Buying a new stove... Need help.

Which stove?

Keystoker
6
55%
Harman TLC 2000
4
36%
Old Colbrookdale Darby
1
9%
 
Total votes : 11

Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: Angelo On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm set on a hand fired stove. Keystoker, Harman TLC 2000, or an old Colbrookdale Darby. What do you people think I should get? :?:
Angelo
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC 2000

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: channing On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:51 pm

I have had a Harmen Mark III for ten years now. Love the stove hate the company. No customer service and parts are expensive. Channing
channing
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Mark III

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: zeeklu On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:14 pm

I have a TLC2000 and am very happy with it.My dealer has been great. Chris
zeeklu
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil fired boiler
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC 2000

Visit Hitzer Stoves

TLC 2000

PostBy: eelhc On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:12 pm

zeeklu wrote:I have a TLC2000 and am very happy with it.My dealer has been great. Chris


The TLC2000 seems to have a ash bucket/bin that's the size of a stoker's. Harman advertises 60hr burn times. How often do you have to fill, shake down and empty in deep winter?
eelhc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Magnum Stoker

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:13 pm

No matter which brand name you buy, I recommend one with gravity feed hopper inside the stove. That's just my opinion.
oliver power
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: Angelo On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:16 pm

zeeklu wrote:I have a TLC2000 and am very happy with it.My dealer has been great. Chris


2 questions about the TLC. How does it burn wood and who is your dealer?
Angelo
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC 2000

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: zeeklu On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:03 pm

The 60 hour burn time is very optimistic in my opinion.I have let it go 36 hours but it wasn't putting out much heat. It can burn wood but I haven't tried it yet. I bought it from SOS Stoves in Mansfield NJ. They were very helpful and did everything they said when they said they would.Where are you located? Chris
Last edited by Richard S. on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>
zeeklu
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil fired boiler
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC 2000

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:27 pm

zeeklu wrote:The 60 hour burn time is very optimistic in my opinion.I have let it go 36 hours but it wasn't putting out much heat. It can burn wood but I haven't tried it yet. I bought it from SOS Stoves in Mansfield NJ. They were very helpful and did everything they said when they said they would.Where are you located? Chris


I agree...60 hrs is ridiculous. I would say 24 hrs at a very low temp, but in really cold weather when you'r running it at 250-300* or more, you really need to shake down/reload every 12 hrs , for an easy reload. It's a great stove & will burn wood fine too, but it's still a hand-fired & needs to be fed regularly!
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: Angelo On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:04 pm

zeeklu wrote:The 60 hour burn time is very optimistic in my opinion.I have let it go 36 hours but it wasn't putting out much heat. It can burn wood but I haven't tried it yet. I bought it from SOS Stoves in Mansfield NJ.http://www.sosstoves.com/?coal They were very helpful and did everything they said when they said they would.Where are you located? Chris


Thanks for the website, I'll check it out tomorrow. We're from Hardyston, New Jersey. We're looking forward to burning coal, but we just can't seem to find the right stove.

Devil505 wrote:I agree...60 hrs is ridiculous. I would say 24 hrs at a very low temp, but in really cold weather when you'r running it at 250-300* or more, you really need to shake down/reload every 12 hrs , for an easy reload. It's a great stove & will burn wood fine too, but it's still a hand-fired & needs to be fed regularly!


That's what I'm doing with wood right now, and it would be great if I had the option to use some of the leftover wood I have at the moment but still be able to burn any coal that I buy.
Angelo
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC 2000

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Angelo wrote:That's what I'm doing with wood right now, and it would be great if I had the option to use some of the leftover wood I have at the moment but still be able to burn any coal that I buy.


You'll find coal is much easier to control & gives a constant heat, unlike wood. Try coal for a week & you'll never go back to wood! ;)
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

PostBy: baldeagle On: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Angelo,



Re: Buying a new stove... Need help.

New postBy: oliver power On: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:13 pm
No matter which brand name you buy, I recommend one with gravity feed hopper inside the stove. That's just my opinion.

Agree with oliver power, gravity soker gives a good hot 12 burn without any attention and we nurse our's thru a 30 hour weekend without needing to relight. If you have an existing fireplace inserts are more than adequate but freestanding seems to give somewhat more heat. baldeagle; welcome to the forum!
baldeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer 354
Stove/Furnace Model: Hitzer 503

Visit Hitzer Stoves