Lincoln's Anecdotes

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Sep. 22, 2010 3:52 pm

Lincoln was famous for being an expert story teller. Though I have read this many times I never actually read any of his stories. The question I had is, would his stories be funny today? Mark Twain and Will Rogers are still funny but is Lincoln?

Reading Doris Kearns Goodwin"s book "Team of Rivals" she included two of his stories which follow.

Ethan Allen at the conclusion of the Revolutionary War had occasion to visit England. His English friends decided to tease him about Americans and General Washington. As a prank they hung a picture of Washington in the outhouse. When they got no response from Mr. Allen they asked him what he thought of it. He answered them that he thought it entirely appropriate since nothing would make an Englishman *censored* faster than seeing General Washington.

A gentleman venerated Revolutionary War relics. Upon hearing that and old lady had a dress that she had worn during the Revolution, he went to see her and asked to see it. When shown the dress he reverently kissed it whereupon the old lady told him he should also kiss her ass since it was sixteen years older than the dress.

I think my question was answered. What do you think, and do you have any other stories that Lincoln told?

Return to “The Coffee House”