Coffee ten six twelve

Coffee ten six twelve

PostBy: Freddy On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:51 am

Yikes, it's bright in here! Are those new fluorescent lights?

Good morning! Come right in, find a stool & spend a few minutes. The coffee is hot & there's fresh half & half for the cream lovers. It's been a while since we had a good fatty breakfast so what do you say to eggs, bacon, sausage & kielbasa? Toss in some baked beans, toast and a fried biscuit & we won't need to eat again until 6PM. OK!

Is it this Saturday that we change the clocks? Silly game. Don't forget Monday is a Holiday, Columbus day to be exact. Poor Christopher, died at age 54. Who knows, if he had lived a longer life he might have discovered another continent that is til hidden today. ;)

OK.... if you're not ready for winter, it's time to get in gear & make arrangements for that coal delivery. It's been fairly mild, but old man winter is coming & there's no stopping the old grouch.
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Coffee ten six twelve

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:17 am

Thanks for the coffee. Went to a big wake last night and now I can't sleep. It's tough when someone you know passes away from this earthly existence; and you realize you didn't see them as much as you would have liked to. It was a tribute to a big family that had so many friends; I saw a few old friends which makes the whole experience bittersweet. You just don't know what to say to the bereived, but nobody does, you just show up to try and help them get through it. Not one word of politics was spoken as far as I know.
I hope to approach this day with a little less animosity, a little more gratitude for what I have, maybe shoot an email to somebody I haven't been in contact with in a while.
Nothing constant in life but change I guess.

Might as well take down those busted flourescent fixtures, all I can do is get 110 to them, standing there on a ladder fiddling with the bulbs and getting a dust in my face just aint cuttin it hahahaha :P Time to stamp on them until they fold up and fit in a garbage bag :lol:
Dann757

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:33 am

Good morning all,

Busy day on tap for me -

First, DK and I are heading into DC to check out the flowers blooming at the National Arboretum. DK noticed the numerous honey bees in the garden there yesterday and thought I may want to check it out; I may want to plant some in my back yard. He's come a long way from "why in the world would you want bees for Christmas?" :? I suspect those bees were from the hive at the White House as it's just around the corner but DC does have a growing number of backyard beekeepers. They put them on the roof.

Second, I actually looked at my stove and decided that as Freddy implied winter waits for no one. I'm off to the stove store for door gasket and paint. Over the next couple of weeks I'll be painting and getting everything ready for the lighting of the "one match" in mid to late Nov.

And third I'm putting in some blue berry bushes I picked up last week. They are replacing the blackberry bushes that never did well in my backyard. The blackberries bloomed beautifully and produced a lot of fruit but it never got ripe, it just shriveled up and dropped off. Enough is enough and its on to try something new. I got older bushes so they will produce next year.

Finally, this evening I have a date! Wow what a concept! DK and I are going out for dinner and to see the new Clint Eastwood movie. I'm excited because I don't go to see movies that often because I'm one of the minority of people who can't watch 3D shows. I get headaches and nauseous. It's a good thing he has 3 kids who will go with him.

Anyway, that's my plan for the day. I hope everyone gets something done on their "to do list." Take care, Lisa
lowfog01

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:04 am

Good morning. I have been home sick for the last two days, but my nose has cleared enough to let me smell the coffee this morning. I guess there is hope for a weekend recovery! Yesterday was a warm one, almost 70 in the afternoon...but what a change overnight -> 50 degrees and raining hard this morning. I turned up the thermostat this morning and chased the dampness out of the house.

