Responsibility

Responsibility

PostBy: Devil505 On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:43 pm

It used to be, long ago when we were settling this nation (some would say stealing it from the Native Americans, but that is another topic) that we were all responsible for providing everything our families needed..... or we would perish. Food, shelter, protection, medical care, heat, entertainment....Everything! Over the years, we have learned to dole out those jobs to the point that now, we don't need to do anything for ourselves anymore. Just pick up the phone & someone will provide for us & our families.This "Blessing" has turned us into a nation of fat, lazy dependents who can't do anything for ourselves anymore. Toilet leaks?...we pick up the phone & have a plumber fix it ; Hear a strange noise at night? ....we pick up the phone & have the local police investigate it. Want a Pizza? ....we pick up the phone & have someone else make it.....& deliver it; Roof leaks? ....we pick up the phone & have someone else fix it; Snowstorm?....we pick up the phone & have someone else shovel/plow it; Grass grows?....we pick up the phone & have someone else mow it; House needs painting?....we pick up the phone & have someone else paint it ; Kids don't obey us?....we pick up the phone & have a child psychiatrist give them some pills.

You get the point.....
I could go on all night!! We try to take no responsibility for anything anymore...We are a nation of "Finger Pointers"..."It's his fault!"...."It's their fault!".....It's disgusting!!

This forum represents one of the few groups I know of where most of us will pick up the phone & "begrudgingly" call for help as a LAST RESORT! We'll try to fix the problem ourselves & often are the first ones to lend a needy neighbor a hand, when we can help.
(Just look at Freddy.....I'll bet he makes his own TOOTHPASTE!! :P :lol: )

The next time someone is running for political office, we should have him/her answer just one simple question: Do you heat your house with a coal stove? :cheers:
Last edited by Devil505 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: tsb On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Years ago, success meant that you were still alive come spring.
Next couple of years will be interesting.
tsb
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: Richard S. On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:27 pm

I can agree with everything but the Pizza, they have been making pizza in this area since...well forever. I'm only a few miles from Old Forge (not the one near Philly)which is the self proclaimed pizza capital of the world. There's a lot of Italian families here and a lot of pizza places. You simply cannot make pizza like the pizza place. :P Most do not have delivery so you still have to go get it yourself, does that count?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/03/24/pi ... index.html
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite


Re: Responsibility

PostBy: tsb On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Richard,

Read the article about Old Forge. The last line kinda threw me a little.

"I wish I had another hand instead of a mouth," she says.

Hope we're still talking about Pizza !

TSB
tsb
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: Devil505 On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Richard S. wrote:You simply cannot make pizza like the pizza place. :P Most do not have delivery so you still have to go get it yourself, does that count?


Probably not Richard.....As "The Mayor" you probably have your chauffeur pick it up!! :P :lol:
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: acesover On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Chef Boyardee, make your own, it's the best.
Ray
acesover
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Baker
Stove/Furnace Model: insert, modified

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: slu On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:26 pm

Devil505 wrote:I could go on all night!! We try to take no responsibility for anything anymore...We are a nation of "Finger Pointers"..."It's his fault!"...."It's their fault!".....It's disgusting!!

This forum represents one of the few groups I know of where most of us will pick up the phone & "begrudgingly" call for help as a LAST RESORT! We'll try to fix the problem ourselves & often are the first ones to lend a needy neighbor a hand, when we can help.
(Just look at Freddy.....I'll bet he makes his own TOOTHPASTE!! :P :lol: )

The next time someone is running for political office, we should have him/her answer just one simple question: Do you heat your house with a coal stove? :cheers:


...or a wood stove - for those of us that are "backward".

Devil505, I totally agree with you on this one.
slu
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hearthstone

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: Devil505 On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:49 pm

slu wrote:..or a wood stove - for those of us that are "backward".

Devil505, I totally agree with you on this one.


Thanks but I would disqualify wood stove burners just on the basis of.......Being to dumb to elect!! :P :lol:
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: coalmeister On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Dev and I agree!! :cheers:
coalmeister
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska 140 Furnace -sold
Stove/Furnace Model: Harmon VF3000 -sold

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: Dann757 On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Wow I didn't realize how much I do for myself. I guess I live under the radar.
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
(501.5 KiB) Viewed 5 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]10792[/nepathumb]
Dann757
 

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: slu On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Devil505 wrote:
slu wrote:..or a wood stove - for those of us that are "backward".

Devil505, I totally agree with you on this one.


Thanks but I would disqualify wood stove burners just on the basis of.......Being to dumb to elect!! :P :lol:


:shock: All I can say to that is anthracite is as foreign to these parts as common sense is to 'inside the Beltway'. Bituminous could probably be had if you traveled an hour to an old sub-surface mine site and scratched around. There are no 'coal yards' anymore, they went the way of the ice houses that used to sell coal along with block ice.

Wood might be dusty, messy, labor intensive (to me), and not have the BTU's of coal, but when all I have to do is walk out the back door to get all we'll ever need for heating and, if need be, hot water and cooking capabilities and I am dependent on no one, but me, and me alone, to provide it.....well, in this world and the way it's heading, that is a feeling that not too many folks can claim to have. And that's with no dependence on electricity, either. Not that I want to do an extended time without it, but I've done it and it can be done again without as much transition as a hiccup. Few, precious few folks can claim to be that independent of the 'grid'. Not that many would want to, but we have that 'grace', if it ever was needed.

What was it you said about responsibility? That's about as responsible as I can get at the moment. :)
slu
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hearthstone

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: Devil505 On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:52 pm

slu wrote:All I can say to that is anthracite is as foreign to these parts as common sense is to 'inside the Beltway'.


Alright..Alright.....I guess we can cut you a little slack for burning wood when anthracite isn't readily available to you....... & most of us started out burning wood too. I'll make a bet with you though.....Find anthracite, burn it for 1 month & you will never go back to burning wood! ;) (you'll sell all you plentiful wood, find a supplier of anthracite coal & never look back!) :up: :devil:
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: slu On: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Devil505 wrote: I'll make a bet with you though.....Find anthracite, burn it for 1 month & you will never go back to burning wood! ;) (you'll sell all you plentiful wood, find a supplier of anthracite coal & never look back!) :up: :devil:


From the information I've read on this board, I can believe you on that. The last coal burning I was ever around was when I was a kid and there was coal still being burned in the school furnace and in a few, select, fireplace grates.

Funny, but I still like a whiff of coal smoke in the air on a cold winter's day (the sulphurous, bituminous smoke, I would imagine). I haven't smelled that in years.
slu
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hearthstone

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: Freddy On: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 am

Devil505 wrote:look at Freddy.....I'll bet he makes his own TOOTHPASTE!!



Ya? So? It does the job!

Want some of my spruce gum? (don't go telling me you don't know what spruce gum is!)
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Responsibility

PostBy: Devil505 On: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Freddy wrote: Devil505 wrote:look at Freddy.....I'll bet he makes his own TOOTHPASTE!!




Ya? So? It does the job!


I think I found a video of your son testing out your device!

Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000