I haven't posted in quite some time, but I figured this was the place to come to, for either answers or to cause some thought.
About 2 years ago, after seeing about 25 doctors concerning a problem I was having, I finally diagnosed it myself, to some extent.
My symptoms included, swollen glands in my neck, trouble swallowing (sometimes), lesions on my face, neck, head, and legs. Plus, when I went out in the cold to dump the ashes, I would have a wheezing in my throat, when I exhaled. Effects became worse, when I drank beer or wine. I became more sensitive to some foods. I had always had allergies .. mostly hay fever, but I was also allergic to sulfa drugs. All of the above had sulfites. (The doctors claim they are not the same.)
As I progressed though, to my diagnosis, I discovered, anything with sulfides and sulfites, in one form or another made things worse.
Backing up, the whole mess seemed to start at the same time as, a tooth abscess, root canal and extraction, 8 years before. Yes, this thing started and got worse for 8 years! The doctors didn't have a clue.
What I discovered, was that anaerobic bacteria can live with no food or oxygen and produce a toxin, hydrogen sulfide, which is right up there with cyanide! I had my dentist x-ray my jaw and he found that the bone had not grown shut (healed). I had the jaw excavated clear to the bottom of the removed tooth cavity. The doctors never said, what they found, but did say, "they thought, I would feel better".
Within a few weeks, I did feel better. However, last winter, my skin was very dry (I also take a diuretic for high B/P, which contains a sulfur compound) and as the winter progressed, my skin had an extensive amount of dermatitis. This season, the dermatitis, has started again.
Last year, I wondered, and again, this year, I wonder, is it from coal dust/sulfur? I tend to believe, that the fact that sulfates had given me all of the previous problems, my whole system may be compromised and overly sensitive to sulfur. Right now, my arms are the worse, although, my legs are a little itchy. I'm thinking, the dust may be from, when I scoop the coal from my bin. I did install a water hose at the bin, last year and wet the coal before moving it.
I found this article Airborne occupational allergic contact dermatitis from coal dust - Monzn - 2007 - Allergy - Wiley Online Library
Anybody else, who can relate to this malady?