Freddy is right about winter being around the corner. Don't put off what you can do today, get that heating plant ready to go and the coal on-hand. Here are some motivational posters from my "collection":

Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Duengeon master On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:25 am

Good morning everyone!!! :D Thanks for the coffee Freddy!!! I will need it today!! It is 24 degrees here in Jamestown, N.D. and windy with a dusting of that four letter word!!! :mad: I only have a light jacket to wear till Wednesday!! Come on downstairs for some biscuits and gravy compliments from the Quality Inn. I'll be going into Saskatchewan today where the weather is actually a wee bit warmer than here. Nothing like 550 Kilometers of two lane roads to test one's driving skills. At least the speed limit there is 110. Edmonton, Ab. tomorrow!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadian members!!!! Monday is Thanksgiving in Canada.

Have a great day folks and may the Lord bless you all!!! :)
Duengeon master

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:34 am

Mornin all. Damn Freddy, a smorgasboard--OUTSTANDING-- :) Think I'm gonna have one of everything. The weather GUESSERS are calling for mid to lower 30's all this cominng week. Might be lighting up sooner rather then later :( I do prefer winter over summer though. I was going to clean up some drainage swales down by the barn, but alas, thought the 8N had a flat rear tire--simple fix---ADD AIR--NOT-- now I feel like SMITTY--I'm waiting for parts. Have a good week end all.
Attachments
001.JPG
(103.45 KiB) Viewed 12 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]36934[/nepathumb]
002.JPG
(104.99 KiB) Viewed 4 times
[nepathumb]36935[/nepathumb]
005.JPG
(115.2 KiB) Viewed 16 times
[nepathumb]36936[/nepathumb]
006.JPG
(119.7 KiB) Viewed 6 times
[nepathumb]36937[/nepathumb]
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: gaw On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:59 am

Fresh coffee hits the spot. Hey Freddy, how about some sausage gravy and biscuits with home fries and a couple of eggs slid over top one of these Saturday mornings. Hey! Looks like Duengeon master beat you to it. It’s time to start putting on the winter fat.

Sorry Dann757, it’s always a heavy time when someone passes, it feels like I have seen enough of that the past couple of years. I noticed that as I got older more people I knew were dying, I guess that makes sense. I am kind of hoping I miss my funeral.

Lisa, blueberries are wonderful to grow, very long lived, relatively easy to maintain and birds may be the biggest pest but I have virtually no bird problems, I suspect there is something better nearby or else where I am I don’t have a population of blueberry eating birds. Either way I will not complain. Two things to be aware of; blueberries need acidic soil; if it is not naturally acidic you need to amend it. I think it would be almost impossible to get it too acidic. Secondly; blueberries have shallow roots and require regular watering in the absence of rain. That should not be a big deal in a back yard garden setting.

Home sick Thursday and Friday and getting better just in time for a three day weekend sounds suspicious to me. You had better get a doctors note.

Everyone have a good weekend. I have a few things to do.
gaw

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:08 am

gaw wrote:Home sick Thursday and Friday and getting better just in time for a three day weekend sounds suspicious to me. You had better get a doctors note.

I know what you mean..."better" isn't saying much though, I still feel like a pile of dog sh*t. No three day weekend either, back to work on Monday one way of another. Our day are IS closed on Monday though, good thing my wife can take the day off.

Hey Fred, maybe you can barter for a set of steel wheels? :)
Last edited by Rob R. on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: whistlenut On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:14 am

Foliage is OUTSTANDING; tour susses are like ants; ........30 days to the most important decision of the decade. We only get 25 political calls a day from the Big O, looking for volunteers and support.....coal is on 'rubber' and tomorrow is gonna be 32 degrees! It's coming, soon! :idea: :idea: :!: :shock:

PS:
Daycare, Rob....The most scary word in the English language. Guaranteed EVERYONE will be sick all winter! No reflection on the fine folks at the daycare's, just an observation about little folks being exposed all the time, and the vicious circle that starts your life with little kids. Been there, done that.....
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 am

Morning everybody. A mug of french roast this morning for a little extra kick. Got my painting done before Kim gets back from the UK next week so thats cool. She's got some major revamping planned for the library and the summer kitchen though, so need to psyched for that :(

Danny, your right my friend. It seems it's always a wake or funeral that gets people thinking about what could have been or should have been. It's that pesky mortality thing. So many times now that I'm up in me latter 50's, I've felt that vey same thing. The old adage about treating every day like it's you last has merit. You just never know for yourself or your loved ones.

