Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners Insurance

PostBy: jrn8265 On: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:59 am

So, being down here in SE PA seems the Insurance companies just won't consider writing a policy for someone who heats their home with coal. At least this has been my experience in shopping around. I have an OIL furnace backup so I landed a policy by stating that I use OIL for heating and mentioned nothing about my coal stoker. I use Coal about 90% and oil 10%. So what are the possible ramifications, concerns by me doing this? Interested in any opionions. Thanks
Last edited by Richard S. on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Energy, Coal News and Discussion
jrn8265

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker Koker
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker 160

Re: Homeowners Insurance

PostBy: Richard S. On: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:14 am

Have you asked them why? If I recall correctly someone mentioned they would not insure if it was listed as the primary heat, out of ignorance I'd assume they don't consider it primary heat. Writing it down as supplementary heat was fine.

As far as your question goes if you have some kind of issue related to your coal usage they could deny the claim.

Try Erie, no issue with them as far as I know and having been through a house fire I couldn't praise them enough.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:16 am

It sounds like you talked to multiple insurance companies...did you tell them you heat with oil and have a coal stove for supplemental heat?
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Wiz On: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:31 am

Recently I called my insurance company because of installing coal boiler. Only concern was if I ran out of coal how would dwelling be heated? I told them that oil boiler will kick on if water temp fell below coal boiler water settings. Got policy.
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: WNYRob On: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 pm

My homeowners is through State Farm. They had no problem with my koker. I had an existing policy with them, when I told them I installed the koker, my agent came out, took some pictures of my set up, I showed him it was installed with more than the keystoker recommended for clearances and that was that. No rise in premium, although he told me that folks around here with wood stoves pay a higher premium than other comparable policies.
WNYRob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:09 am

Wiz wrote:Recently I called my insurance company because of installing coal boiler. Only concern was if I ran out of coal how would dwelling be heated?

I would have asked them if they ask that question of people that use oil or propane.
Richard S.

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 am

WNYRob wrote: No rise in premium, although he told me that folks around here with wood stoves pay a higher premium than other comparable policies.

I think that's acceptable because they present such a hazard if you don't maintain the chimney.
Richard S.

PostBy: dlj On: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 am

Richard S. wrote:
Wiz wrote:Recently I called my insurance company because of installing coal boiler. Only concern was if I ran out of coal how would dwelling be heated?

I would have asked them if they ask that question of people that use oil or propane.

HaHaHa! That's excellent Richard! Spot on!

dj
dlj

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

PostBy: Wiz On: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Richard S. wrote:
WNYRob wrote: No rise in premium, although he told me that folks around here with wood stoves pay a higher premium than other comparable policies.

I think that's acceptable because they present such a hazard if you don't maintain the chimney.

When agent mention this to me I ask that question. The look on his face :? He couldn't give me a answer. Imagine that
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: Mark (PA) On: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:29 pm

I never had an issue with homeowners and the coal stove.

About 6 years ago when I used a biomass Corn burning unit they didn't like that idea but eventually said it was OK after sending them info on the unit and safety concerns.

I have a farm policy, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I'll second Richard, Erie is a great company to deal with also. Have my auto's with them.
Mark (PA)

Stove/Furnace Make: 1953 EFM SF-520 High Boy
Stove/Furnace Model: Fitzgibbon Boiler

PostBy: SMITTY On: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Erie ... I always hear good things about them.

Oh .... not available in MA. Figures! :mad: :mad: :mad: We only get the shitty companies ....
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Our home insurance is through Erie, they have been very good to deal with.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: bustedwing On: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Invite your agent in to see the installation,show them the literature with the clearances,use a tape measure to show them it's all well and proper,spend a hundred bucks for a pistol shaped thermal temperature gun and shoot the walls and adjacent materials and show them the temps are no where combustible.Worked for me,raised my yearly premium 25 bucks.Oil furnace in the basement,Pioneer upstairs.Use mostly coal for heat.
bustedwing

Stove/Furnace Make: LeisureLine
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

PostBy: DennisH On: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:18 pm

My homeowners insurance is with USAA. I spent 30 years in the military, and they insure mostly military, but are now open to immediate relatives. Anyway, before I got my wood/coal furnace installed I spoke to them, and their response was "enjoy." Got it in writing too. :D
DennisH

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

PostBy: 331camaro On: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:17 pm

just changed to met life, added ALOT of coverage including 50,000 worth of coverage on the barn i just built and put the boiler out in the barn, which most insurance co will not go for!!. and all for less than what i had my house insured for with less coverage thru state farm.
331camaro

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice