Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska Kodiac

Re: nuisance smoke from coal ?

PostBy: Sting On: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:10 pm

I keep trying
Sting

Other Heating: BurnHAM=NG-gas

PostBy: Berlin On: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 pm

this is the one of the few times it's been attributed to coal -possibly incorrectly. fairbanks has had problems lately with the abundance of outdoor boilers burning often green softwoods and creating an abundance of smoke in the valley.
Berlin

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

PostBy: murphyslaw On: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 pm

This all came about from outdoor boilers in general. Starting with the outdoor wood boilers. And coal is getting in the mix.

Most outdoor boilers have a stack height of about 8', studies have shown that they are more of a neusance then home systems with a stack height of 12-18'.

Not to mention fnsb suffers from a weather inversion, this causes any smoke and other pollutants to be socked in the city.

I still don't understand how they shut down the vehicle emissions program, and immediately started getting on heating sources. The truth of the matter is most of fnsb relies on fuel oil for heat, so of course they want to burn wood or coal. Not to mention who has the cash to purchas 15 cords of seasoned wood every year?
murphyslaw

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: Model 82

PostBy: Freddy On: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:54 am

Why notify one person? Here in Maine they notified every person. All outdoor boilers must not create a nuisance. If your neighbor has legitimate complaints you can be forced to shut down. In rare cases the state will buy your system (up to $10,000) if you agree to install a newer cleaner system and run it properly.
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

PostBy: Dann757 On: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 am

Ironic, I live in a money town with McMansions all over the place. Except us, and the hillbilly next door. A tree fell on their house going on 3 years ago and he still has a brown tarp over the hole in his roof. Their yard looks like a junkyard. The locals ask what is wrong with them. They have nice cars and professional jobs. They must have ten years worth of firewood stacked and tarped. Two storey house with decrepit chimneys on both ends, and I'm sure the guy has airtight woodstoves, since I get the smoldering smoke very often. Of course the prevailing breeze brings the smoke right up the hill and it penetrates my place. I swear the guy burns newspapers half the time. It's a nuisance to me all winter. I have to bite my tongue, there's not anything I can do about it. In the meantime, the only thing coming out of my chimney is convection currents and a slight sulfery smell on occaision.
Attachments
Picture 004.jpg
(244.06 KiB) Viewed 17 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]25566[/nepathumb]
Dann757