I've jumped deep into this form and now I'm really confused! I put a deposit on a Harman direct vent 500, have I made the wrong choice for my application? Would a boiler be better?
Let me back up, lay out our current house heating situation and let you decide which is a best fit (I only want to do this once)
- 1900's 1,700 square foot two story house (insulated well with new windows)
- Hotwater baseboard Heat, newer oil fired boiler (oversized for the house) - standard concrete block chimney
- New indirect hot water heater
- No outside access/ egress to the house
- House does not have a great place for a second chimney, hence the direct vent idea.
- Basement does have spots for me to build a coal bin.
- My wife is not crazy about the idea of coal (mess), but is a believer due to the $ advantage
I live in central NY and have plenty of coal distributors / stove distributers. I grew up with a Harman Mark and liked it other then the daily operation. I like the idea of dealing with the coal a few times a week vs. every day. Money wise, we are around the $4,500 budget.
Please Help, What is your advice?