Obama and gun control

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: SuperBeetle On: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Fortunately the VFD here is less than a half mile away and I have a hydrant right out front. These guys do a very good job. We have one police officer that works 40 hours a week. He's a great guy. When he is off duty we are covered by the state police. They are stationed about 9 miles from here and the response time is very slow. There is always a possibility that one of them could be closer than that but very unlikely from may past experiences with them. 20 minutes (on a good day) just doesn't work.
SuperBeetle
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: homecomfort On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:39 am

according to FBI statistics, if anyone believes them, a gun owner, is 15 times more likely to be killed by a weapon, than protected by it. sounds good to me.
homecomfort
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Franco-Belge,+ Penn Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: Normandie, + Chubby

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:41 am

homecomfort wrote:according to FBI statistics, if anyone believes them, a gun owner, is 15 times more likely to be killed by a weapon, than protected by it. sounds good to me.


No, I'm not going to believe a claim that generic FBI statistics show that a "gun owner is 15 times more likely to be killed by a weapon, then protected by it."

First, let's define weapon. A weapon can be anything that is used to inflict bodily harm on someone, etc, a gun, a knife, a chair, a lead pipe, you get the idea. My VA carry conceal permit allows me to carry my 18inch machete concealed if I chose to do so. So what weapon does the "FBI" statistics you claim to have say gun owners are killed by. And while we're at let's look at the location the death occurs at. Is it in the home or out, is this in self defense or as victims? Just wondering because that all makes a difference doesn't it. That's why a link to your reference is important if you want us to believe you or should we just accept this as fact and pass it along. I'm going to question it because you have revealed yourself to be a leftist and you flavor all your postings with that bias.

Second, we have to look at the scenario. Are you looking in the home or out? Is this a homicide or a suicide? Domestic argument? I'm going to go with the in the Home scenario. Arthur Kellermann published a report: "Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home," New England Journal of Medicine, October 7, 1993, Vol. 329 No. 15, pp. 1084-91 that clearly shows your claim is bogus. Check it out at http://www.guncite.com/gun-control-kell ... times.html. I know the data is considered old but when I checked out "the FBI" statistics I discovered that over all crime is down so I can safely assume that the 2.7 risk of being killed by a personally owned gun in the home stated in 1993 has gone down as well. This data can be confirmed easily from other reputable sources, including the NRA and most local Police depts. Just do a google search like I did.

Homecomfort, I see that you are new to our little family. Please understand, anyone is free to post here (thank you mayor) but if you make claims such as you did here, they will be questioned and proven wrong if they are indeed wrong. Arguing with documented facts is hard to do intelligently but go for it. Just provide your links so we can determine it is a fact, not a personal opinion. Have a great day, Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I


Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: baddawg On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 am

samhill wrote:Baddawg, why not enlighten everyone with all this under the radar information?


Try a google search for "obama under the radar" or "obama brady under the radar
baddawg
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer BV

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: baddawg On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 am

homecomfort wrote:
jpete wrote:
homecomfort wrote:What are all of the guns, and gun rights actually supposed to protect people from? other guns ??


Yes. Specifically the ones the government employs.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.


Good Luck with that one. I would not want to go toe to toe against the United States military.



Homecomfort, how about this for a quote. : "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing."
baddawg
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer BV

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:37 am

Baddawg, the only two gun laws that I found signed by Obama, (1)allowing guns to be transported in luggage on AMTRAK, (2) allowing liscensed loaded weapons to be carried in National Parks.
Don't know if anything ever happened with it but I believe Bush OKed fully automatic weapons again. That one makes me feel safe, don't know why ant law abiding person would need one but in the past I think somebody here said some states allow them for hunting, which makes me wonder what "hunter"would need one.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:11 am

Only a hunter that does not understand the concept of HUNTING sam, which is why I've only bow-hunted for the past 20 yrs. Too many A-holes out there. Not all, just too many. :(
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: rberq On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:26 am

I gave up deer hunting in my teens. There were more people in the woods than on the streets, all just itching for something to move so they could shoot at it. The only way I felt safe was to find a small fir to hide under so no one would see me move, but sitting still like that got awfully cold awfully fast.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:35 am

samhill wrote:Don't know if anything ever happened with it but I believe Bush OKed fully automatic weapons again. That one makes me feel safe, don't know why ant law abiding person would need one but in the past I think somebody here said some states allow them for hunting, which makes me wonder what "hunter"would need one.

Bush never OKed full autos because they were never illegal in the first place. No state allows hunting with full auto weapons to my knowledge and any hunter that needs one shouldn't be hunting. That said, the Second Amendment says you have a right to bear arms, what that may be is the bearer's choice.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: SuperBeetle On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:51 am

homecomfort wrote:according to FBI statistics, if anyone believes them, a gun owner, is 15 times more likely to be killed by a weapon, than protected by it. sounds good to me.


And whom do you rely on to protect yourself and loved ones? I don't believe the FBI, that's for sure. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.
SuperBeetle
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Coaledsweat, I never said that Bush OKed FAW for hunting, that was someone on the forum way back for some states, There was a law against either owning of selling them that I believe Bush my have lifted, (not sure) I'm pretty sure you can have one with a special license.
As for the right to bear arms I don't really think they were referring to arms that were never even thought of at the time. The same goes for the well regulated militia, every body seems to forget about that part, IMO that would reference today's ready reserve & national guard. Don't get me wrong on this I'm a gun owner & believe everyone has that right but I shutter to think of some people running around with any type of arm they may choose.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:38 pm

samhill wrote:Coaledsweat, I never said that Bush OKed FAW for hunting, that was someone on the forum way back for some states, There was a law against either owning of selling them that I believe Bush my have lifted, (not sure) I'm pretty sure you can have one with a special license.
As for the right to bear arms I don't really think they were referring to arms that were never even thought of at the time. The same goes for the well regulated militia, every body seems to forget about that part, IMO that would reference today's ready reserve & national guard. Don't get me wrong on this I'm a gun owner & believe everyone has that right but I shutter to think of some people running around with any type of arm they may choose.

My responses to Bush and hunting were separate. NFA weapons require no special license unless an individual state may require it, It does require a tax stamp from ATF, without it, you're looking at twenty years. That said, I'm not sure why anyone would fear someone owning a legal full auto weapon. According to ATF, there has never been a crime committed with a legal NFA weapon to their knowledge.

I don't think the Founding Fathers really cared about what weapons (arms) that we would come up with in the future, their concern was the right to bear them.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:57 pm

I was referring to the possibility of someone using them hunting. It's bad enough around here in deer season, if you hear one shot that's great, when you hear one & then 3 or 4 more in quick succession that to me means they couldn't hit it good with the first shot when the had time. Now the deer is running & they are pumping shot after shot & in no way do they know what's in front or behind that deer that they couldn't hit standing still or walking slow, that's the thing that scares me.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: SMITTY On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Sam the reason Obama signed those 2 laws is because of INTENSE PRESSURE from people like myself. He couldn't get what he wanted unless he signed the bill with those laws in it.


SuperBeetle wrote:
homecomfort wrote:according to FBI statistics, if anyone believes them, a gun owner, is 15 times more likely to be killed by a weapon, than protected by it. sounds good to me.


And whom do you rely on to protect yourself and loved ones? I don't believe the FBI, that's for sure. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

So far every post I've read from homecomfort has been hit-and-run inflammatory BS, so this is just another one to add to the list. Guess he likes stirring up conservatives from mom's basement. :roll:
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Obama and gun control

PostBy: lumpocoal On: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:07 pm

lol
lumpocoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Englander