Bad Dealers

Bad Dealers

PostBy: Morr88 On: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:11 am

Just wanted to let eveyone know that some of the stoker/stove dealers out there a going nuts with pricing. BUYER BEWARE. Take for instance the guy in Nashua New Hampshire who has marked his Keystoker Boiler up by $2000 becasue he gets his in September. For that much money you should wait until January when the other dealers can get boilers and pay for the oil. Plus this would teach the dealer that gouging like that is wrong. I was looking for a KA-6 that everyone is pricing at $4600 +/-, and the guy in NH is aksing $7063 for the same boiler. If you do business with this guy, I would think twice. He obviously has no morals. Everyone should also call Keystoker to get this guy removed from the early shipment list so the reputable dealers can get these boilers. I am done. Have a great day. I need to order my boiler.
Morr88
 

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: Richard S. On: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:50 am

It was mentioned by the EFM rep that the price of steel has gone through the roof as has everything else such as shipping etc. Some of that increase will be due to that. Price increases are to be expected when you have a product everyone wants, its called capitalism and is one of the things that has made this country what it is today. Don't like it? Buy from someone else with more reasonable rates.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:53 am

Steel went up 25% a ton July 1st.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea


Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: vtec350 On: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Morr88 wrote: I was looking for a KA-6 that everyone is pricing at $4600 +/-, and the guy in NH is aksing $7063 for the same boiler. If you do business with this guy, I would think twice. He obviously has no morals. Everyone should also call Keystoker to get this guy removed from the early shipment list so the reputable dealers can get these boilers.


I ordered my Ka-6 back in May, since then the price of steel and shipping have increased too. My dealer told me last week that EFM had a $500.00 increase and is going up again another $500.00-$600.00 soon. Supply and demand has always controlled the country. I'm in construction and durring the housing boom you could basically name your price. Now, it has leveled off and prices are somewhat back to reality but you can't bash a company not knowing what the actual increases are. Maybe his prices are a little high, time to find another dealer. If you really want to be angry at someone start with big oil :x , but that's another topic :lol:

Dave
vtec350
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KA-6

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: Freddy On: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Harley Davidson dealers commonly sell over list price. That's business!
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: traderfjp On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:35 am

I thought I read about a state that doesn't allow retailers to sell over MSRP but I'm not sure. I think it sucks when a dealer gouges the consumer because they have a hot product.
traderfjp
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing 3

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: coal berner On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:36 am

vtec350 wrote:
Morr88 wrote: I was looking for a KA-6 that everyone is pricing at $4600 +/-, and the guy in NH is aksing $7063 for the same boiler. If you do business with this guy, I would think twice. He obviously has no morals. Everyone should also call Keystoker to get this guy removed from the early shipment list so the reputable dealers can get these boilers.


I ordered my Ka-6 back in May, since then the price of steel and shipping have increased too. My dealer told me last week that EFM had a $500.00 increase and is going up again another $500.00-$600.00 soon. Supply and demand has always controlled the country. I'm in construction and durring the housing boom you could basically name your price. Now, it has leveled off and prices are somewhat back to reality but you can't bash a company not knowing what the actual increases are. Maybe his prices are a little high, time to find another dealer. If you really want to be angry at someone start with big oil :x , but that's another topic :lol:

Dave

EFM 10% Two Mondays ago another 10% After 7/31/08 A Big 20% Do to steel increase
Axeman Anderson went up 7% so far
Harman also went up 7%
Keystoker up 5% so far
All Others Will Follow
Last edited by coal berner on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: stoker-man On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:17 am

An efm stoker/boiler is probably 98% steel and cast iron. If the price of steel goes up 25% in one day, as it did for every boiler maker, the price of the unit also has to increase if one wants to stay in business.

When a company orders steel, it can make a certain amount of product. We had enough steel to make X amount of boilers. When steel was ordered for the next batch of boilers, it was 25% higher in price. We advised our dealers that we had a certain amount of stokers that were available at the old price and they sold out in minutes, literally. Any stoker ordered after that incurred a steep price increase (less than 25%) and wouldn't be available until September.

We have a set price that our dealers pay for a unit. What they mark it up is their business. I would say to shop around.

Don't think that the other boiler makers won't equally raise their prices, as well. Unless they are going out of business.
stoker-man
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: gaw On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:53 am

I don't stick up for price gouging but if you take into consideration the increase in steel prices which translates to a wholesale price increase of the unit itself. High fuel prices which results in higher shipping costs. The cost of having a business, like keeping the lights on and taxes and salaries; all these things keep going up. Maybe the dealer in question is gouging and maybe it is a justifiable and necessary price increase. It is up to everyone to do their homework and shop around for the best deal they can get. Something tells me prices will not be going down anytime soon.
gaw
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:15 am

Richard S. wrote:Price increases are to be expected when you have a product everyone wants, its called capitalism and is one of the things that has made this country what it is today.


Problem is Richard, that there is a difference between capitalism & criminality & I feel that allot of what is being excused for as capitalism is really just good old criminal behavior. Restraint of Trade & Price Fixing are not capitalism....They are crimes.
Was Al Capone a criminal or just a successful capitalist?

(obviously not limiting myself to stove dealers here) :D
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:24 am

Devil5052 wrote:Restraint of Trade & Price Fixing are not capitalism....They are crimes.


That's where your argument fails, there are other dealers. As I said, if you don't like it go elsewhere. It's as simple as that. If you really think it's outrageous open your own shop, you could even invest a couple million and start building them yourself. ;)
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:47 am

Richard S. wrote:that's where your argument fails, there are other dealers. As I said, if you don't like it go elsewhere.



But.........(you knew there was going to be a "But" in here.... :) ) If all the "stove dealers" get together (over the Godfather's house one night) & agree to set an artificially high price, then you can't "go elsewhere."
(we of course know I'm not really talking about stove dealers here, right?)
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:58 am

There's already a thread if you want to discuss your opinion on the gas prices, this is not the place for it.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:09 am

Richard S. wrote:There's already a thread if you want to discuss your opinion on the gas prices, this is not the place for it.



Whatever do you mean Richard??? (who mentioned gas prices?? ;) )
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Bad Dealers

PostBy: LsFarm On: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:29 am

AH,, those 'conspiracy pills' just kicked in again I see... :D :lol:

Greg L
LsFarm
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland