U.S. Stove Grates

bverwolf

Post by bverwolf » Tue. Aug. 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Hello everyone! I have a Vogelzang norseman furnace. It is similair to a Hotblast or clayton. It has the cheap fragile grates that often break. Fortunately, my grates have not broke, but they have warped a little more than I would like. When I bought the stove, I put all the cast parts in the oven and "seasoned" them. I don't burn the stove very hot at all. If I do, we're opening windows. I am also careful about not shaking it down too much and I try to keep a fairly good layer of ash on the grates at all times. I am also careful about emptying my ash pan before it gets too full. I know this stove isn't known for its "good" design as the ash pan is small and fairly close to the grates. The grates warped in an odd way. The rear grate is warped up. The front grate is warped down. :? I would think that they would both warp down if I overheated them too much. Is this just a characteristic of poor cast? ....or could it just be the design of the stove and manner in which I tend it that is causing them to warp? Any others have this problem??

Ben

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”