Apple

Re: Apple

PostBy: Yanche On: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:42 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Lots of Apple products around here, iPhones, iPods, an iBook. I never bothered much with them, but once I bought the iMac I realized what all the fuss was about.

Just remember when you are buying all those new Apple products you are supporting high tech manufacturing in China. All Apple products are made by Foxxcon. See:
http://www.foxconn.com/CompanyIntro.html
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.

It's not low tech operation, like making sneakers with child labor, it's the latest CAD, automated assembly and test. Apple once made its products in Fremont, CA. It closed, sold the fab lines and contracted the job out to Foxconn. Apple and other high tech companies could chose to make products here, but they don't. Some argue because of automation the argument of cheap labor overseas is not a valid argument. America is loosing, big time.
Yanche

Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

PostBy: Richard S. On: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:54 am

Yanche wrote: Some argue because of automation the argument of cheap labor overseas is not a valid argument.

Cheap labor is only one factor.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 am

I'm sure China doesn't tax them into oblivion either.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:24 pm

My brother started out with a Kaypro, a box with two of the big floppy drives and a small green text screen. I threw that thing out after I got it as a hand me down. Now I regret it, collector's item. My brother has been running Mac's for years and years. I had a mac for a while and it was a good machine.
I'm certain my pc has malware or spyware or virus or something on it now. AVG Free takes hours to scan, then says "no infection found."
I can struggle through a complete re-install of XP including writing zeros to the hard drive, takes quite a while. This old box I use has 2 20 gig hard drives in it, virtually obsolete but it's good for surfing. I had to upgrade my other gaming pc to handle a sata video card, just to be able to shoot cartoon Nazis with cartoon bazookas :P ( Brother's In Arms, Hell's Highway)
Dann757

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 pm

PostBy: Yanche On: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Lots of Apple products around here, iPhones, iPods, an iBook. I never bothered much with them, but once I bought the iMac I realized what all the fuss was about.

Just remember when you are buying all those new Apple products you are supporting high tech manufacturing in China. All Apple products are made by Foxxcon. See:
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.

And if I had bought a new PC instead---where would that have come from?
Wood'nCoal

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm one of the Pod people! iMac, iPad and iPhone. Wonderful devices and easy to learn and use. Typing this reply on my iPad on the sofa watching TV along side my hand fired coal stove......the old and the new technologies. Best of both worlds!
Carbon12

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Almost 6 months and this iMac is still performing well, actually the same as it was when it was new. :D
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: Yanche On: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:

PostBy: Yanche On: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:42 pm

And if I had bought a new PC instead---where would that have come from?

Unfortunately, your PC is also likely made in China. If it's a lap top it's likely designed in Taiwan. At one time it would have also be manufactured in Taiwan, but now the demand for lower costs have pushed even the more difficult electronic items to be manufactured in mainland China. The desktops having more volume are easier to package and are likely both designed and manufactured in mainland China. The last major US manufacturing of desktop PCs was the IBM PC in North Carolina. But they sold that division, engineers and all to Lenovo, a mainland China company. IBM also sold their San Jose, CA disk drive division to Hatachi. The largest integrated circuit design and manufacturing facility in the world is TSMC in the Hsinchu Science Park in Hsinchu, Taiwan. Much larger than Intel, Sana Clara, CA.
Yanche

Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 pm

That's what I figured. But it sure would be nice to be able to buy a computer that was made in the USA.
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 pm

http://www.madeinusa.org/nav.cgi?data/comp

Here's a website that lists items or products made in America.
EarthWindandFire

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:41 pm

Still satisfied almost a year and a half into this iMac, now I have an iPhone as well. For what I use it for it works very well.
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: LDPosse On: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:28 pm

I've had my iMac since March 2010... Core i7 processor.. Still works great. Very pleased with it. They got me suckered in on the other platforms as well... Typing this post on my iPhone 5... Also have an iPad 2..
LDPosse

Stove/Furnace Make: DS Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: DS1500, Kozy King 100

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Windows on iMac JPEG.png
(877.15 KiB) Viewed 18 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
What the...?????
[nepathumb]41223[/nepathumb]
Wood'nCoal

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 pm

That's XP running in a virtual machine, Windows 7 has the same feature.

If you have program that will only run under XP you can use that to run it. It's not as efficient as using pure XP machine becsue you have the other OS in the background.

If you're going to use that be sure to run the update just like you would for any Windows machine.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Exactly!
I use Windows for 2 programs, Quicken Home and Business, and an Excel spreadsheet. XP was the latest I had on disc. I am running the updates. :D
Wood'nCoal