This thread started with Mike asking my opinion about what the drug problem is in this country. We all will have our own opinions & an opinion cannot be either right or wrong.....It is yours to do with what you wish.
In this spirit, here are my opinions:
1. Legal or not, people are going to use drugs for recreational purposes, at least until a "Happy Ray" device is invented.
2. Since almost 100 years of costly law enforcement has failed to put a dent in illegal drug use, I think it only wise to conclude that another 100 years of the same thing will work no better.
3. Legalizing something will always cause a drastic lowering in the price due to greater availability & open competition.
4. Tax the drugs, make them available & safe to all adults, just like alcohol, which is also a drug. (Require an RX from a doctor for it, if that makes you feel better)
5. Think of the savings in anti-drug police efforts, prison space, court proceedings & the drastic reduction in street crime, which is usually drug related.
I think the government has no business telling adult, competent & law abiding individuals what they can & cannot do if it doesn't infringe on the rights of anyone else.
Disagree or agree if you will, but these are MY
opinions, speaking as someone with a good deal of experience in this field which I assume is why Mike asked me in the first place