Not enough heat.....

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: rockwood On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:57 pm

rewinder wrote:Hey rberg has the solution--- see fig H in this sketch from field--

By rotating the T till the face is plumb, then leveling the hindge pins you're set!


You should change the baro as suggested here. If you let the fire go out, just do it then. :)
rockwood
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic coal furnace
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Soft coal: Lump and stoker (slack coal)

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: reckebecca On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:57 pm

rberq wrote:And about that baro positioning: it is unusual to say the least. Let the stove burn out and cool off. Unscrew the baro tee at both ends. Rotate the tee so the opening faces away from the back wall (toward the camera, in the picture), and you should be able to get the face of the baro plumb or MUCH closer to plumb than it is now. Then by rotating the baro body within the opening you can level it, and get rid of most or all of the extra weight you added.


This, combined with "rewinder's" description and pics, I think I understand now how this could work - I'll give it a shot before trying the elbow in the T idea.

Thanks everyone!
reckebecca
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Saey 92

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:17 pm

reckebecca wrote:
rberq wrote:And about that baro positioning: it is unusual to say the least. Let the stove burn out and cool off. Unscrew the baro tee at both ends. Rotate the tee so the opening faces away from the back wall (toward the camera, in the picture), and you should be able to get the face of the baro plumb or MUCH closer to plumb than it is now. Then by rotating the baro body within the opening you can level it, and get rid of most or all of the extra weight you added.


This, combined with "rewinder's" description and pics, I think I understand now how this could work - I'll give it a shot before trying the elbow in the T idea.

Thanks everyone!


Don't think you'll need the el. rbergs got it solved.It should plum up if the run of pipe that the baro's T is on isn't tilted back toward the wall. If that run of pipe tilts too much to plumb the face, you could increase the stove pipe length that goes into the chimney thimble from the highest el until it does plum up. Will look better too :)
VigIIPeaBurner
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: reckebecca On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:20 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote: Will look better too :)


Now, see, there's the most important part, right there! :D
reckebecca
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Saey 92

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:25 pm

reckebecca wrote:
VigIIPeaBurner wrote: Will look better too :)


Now, see, there's the most important part, right there! :D


Do I EVER know that for certain! :) :D :lol:
VigIIPeaBurner
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: reckebecca On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:31 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
reckebecca wrote:
VigIIPeaBurner wrote: Will look better too :)


Now, see, there's the most important part, right there! :D


Do I EVER know that for certain! :) :D :lol:


LOL! Functional's good but, if you can add lookin' good on top well, that's just the cats meow!
reckebecca
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Saey 92

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:21 pm

reckebecca wrote:The manual states that .03-.04 is "ideal" for the stove for optimum burn.


I don't think that "ideal" is the same as "highest output", but that it is a balance between heat and economy at that rate. If you want more heat, you will have to burn fuel at a higher rate.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:52 pm

This is why we like pictures!
Unless we can 'see' the install you may never properly describe the install.
Level and plumb the baro and the draft issues caused by the faulty install will be solved.
With the short flue height give the Nut a try!
Even a mix of Nut and Pea will work.
You should be able to roast yourself out of that room if you cared to!
CapeCoaler
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: reckebecca On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:59 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:This is why we like pictures!
Unless we can 'see' the install you may never properly describe the install.
Level and plumb the baro and the draft issues caused by the faulty install will be solved.
With the short flue height give the Nut a try!
Even a mix of Nut and Pea will work.
You should be able to roast yourself out of that room if you cared to!


Yes, I'm glad that you asked for them! I knew that level was important - I didn't get (until today!) that plumb is as important for the baro.

With the heat I'm getting out of it now with the front vents closed I'm a little a'scared to fix the baro if that means it will put out even more heat! :~) But, I will fix it since it's the right (and safe) thing to do!

I will see if my local supplier does bagged so that I can get some of the nut to try.

Thanks again.
reckebecca
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Saey 92

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: reckebecca On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:01 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
reckebecca wrote:The manual states that .03-.04 is "ideal" for the stove for optimum burn.


I don't think that "ideal" is the same as "highest output", but that it is a balance between heat and economy at that rate. If you want more heat, you will have to burn fuel at a higher rate.


That makes sense - hadn't thought about them being more concerned with economy vs. heat output.
reckebecca
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Saey 92

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: rewinder On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:09 pm

I'd wait till you fix the baro, pea coal is what the manual reccomended I think. You'll be able to control the output by lowering the control rod to a lower number.

And don't be concerned when you see the manometer read .02 to .03 when the outside temps get 40 to 50, you probably won't be running the stove above 300, and the baro will still be pulling open some .

Happy New Year's Heat!
rewinder
 
Stove/Furnace Make: VT Castings--early models
Stove/Furnace Model: Vigilant, and Resolute

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Most chain hardware stores will carry Blaschak Coal, this will get you a decent and consistent quality coal from just about any location.
$7 or less for a 40 lb bag, get a few bags, 10 or so to burn when it gets cold.
I keep 10 bags in the bed of the truck for weight/traction.
CapeCoaler
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: gambler On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:57 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:Most chain hardware stores will carry Blaschak Coal,


I don't know where becca is from but there is no coal sold at hardware stores where I am from. I think this luxury only exists for you guys on the coast.
gambler
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: reckebecca On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:15 pm

gambler wrote:
CapeCoaler wrote:Most chain hardware stores will carry Blaschak Coal,


I don't know where becca is from but there is no coal sold at hardware stores where I am from. I think this luxury only exists for you guys on the coast.


I'm in the Finger Lakes region of NY - might Agway carry it? I'm thinking that my coal supplier must carry nut, just not sure if he does bagged or not. The pea I'm burning is Blaschak Coal.

I'll tell ya though, now that I've got this thing cookin' it's puttin' out the serious heat I was anticipating when I put it in - couldn't have gotten there without you guys! The blue ladies have been dancing all day! The dog has headed to the other end of the house 'cause it's too hot for him in the living room! I love it!
reckebecca
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Saey 92

Re: Not enough heat.....

PostBy: WNY On: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:17 pm

Down here in Olean, NY, the local hardware store (worth w. smith) sells coal, bagged and pallet full.
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Visit Hitzer Stoves