Should I Buy My Friends Glenwood 109

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Tue. Aug. 31, 2010 10:57 pm

my friend owes me some money but he he has a fully restored glenwood 109 . he is asking 900$ . should I take the stove as part of payment . I have read that the 109 is a small glenwood . they must mean circumfirance because this stove is tall . is it designed the same as the other sizes . how many BTU's . how much coal will it hold . how much coal can I expect to burn in a day ? how much is this stove worth ?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 1:37 am

The Glenwood 109 is the smallest of the Glenwood Baseburner series I think. However, these stoves regardless of what size you get are the most efficient coal stoves ever made. If your friend wants to give it to you in payment for a debt then you are the clear winner. I don't know what the capacity of the 109 model is exactly but I think it has a 10 inch firepot. I would say conservatively that it is a 35,000 to 50,000 BTU per hour stove. If the stove has a magazine in it, then you can go for 2 or more days on one loading of coal. If not you can get 18 to 24 hour burn time with these on one loading of coal. You will have no unburned coal in the ash and have a stove that is excellent in every aspect from economy, ease of operation and maintenance.
They sell for about $1800 to $2000 dollars at the Antique Stove Hospital. Do a Google search of Antique Stove Hospital and on the web page he describes the high efficiency of these stoves. Give them a call and I'm sure they will be more than happy to tell a lot more about what the capacity of the stove is. If you do call tell me. I would like to know too.
In a word-TAKE IT. You will have a stove that you will fall in love with and you won't look back.
Here is a picture of the Glenwood 109

Attachments

1_0579aaeec5ae76f5c1d2264ca80fa855.jpg

Glenwood 109

.JPG | 6.2KB | 1_0579aaeec5ae76f5c1d2264ca80fa855.jpg

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 6:21 am

wsherrick wrote:If the stove has a magazine in it,
Is this stove so inteligent that it can read or so hostile that it is loaded for war? :lol: Just curious.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 8:21 am

JB Sparks wrote:
wsherrick wrote:If the stove has a magazine in it,
Is this stove so inteligent that it can read or so hostile that it is loaded for war? :lol: Just curious.
Ha, Ha, very funny. No,"magazine," is the proper term for what is now improperly called a,"hopper." Please see the bottom lines of this Ad describing an Andes Baseheater. It talks about the magazine. :)

Attachments

3826920.jpg

Page from Stove Catalog

.JPG | 157KB | 3826920.jpg

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 8:53 am

mason coal burner,
A few quick questions. Have you seen the stove? Does it have a pipe that goes down the back like in the picture here? If it does then it is a base burner, if not it is a direct draft standard stove. I don't know if Glenwood made these in a direct draft model or not. Probably not, but it is possible.

Attachments

1048_8136_17838.jpg

Baseheating Tubes in back of stove

.JPG | 79.9KB | 1048_8136_17838.jpg

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 6:14 pm

William, thanks for the info, I learn something new every day on this site.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Wed. Sep. 01, 2010 11:34 pm

i have seen the stove . it has the pipe on the back like the picture . I havn't been close to study it for cracks or things like that . from 10' it looks great . what is the differance between a base burner and direct draft stove . he got the stove free out of someones basement . he had it restored and it has set unused in his living room for the last 4-5 years . the hole on the back pipe hasn't even been cut in for exhaust flue yet . I need the money but i'm still waiting . maybe I could turn around and sell one of my 2 wood stoves or 2 coal stoves including this one .

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Sep. 02, 2010 12:20 am

Baseburners take the exhaust from the fire and directs it down the rear pipe through a baffle under the ash pan and then sends it back up the rear pipe before it finally exhausts out of the stove into the stove pipe. This more than doubles the radiating surface of the stove so that most of the heat goes into the area heated rather than being lost up the chimney. Also the extra time the gasses are in the system allows them to be burned thus releasing even more heat than you would get from a direct draft stove. So both combustion and radiating efficiency is greatly increased.
Click below on the link I put here for you. It describes the base heating process in detail along with photos to illustrate it. I'm using my Glenwood as an example. Again you will be hard pressed to find a better coal stove than a Glenwood Baseburner.

Glenwood Baseheater-Specs, Photos and Performance

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Sep. 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Can you get some detailed pictures of the stove and show them to us? It would be great if you could.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Thu. Sep. 02, 2010 7:27 pm

i will eventully get some pictures . I haven't talked about this with my friend . he kind of hinted to me a while ago . you siad this stove needs a strong draft . what do you think the minimum chimney hieght should be with one of these stoves ? how hard is it to sell one of these stoves ?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Sep. 02, 2010 7:45 pm

The question is...
Which do you need more the extra stove or the $900...
If the stove is worth $900 and you just want the cash...
It may be only worth $600 if you need to sell it quick...
If it was worth $900 your friend would have sold it himself...

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Thu. Sep. 02, 2010 8:15 pm

he did have it on craigslist once and it didn't sell . I don't think he really wants to sell it . he knows what he has and will never use it he likes to let it sit in his living room and look pretty . he doesn't need the money but may part with it if it means he won't have to take money out of his pocket to pay me . I have been debating about bringing my hitzer 82 ul upstairs . thinking I could save some money buy not running a fan and I think I would probably burn less coal . but then I saw some threads about how well the glenwoods work its alot better to look at than the hitzer . I thought I know where I can get one of those . not sure if this stove will do the job . if it did I could sell the hitzer . he had the glenwood for sale before I bought the hitzer I didnt know anything about them I wish I did . i'm not sure if the pipe in the back is divided like the ones in your drawings . what are the chances its not .

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Sep. 02, 2010 10:17 pm

The back pipe on the 109 is just like the other ones. It is really two pipes in one housing. One goes down to the base, the other comes back up to complete the circuit. If you want to keep it, we'll help you learn more about it.
If you want to sell it maybe somebody here would want it.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Fri. Sep. 03, 2010 9:32 pm

just found out today that we landed a new job . that will keep me working a few more months so I wont need the money so badly . I can now talk to my friend about the stove . I was really sweating it the last few weeks . I only had 1 week of work lined up until I got the good news today . no one is building real chimneys any more accept the rich that don't use them but thats ok they are the ones keeping me busy . now I can also make my trip to NEPA to get some coal . how about the chimney hieght question .

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Sep. 04, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm glad you got some work to do. I've been out of work since the end of May. It's been a long, hard summer. The Glenwood takes a six inch pipe, so the flue should stay close to those dimensions. I would say at least 20 foot chimney should do well if it is built correctly. End the end your Baseburner yields anywhere from an 85 to 90% plus radiating efficiency and combustion efficiency is also at those levels too. Of course the knowledge of the operator has a lot to do with how well any stove will perform.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”