Happy National Donut Day

Happy National Donut Day

PostBy: samhill On: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:45 am

As you enjoy your traditional donut (doughnut) don't forget to give a little thought & thanks for the fine folks that volunteered to serve our troops, I for one was greatly thankful for all the Salvation Army did.
samhill

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Happy National Donut Day

PostBy: samhill On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Sad but true, once again it seems I'm the only one that makes sure to give a bit of thanks to all the Donut Dollies.
samhill

PostBy: waldo lemieux On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Sam,

Whats a donut dollie? Is it that topless donut place in Ft Lauderdale? If so Im thankfull every time I remember it. :D
waldo lemieux

Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

PostBy: samhill On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 pm

No such luck Waldo, that was the name given to the young ladies that volunteered to make & serve donuts to the soldiers serving during WW1 & continue on till today as far as I know I am sure of Viet Nam.
Part of the Salvation Army I believe.
samhill

PostBy: lsayre On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Up in Cleveland, Ohio there is a little hole in the wall of a donut shop called 'Jack Frost Donuts'. Arguably the best donuts in the nation. Family owned and operated for many decades. Seek it out of you are ever in Cleveland, OH.

BTW, is it donuts or doughnuts? Is this a regional thing?
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Sam, I believe they were with the USO & the Red Cross--I missed them in the Nam in 65-66 but they sure could put a smile on a guys face
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: samhill On: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Doughnuts is probably correct but the Pittsburgh area always called them donuts, aren't too many independent shops around any longer but many give away a free one today.
Not sure of who they were with Fred but I saw them in Cam Raun Bay when I was there I don't think they ever got in to many other areas but it sure was nice to see a round eye.
samhill

PostBy: gaw On: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:08 am

lsayre wrote:BTW, is it donuts or doughnuts? Is this a regional thing?

That would be Fastnacht.
gaw

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:37 am

The best donuts were in Slate Hill, NY to be enjoyed when they used fresh squeezed apple juice. The shop was at Warrens pig farm and his wife was a treasure. It all terminated when Warren backed up his AC WD45 tricycle gear tractor too fast and turned it over on himself and was pinned for way too long b4 dying. A huge man with a very long white beard that raised pigs and apparently had a HUGE life insurance policy. I think his wife has a mansion in Florida somewhere last I heard. The prevalence of diabetes in the Slate Hill area can be traced back to Warren and it was worth it.

He also made apple cider with his magic ingredients of a piece of iron chain and a pigs ear and his distilled cider drink (for want of a better term - 35% proof) was to die for (literally). All those distilled concentrated pesticides in a bottle caused brain damage I am sure and the recipe survives at the Warwick Valley Winery to this day. The pear drink is even worse and if I come on the 29th I will bring some if the locals have not drunk all last years crop. I'm surprised you PA guys never heard of him, it seems so much up your alley. Rumor has it you drink a bottle and then go rattlesnake hunting :shock: and if a snake bites you it dies a horrible death.

I hope my 45' Prevost RV can get up the mountain, the chandeliers do not like being shaken too much ....... HAAHAHAHAHA, I slay myself.
coalnewbie

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93,
Baseburners & Antiques: Invader 2 Wings Best, Glenwood #8 + Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

PostBy: dcrane On: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:49 am

samhill wrote:No such luck Waldo, that was the name given to the young ladies that volunteered to make & serve donuts to the soldiers serving during WW1 & continue on till today as far as I know I am sure of Viet Nam.
Part of the Salvation Army I believe.

Japan had the right idea for Donut Dollies in WW2 :lol:
dcrane

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404