Harman owners: What kind of floor protection?

Re: Harman owners: What kind of floor protection?

PostBy: longhorn rancher On: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:58 pm

Anyone using a heat shield on the back of a Harmon to reduce rear clearance, I am considering a Mark series but the rear clearance 24" puts the stove a long ways out in the room?
longhorn rancher
 
Stove/Furnace Make: harmon
Stove/Furnace Model: pellet insert

Re: Harman owners: What kind of floor protection?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:45 pm

longhorn rancher wrote:I am considering a Mark series but the rear clearance 24" puts the stove a long ways out in the room?


Check out the Harman TLC2000.....16" clearance with that one. (has an attached heat shield built in) & will take bigger wood logs.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/specifications.asp?id=7
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Harman owners: What kind of floor protection?

PostBy: 009to090 On: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Careful wrote:Not 4" clearance. 4" of mill board. That sounds excessive to me. and mill board is not cheap stuff. I'm wondering if a regular stove pad would satisfy the inspector.


Before you do anything, call the inspector. Talk to him. Let him tell you exactly what he will be looking for.
My Harman DVC-500 sits on 1/4" ceramic tile. But the tile is on a slab in lower level of house.

Chris F.
009to090
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Harman owners: What kind of floor protection?

PostBy: 009to090 On: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:05 pm

DVC500_at_last wrote:
Careful wrote:Not 4" clearance. 4" of mill board. That sounds excessive to me. and mill board is not cheap stuff. I'm wondering if a regular stove pad would satisfy the inspector.


Before you do anything, call the inspector. Talk to him. Let him tell you exactly what he will be looking for.
My Harman DVC-500 sits on 1/4" ceramic tile. But the tile is on a slab in lower level of house.

Chris F.



Ooops, I thought you were discussing the floor mat. The title says FLOOR PROTECTION. Do you really mean Clearances to combustables on the sides?

Chris F.
009to090
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Re: Harman owners: What kind of floor protection?

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:55 pm

longhorn rancher wrote:Anyone using a heat shield on the back of a Harmon to reduce rear clearance, I am considering a Mark series but the rear clearance 24" puts the stove a long ways out in the room?


I burn a Mark II without the built in heat shield. We have a custom made heat shield in the back just at the 24 inch mark. Yes the stove does extend in the room but it is what it is. The Mark II heats well and is easy to maintain. Those two issues make the 24 inches of rear clearance a non issue to us. Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I

Re: Harman owners: What kind of floor protection?

PostBy: stonyloam On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Careful: K value is basically the reciprocal of R value (1/R=K), so it is calculated in a per inch basis:

K-Value Example: A stove may call for a floor which has a K factor of .84 or less. A product such as J-Therm Board has a K-Value of approx .78 per inch (@800F). Therefore a 1” thickness of this board would have a K-Value of .78, which meets the requirement of our example stove."

K-Value Example 2: A stove may call for a floor which has a K factor of .84 or less. Brick has a K-Value of approx 5 per inch. Therefore a 5” thickness brick would have a K-Value of 1.0, which does not meet the requirement of our example stove.

K-Value Example 3: A stove may call for a floor which has a K factor of .84 or less. Brick has a K-Value of approx 5 per inch. you would need 6 inches of brick. Micor 300 has a K value of .43 per inch. You would need 1/2 inch of Micor. Or a combination of 3.5" of brick and 1/4 inch of Micor to meet the spec.

from: http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/ar ... t_all_mean

They have a nice little chart there.

Hope this helps.

Terry
stonyloam
 
Stove/Furnace Make: vermont casting
Stove/Furnace Model: vigilant

Visit Hitzer Stoves