Sorry to hear you guys are feeling crappy Rob and Gaw. Seems like this time of year and seasonal change coming, brings out the bugs. Flu season I suppose? Love those old Poster Rob, Very cool! I have some of those you sent me and printed up a couple for the shop. Love to make metal one, etching or whatever they are. Maybe just metal printing?

I'm off to western Mass on Monday for a few days then back to Boston to pick up the little lady Thursday afternoon. Gonna see what I can find out that way for old stove project (like i need any) and of course while in Boston I have to get some sopprasetta and other Italian goodies in the North end. :D Have a super weekend and feel better y"all.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: gaw On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 am

SteveZee wrote:Sorry to hear you guys are feeling crappy Rob and Gaw.

Not to confuse, I am not sick other than in the head. :wacko: :crazy: I was just giving Rob a dig. It does read a bit vague, my bad.
gaw

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:56 am

gaw wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Sorry to hear you guys are feeling crappy Rob and Gaw.

Not to confuse, I am not sick other than in the head. :wacko: :crazy: I was just giving Rob a dig. It does read a bit vague, my bad.

Got me thinking that you tried one-2-many high octane Weyerbacher brews last night :D
VigIIPeaBurner

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

PostBy: SMITTY On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:25 am

I don't know about him, but I certainly had a few too many last night! :hangover:

Yeah not much to report this week, since I started an entire thread on my fluorescent lamp ordeal ....

Can't stop spending money this week! First, I ran out of peel n stick to finish the metal on the back section of the barn. So had to drop $90 on a 50' roll off the internet, then $30 in fluorescent bulbs, now another $30 for a damn ballast! :x Gotta love it ......

Someday I'll get more than a timing set installed on the Blazer engine. :|

Looks like I'll be lifting a hundred or so bags of coal today. My ol' man's gonna swing by & grab a couple pallets from my stockpile. I need to convert it all to rice for next season. 8-)
Attachments
Barn roof, back section, metal done.jpg
(55.86 KiB) Viewed 20 times
Metal came out nice
[nepathumb]36939[/nepathumb]
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Missed breakfast again. I was out the door early this morning. Didn't even get to see what Batman was up to with my kids on Young Justice. Had a bunch of errands to run and people to see; even though the one guy I didn't want to see.

Just got home a few minutes ago. Threw the last two screws in the stove pipe and sealed it up with furnace cement. I was gonna get a small wood fire in it to cure the furnace cement but with all the damn rain all my scrap pine 2x4s are soaked. Tomorrow is another day, I'll run out to Lowe's and pick up three bags of Cowboy coal. One to burn and cure the furnace cement an the other two for the coal firing of the season.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: Cap On: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Hello Everyone! I ahven't checked in, in quite a few weeks. Busy with work & play. Hey, I just through together some old flue pipe and lit a wood fire. Maybe a few shovels of coal to shed the chill tonight.
Dan, difficult to attend viewings. I have never figured out exactly what to say...

A few eeks ago I picked up a new car. I had my mind set on a bigger more comfortable motorcycle but figured as I age, riding becomes more difficult. So I bought a Miata. It's like a big bike when the top is down and a bunch of fun on the mountain roads. I ran my first tour yesterday. And what a great day weather wise. A few pictures below.

2012-10-05_12-31-38_288.jpg
(119.73 KiB) Viewed 14 times
Tobyhanna SP
[nepathumb]36940[/nepathumb]

2012-10-05_15-02-36_426.jpg
(157.37 KiB) Viewed 21 times
Who can name this bridge and its location? What other bridge did this engineer design?
[nepathumb]36941[/nepathumb]
Cap

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator