Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: andyace On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Does anyone know if they make a metal one?, the plastic one melts if you have a power outage...
andyace
 
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing 3

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: DOUG On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

I believe the Alaska uses a Tri-burner and they do make a metal fan blade replacement for the Tri-burner. I purchased one for around $35.00 from a Reading dealer. :idea: :)
DOUG
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CHUBBY, D.S.MACHINE BOILER
Stove/Furnace Model: CLAYTON 1600

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: Matthaus On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:06 pm

Are you running a Triburner style Alaska (combined combustion fan and stoker assembly)?

Just replace the fan with an external fan unit, 30 to 60 SCFM that will fit over the inlet. Your stove will operate better and you won't have any more issues with burned out fans. :)
Matthaus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: andyace On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Its a channing 3, they have an external fan that replaces the squirrel type?
andyace
 
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing 3

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: DOUG On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Mathaus is right!!! I converted my Tri-burner with an external blower fan. You can get it through Grainger, part 1TDN7, $59.70. It burns the coal much more completely and you'll be much happier with the unit. I don't know what I was thinking, not to recommend that earlier. I have two metal fan blade wheels I'm not using anymore on the shelf. After converting, you'll never go back the way it was. It works so much better!!! :idea: :)
DOUG
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CHUBBY, D.S.MACHINE BOILER
Stove/Furnace Model: CLAYTON 1600

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: Matthaus On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Yes, you can search ebay for a fan and save yourself some money, if I remember correctly the flue outlet is right under the stoker (unless you have a top vent), so you will need a low profile fan or fashion a right angle adapter.

I attached a pic of a stove with the external fan mounted.
Attachments
P1010419.JPG
(142.31 KiB) Viewed 113 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Alaska Stove with external combustion fan, modified linkage and Coal-Trol
[nepathumb]9728[/nepathumb]
Matthaus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: andyace On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:13 pm

DOUG wrote:Mathaus is right!!! I converted my Tri-burner with an external blower fan. You can get it through Grainger, part 1TDN7, $59.70. It burns the coal much more completely and you'll be much happier with the unit. I don't know what I was thinking, not to recommend that earlier. I have two metal fan blade wheels I'm not using anymore on the shelf. After converting, you'll never go back the way it was. It works so much better!!! :idea: :)



what mods if any are required to fit this fan in, can someone post a picture so I can see how it goes on?

Also I did my first cleaning today, after i put back on the exhause fan and motor it is more noisey than normal, any suggestions?
andyace
 
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing 3

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: andyace On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Matthaus wrote:Yes, you can search ebay for a fan and save yourself some money, if I remember correctly the flue outlet is right under the stoker (unless you have a top vent), so you will need a low profile fan or fashion a right angle adapter.

I attached a pic of a stove with the external fan mounted.


I am not sure if this would work for mine
andyace
 
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing 3

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: andyace On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Matthaus wrote:Are you running a Triburner style Alaska (combined combustion fan and stoker assembly)?

Just replace the fan with an external fan unit, 30 to 60 SCFM that will fit over the inlet. Your stove will operate better and you won't have any more issues with burned out fans. :)


It has three fans so I don't think this would work...
andyace
 
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing 3

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: Matthaus On: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:35 pm

How about a picture? Sounds like you already have a separate combustion fan, if so just call Alaska or the dealer and order a metal fan. I am thinking though that if your stove is direct vent and you are melting plastic fans when the power goes off then you might want to hook the direct vent to some kind of an UPS to keep it running long enough to vent the hot gas till it goes out.

Bottom line is we can probably help you if we have more information. :)
Matthaus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite

Re: Alaskan Squirrel cage fan

PostBy: andyace On: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:58 am

Matthaus wrote:How about a picture? Sounds like you already have a separate combustion fan, if so just call Alaska or the dealer and order a metal fan. I am thinking though that if your stove is direct vent and you are melting plastic fans when the power goes off then you might want to hook the direct vent to some kind of an UPS to keep it running long enough to vent the hot gas till it goes out.

Bottom line is we can probably help you if we have more information. :)


I will have to look into it more, thanks fo rte info
andyace
 
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing 3

Visit Lehigh Anthracite