Pex Tubing

Pex Tubing

PostBy: yamaha On: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 am

I just bought a DS Stove to tie in with my oil boiler last week. Can I tie the two together using pex tube?
yamaha

Stove/Furnace Make: DS Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: 3200

Re: Pex Tubing

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:37 am

Most pex tubing can handle about 200 degrees F at the pressure typical for a residential boiler...copper or iron pipe would be a much safer bet...and even with rigid pipe you should have the proper controls to keep the temperature in check.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Wiz On: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Friend did his with pexs and regrets doing it. What happens with high temps the pexs will sag like a wet noodle. I would use copper or iron pipe then insulate piping.
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: JeepinPete On: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:48 am

I am using pex-al-pex for the runs, but I have a tempering valve installed to keep the temps at 180 or below. No sag or other issues. I have an oil boiler and the coal boiler, and tied the two together with copper. If the coal boiler overshoots the temp, you could see 220*+, not a temp I would be comfortable with using pex.
JeepinPete

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: Highboy

PostBy: yamaha On: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:41 pm

What size line should I tie my two boilers together with? My big problem is that I'm about 40' away from my oil boiler. Running 1 1/2 copper pipe is going to be very expensive.
yamaha

PostBy: steamup On: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm

yamaha wrote:What size line should I tie my two boilers together with? My big problem is that I'm about 40' away from my oil boiler. Running 1 1/2 copper pipe is going to be very expensive.

Black Iron pipe is a good alternative. You didn't say how many gpm you need to move.

The big orange box store has good prices on black pipe and fittings. Imported of course.
steamup

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

PostBy: homecomfort On: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:09 pm

make sure it is cross linked pex, for hydronic heating, and not plumbing pex. also expandable wirsbo or uponor with expanding ring is much better for high temp. situations, as the crimp rings can wear through the tube during expansion and contraction. secure it well, it is a cheap and easy alternative. I have installed thousands of feet in high temp conditions with no problems.
homecomfort

Stove/Furnace Make: Franco-Belge,+ Penn Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: Normandie, + Chubby

PostBy: plumb-r On: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:52 pm

I wouldn't use any pex piping. Cross-link pex is only rated at 180°. Even the aluma-pex or fosta-pex is only rated to 200° and only rated to 140° in constant circulating systems. Use a metal pipe copper or steel. Do it rite the first time. :D
plumb-r

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 Energy Master I Stoker

PostBy: marsoviy On: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 am

Near boiler metal, then PEX
Attachments
hot&warm.png
(61.87 KiB) Viewed 114 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]36855[/nepathumb]
Piping the boiler metal.png
(1020.67 KiB) Viewed 99 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]36856[/nepathumb]
marsoviy

PostBy: Freddy On: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:46 am

I am using pex. After taking to the manufacturer I added tempering valves to keep the water at 180 or below. I have seen my Axeman Anderson make water of 240 degrees. I'm sure the Pex wouldn't have liked that at all.
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

PostBy: yamaha On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:13 am

I've decided to go with black iron pipe for my insallation. What works the best? Teflon tape or the liquid teflon to seal the fittings.
yamaha

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 am

yamaha wrote:I've decided to go with black iron pipe for my insallation. What works the best? Teflon tape or the liquid teflon to seal the fittings.

i like the # 5 rector-seal or Blue Block™ Gasket and Pipe Joint Thread Sealant
RAYJAY

Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

PostBy: sterling40man On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:38 am

yamaha wrote:What works the best? Teflon tape or the liquid teflon to seal the fittings.

Teflon tape and then rector seal. That's what I did.
sterling40man

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KA-6

PostBy: plumb-r On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:46 pm

I like the Blue Block also. When messing with gas or boiler stuff that's all I let my guys use. It's pretty gummy, try not to get it on you, you'll look like you got in a fight with a smurf. With black iron with pipe dope if you have a leak a lot of times it will stop when the system is heated up (things expand), if you have teflon on it you either have to redo the joint or tighten it more, either way you have to take everything apart to the joint that is leaking. That's my 2 cents worth after 30 years. :D
plumb-r

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 Energy Master I Stoker

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:52 pm

plumb-r wrote:I like the Blue Block also. When messing with gas or boiler stuff that's all I let my guys use. It's pretty gummy, try not to get it on you, you'll look like you got in a fight with a smurf. With black iron with pipe dope if you have a leak a lot of times it will stop when the system is heated up (things expand), if you have teflon on it you either have to redo the joint or tighten it more, either way you have to take everything apart to the joint that is leaking. That's my 2 cents worth after 30 years. :D

Thats why i will install unions in a couple of places to make breaking the pipe a little easer, and it always works out that i have to change something so can alway do that at the union

jeff
RAYJAY

Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Visit Lehigh Anthracite