Cleaning a 520

Cleaning a 520

PostBy: grassman On: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:36 pm

In the past I had our stoker cleaned by the dealer but many things have changed and have to do myself. I have the installation and operating manual but doesn't tell me alot on what needs to be cleaned. What is involved to cleaning. It has the oil burner for summer use but don't use it so only the coal needs to be done. In the past I did the chimney cleanout because the dealer didn't touch that. I never could watch it be cleaned because I was working. Is there a procedure in writing or how do you learn this? I am mechanically inclined but never touched the boiler. Thanks in advance. Matt
grassman

Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: DF 520

Re: Cleaning a 520

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:12 pm

There is a couple threads here that go into great detail on how to clean and maintain these fine boilers. And the correct tools to use. Someone will hopefully post those threads :)
Scottscoaled

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

PostBy: grassman On: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm hoping someone will post. I tried a search but didn't find to much. Thanks Matt
grassman

Stove/Furnace Model: DF 520

PostBy: creek44 On: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:46 pm

From reading past posts I know that the right size and shape of boiler brush is important, but I cannot find the specifics for the correct size of the brush. Would anyone that knows the specs for the correct brush be willing to select the proper brush from the bottom of page 14 (assuming it is one of those) in the following link from the Schaefer Brush Catalog?

http://www.schaeferbrush.com/_fileCabin ... tion_2.pdf

Thanks
creek44

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

PostBy: daluds On: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 pm

I just get one of the grill brushes with the long handle that end in a closed triangle. Works great if the boiler is cold.
daluds

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: EMF
Stove/Furnace Model: DF-520