Coalcast, Anyone with Broadcasting Experinece?

Coalcast, Anyone with Broadcasting Experinece?

PostBy: Richard S. On: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:15 pm

I'd like to bring back Coalcast so is there anyone interested in volunteering? I'd like to get at least two people to be hosts . Certainly knowledge of the industry would be nice but not absolutely necessary, more important would be interview skills. Generally speaking this is going to take up a few hours of your time each month, we usually set a date of something like the first Monday but that is flexible.

A headphone and mic is required and at least a DSL internet connection.

Previous broadcasts can be found here: Coalcast Live Internet Broadcasts
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Coalcast, Anyone with Broadcasting Experinece?

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 pm

This is great news, Richard!

I really loved the originals and learned a lot from industry insiders and professionals. What about offering questions posed to the guests via listener submittal?
EarthWindandFire

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 pm

I too agree these broadcasts where interesting. Iwould be willing to assist in topics, do not know if I would be very good on the "air".
2001Sierra

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

PostBy: SMITTY On: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 pm

I KNOW I wouldn't be .....

Slurred speech .... wheezing, sniffling, coughing ..... forgetting where I am ..... GREAT SHOW! :lol:

Hope you find some worthy candidates Richard.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Yanche On: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Good to bring it back, but I'd just use the telephone, a conference call.

See: http://www.speek.com

I've used it for short Board of Director meetings. Worked well.
Yanche

Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

PostBy: Richard S. On: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:52 am

Yanche wrote:Good to bring it back, but I'd just use the telephone, a conference call.

Yanche for this you really need a headset and mic if you're the host for audio quality control. Even with that we could never get it quite right because I was doing it by ear. Patrick with his booming voice always ended up being louder than Paul, Paul would "doctor" the audio for the downloads. There is a chat program out there that is compatible with phpBB user database I've discussed installing before and that is route I would probably take. ;) For guests who wanted to use the phones if I needed to do that I think still have a phone here with audio jack for headset I can tie into the computer.
Richard S.

PostBy: Richard S. On: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 am

EarthWindandFire wrote:What about offering questions posed to the guests via listener submittal?

We did that within the forum live, we would follow the topic in the forum and try and answer the questions posted.
Richard S.

PostBy: pvolcko On: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Richard S. wrote:
EarthWindandFire wrote:What about offering questions posed to the guests via listener submittal?

We did that within the forum live, we would follow the topic in the forum and try and answer the questions posted.

Also tried to post notice on upcoming shows a week in advance so people could post into the forum thread for each show before hand. Any post-show questions that came in would either be answered directly or folded into the next show.
pvolcko

PostBy: Yanche On: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Yanche wrote:Good to bring it back, but I'd just use the telephone, a conference call.

Yanche for this you really need a headset and mic if you're the host for audio quality control. Even with that we could never get it quite right because I was doing it by ear. Patrick with his booming voice always ended up being louder than Paul, Paul would "doctor" the audio for the downloads. There is a chat program out there that is compatible with phpBB user database I've discussed installing before and that is route I would probably take. ;) For guests who wanted to use the phones if I needed to do that I think still have a phone here with audio jack for headset I can tie into the computer.

I'm not sure you understood my suggestion for using a conference telephone call for the voice portion. It solves the audio equipment problem and uses the phone system to make the audio fairly uniform. http://www.speek.com works like this ... One person registers, then sets up a meeting time with a list of phone numbers. At the meeting time each receives a phone call and all are connected like a traditional telephone conference call. It's all free. It's a service provided by a new startup company based in Northern VA. What's new is the the Web interface for setting up the conference call.

I have not participated in past coalcast calls, but I assume there were less than a dozen or so active talkers. If yes, then the live audio of the conference call could be streamed to the forum and the forum site could be monitored for those that post questions.
Yanche

Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 am

Great idea. I like Yanche's idea with just using conference call. Providing its easily setup of coarse.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:02 am

This forum has really become so much more than just a message board where one can post questions, create a poll, compare and debate stoves or politics and other current events. We all benefit from this site and should consider ourselves fortunate that it exists and is run so well by Richard and his moderators.

The Coalcast could be broken up into three main subject areas and eventually serve as a form of educational media.

1). Interviews of coal mining owners/executives and members of the Pennsylvania Legislature about the industry.

2). Discussion with coal appliance manufacturers about themselves and their product(s).

3). Town Hall style discussion from stove owners about specific stoves, their operation and unique issues/concerns.

To clarify number three, I think a discussion with stove owners, not manufacturers, would give a different perspective to a listener and could touch subjects and issues with a particular stove that a manufacturer would like to avoid or not address.
EarthWindandFire

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 pm

That's some great ideas EWT but getting those people interested is another matter, we did have a few guests like that. Dave and Matt did a show, Craig Isood from Hearth.com did one and Mike was part of another and also came back for some other shows. We'll definitely do show with homeowners, that's a great idea.

Having said that I still need at least one more person willing to give being a host a try, I have one volunteer but I'm going to keep who as a surprise. :) Schedule is flexible but we want to try and set one day each month.

I don't need professional hosts but if you think you might have what it takes to pull it off let me know.
Richard S.

PostBy: ONEDOLLAR On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Richard

I know it is early on with the planning but is there a tentative date for the first broadcast?
ONEDOLLAR

Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #2 Base Heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 pm

No. :)
Richard S.