Awesome display of Naval Aviation Skill and Bravery

Awesome display of Naval Aviation Skill and Bravery

PostBy: ktm rider On: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:58 pm

O.K. I was over at another forum talking about this incident and since some of you guys here are aviation buffs I figured i would share this story with you also.
I was an Aviation Boatswains Mate ( ABE ) on the USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72 AN ABE's job is to work the catapults and arresting gear on the flight deck. I only worked the catapults though and loved every second of it.
I remember this ( see link ) like it was yesterday. I remember switching my radio over and listening to the Air Boss talk to this pilot and he gave him two choices. Either eject by the boat and save himself ( but that would most likely mean losing his co pilot and good friend) or try and land the crippled A-6 on the deck with no barricade obviously. ( that could mean killing himself and the co pilot )
What an awesome display of naval avaiation skill !!!!! It had me holding my breath and praying there wouldn't be a crash right in front of me...

( if you scroll down there is a video of the actual landing.It's not very pretty but effective ) http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat/
ktm rider

Stove/Furnace Make: AHS Multifuel
Stove/Furnace Model: CO 55 with oil backup