the air across the street. Here's a to scale diagram of about what space he used.

617 miles one way. $137 a ton for the coal.

Ya! It does feel nice to know I can keep my family warm for a few years. Now.... to get something to burn it in! LOL The boiler should be here in a couple of weeks.
Attachments
TRUCK SPACE.jpg
(105.15 KiB) Viewed 83 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]4556[/nepathumb]
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: Devil505 On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:30 am

I'm jealous! :D
I only have about 2.3 tons of Blaschak, but that should get me through this heating season & a bit of the next. (24 tons would set me for life! :lol: )
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: beatle78 On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:56 am

Freddy wrote:For sure, the truck was larger than I thought. I've had semi's in here before, but none were as tight a fit as this one. He reeeeealllly hung one tire out in the air across the street. Here's a to scale diagram of about what space he used.

617 miles one way. $137 a ton for the coal.

Ya! It does feel nice to know I can keep my family warm for a few years. Now.... to get something to burn it in! LOL The boiler should be here in a couple of weeks.


Freddy how long is your driveway?

I figured they would use a single cab truck. Is that trailer 40' or larger?

I wonder if they have smaller trailers that hold less. That might be an option for me as well.
beatle78
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:43 am

Well done Freddy. Good luck with the boiler install.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: coalshop On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:39 am

Ha Freddy, nice job :) i can only store about 3 tons for now. nice to know your going to stay warm for a few winters. good luck with your boiler install. let us know how it goes.
coalshop
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hyfire 1;House Pocono;Garage

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: Freddy On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:22 am

My paved driveway is 120 feet long, but I added 100 feet and a culvert to get the load out to the bin. Once he got back in he didn't have a problem getting to the bin. It was just backing the rig into the drive that was tight. The trailer is about 40 feet, the cab adds 30 feet, 70 feet total. Here's a different pic of it. It has ten wheels! Each tire that looks like a set is actually one wide tire! Some new design with 10 instead of 18. The truck only had 34,000 miles on it.
Weight? It is about the same per tire as a loaded concrete truck. It sunk into the new driveway the same as last weeks concrete trucks.
Yup, I'm hoping this will last four, maybe 5 years.
Attachments
DSC01413.JPG
(151.95 KiB) Viewed 138 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]4559[/nepathumb]
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: beatle78 On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:47 am

Freddy wrote:My paved driveway is 120 feet long, but I added 100 feet and a culvert to get the load out to the bin. Once he got back in he didn't have a problem getting to the bin. It was just backing the rig into the drive that was tight. The trailer is about 40 feet, the cab adds 30 feet, 70 feet total. Here's a different pic of it. It has ten wheels! Each tire that looks like a set is actually one wide tire! Some new design with 10 instead of 18. The truck only had 34,000 miles on it.
Weight? It is about the same per tire as a loaded concrete truck. It sunk into the new driveway the same as last weeks concrete trucks.
Yup, I'm hoping this will last four, maybe 5 years.


ok thanks. Man 70' is a lot!

I don't care if he dumps it at the end of my driveway (as long as cars can get by), then I can get my neighbors bobcat and move the coal to it's final destination.... hmmmmm maybe this will work...

I'll have to pull some measurements tonight, my road is VERY narrow. My driveway is pretty wide, not 35' though....
beatle78
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: West Bath Guy On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Now thats a pile of coal! I'm jealous! I just scored about 1 1/2 to 2 tons in the Bangor area that has been in a bin in the basement of what is now an assisted living facility. Its been there for about 40 years, but its 10,000 year old rocks. Whats another 40 years?
I would love to stop in a see you (and your bin) when I get up that way!
West Bath Guy
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harmon
Stove/Furnace Model: Mark 1

Re: I have coal!

PostBy: Freddy On: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Anyone is welcome to stop by.... just no bringing buckets! *grin*
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined