RETO-FIT a stove to Conserve Energy and save money

Re: RETO-FIT a stove to Conserve Energy and save money

PostBy: WNY On: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:36 am

Its all dependent on your house, heat loss, efficiency, etc....anything is possible if designed properly. But, BTU is BTU.
Probably work fine for Domestic Hot water, since there are many coil conversions on the market to do that and it does work. As for whole house heating.....you would probably have to run the stove pretty hot to keep up.

Looks like the same copy/paste from other sites.
Last edited by Richard S. on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: <removed dead links>
WNY

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 am

This sort of reminds me of the EdenPURE (and its various knock-off's). A promise of more heat and comfort than a standard BTU should normally provide.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (It has been fixed!)

PostBy: McGiever On: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 am

tommy wrote:Well thanks for your suport How ever my kits ARE heating up to 4000sq foot homes ( using only a 45k pellet/corn stove with my crosslink boiler kits reto fitted in them ) just because your system is not efficient and you have not check into how it is possable or proved to your self how it is not .And probably to stubern to even see the costerms home utube video of his working to better your understanding of how much MONEY you guys are wasting on pride Here is a link click it watch it then tell me how its not If you dare!!!!!! O YA by the WAY It is not me on the utube video I just helped him put it out on the world wide web. see my face on my web site or my posts on my forum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6XSOkJ2 ... e=youtu.be

Funny how at the end of the video the guy puts out a plea for help to everyone for CREDITS to get some FREE Pellets from CrookLinks. :)
That 45,000 btu/hr pellet muncher has a hellva appetite. :o
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Tommy, I'd like to get a load of what you are selling for my vegetable garden. :lol:
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Tommy, I'd like to get a load of what you are selling for my vegetable garden.

You see Tommy now you have done it. Those colonials from south of the Mason-Dixon line tend to be a little more direct. :D :D :D
coalnewbie

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93,
Baseburners & Antiques: Invader 2 Wings Best, Glenwood #8 + Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

PostBy: pine grove coal user On: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:56 pm

I bought Harman's coil for my Mark II. $300 and all it is is a U shaped loop. I have always wondered if more loops would be better. But for five times the price i dont know if it is worth it.
pine grove coal user

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1983
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea and nut mix
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

PostBy: coalkirk On: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:07 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Tommy, I'd like to get a load of what you are selling for my vegetable garden.

You see Tommy now you have done it. Those colonials from south of the Mason-Dixon line tend to be a little more direct. :D :D :D

:lol: Yeah, I guess so. So for those of you north of the M/D line, what Tommys "selling" is snake oil. Sorry Tommy but we know a thing or two about hydronics, BTU's and physics. What you are claiming is impossible. Shame on you for taking advantage of folks who may not know any better. But on this forum, you brought a knife to a gun fight.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: captain morgan On: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Tommy's system may not be defined by your physics, but the fact is that he heats an old Minnesota farm house (which still allows the wind to blow through it), along with a three bay garage with a pellet corn stove rated to burn 45,000 BTU;s of fuel per hour. The increased efficiency of his system is based on distributing that heat. I lived with him for almost two months, his learning disabilities drove me nuts but his system heated the house, garage and hot water. I simply couldn't get any numbers out of him to apply to any of the equations that we would normally use to define the heating system.

There are people on your forum that owe Tom an apology for pointing to his disability, and others that should provide real numbers if they want to claim physics as "proof" that his system doesn't work. His neighbors, friends and persons that have installed his systems are real people that are simply being honest. The only snake oil salesman are those attempting to spread a little hate on this site. Visit him and get him to give you some numbers, then calculate your own required loads and decide whether or not you are comfortable. Do it now while it is still cold. Take along your ice fishing gear as you will be in among of a bunch of Minnesota lakes. You can eat your words along with some great fish. And I would bet that Tom would be very hospitable to you.
captain morgan

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 am

captain morgan wrote:There are people on your forum that owe Tom an apology for pointing to his disability,

No one has made fun of anyone's disability. The only comment I see is about spelling which follows a comment about China. Spammers (a lot of them from China) typically have poor spelling and/or grammar which we see a lot of.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: chadhumm On: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:15 pm

I am on my 3rd year of using this kit, it works, it provides more heat than it did before. You don't have to be an expert or claim to be an expert to realize this. You can state facts about btu's you can believe what you believe is true. Truth is you shouldn't discount something until you understand it. See for yourself. You say a 45,000 btu stove can't produce more than 45,000 btu. What if your getting hot water heat out of it while simultaneously getting almost the same hot air you got out of it before? What if you can now distribute this heat through your ductwork throughout the house while still maintaining the hot air out of your stove. What if you you can use a heat exchanger to steal a little heat to gradually heat your domestic hot water, at such a minimal rate you still have plenty to heat your house? What if you can now take advantage of a whole house humdifier since you can now distribute through your ductwork. What about the ability to adjust your ducts dampers to distribute the heat evenly..which you dont have that option with out air directly out of a corn stove. What about a coil and plate that absorbs more of the fires heat rather than sending it out the exhaust pipe? All of these things ad up to getting more out of stove than you ever could before. You can come up with your opinions to dispell all of it. But I see it..and feel it...everyday that I use it. So whatever you say will not change my mind because I'm actually using it your only trying to come up with ways to rationalize because you can't admit your own expert opinions are wrong. This doesnt pertain to everyone that has posted, just some people that can not accept they are wrong. . With all that being said. I do use 20% more fuel in the pellet stove but I dont use electric heat to supplement or the propane furnace to supplement... so Im coming out way ahead cost wise. I also went from heating just 800 sq feet to 2200 sq ft with just 20% more fuel, i spend 3x less even with the 20% increase in pellets than I did paying for electricity and propane for supplementing. I have a few youtube videos available so you can see it in operation and understand it better. My intent here is to not anger people that think they know better, its to explain how it works so they too can see that the claims being made are true. Thanks for your time.
chadhumm

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman pc45

PostBy: blrman07 On: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20 am

45K BTU is 45K BTU whether or not you have a coil. There was one suggestion that would take all the guesswork out of this debate that I do not see that anyone has completed. Measure stack temperature without the coil and then measure it with the coil. The coil is probably doing nothing more than absorbing the heat that would normally be lost up the stack. It doesn't generate BTU's. It is a tool to put them to use in a device external to the stove. It's a device to capture BTU's normally lost up the chimney.

Is it possible to fire a 45K BTU rated stove and get more than 45K BTU out of it? You betcha. The rating is given by the manufacturers after burn tests and caloric measurements to determine how to rate the stove for continual SAFE use. Please note the words SAFE USE.

A BTU is a BTU and you can't get more by simply installing a coil. What you can do is more effectively use the BTU's being generated by any stove or boiler. The only question left is the cost factor of doing that. It's like driving to the store across town and burning $4.00 worth of gas to save a $1.00 with a coupon. Does it make sense for you to spend the bucks to do that? What is the payback and breakeven time frame? However if by installing this or any other device it cuts your usage of any other usage of more expensive fuel, then you come out ahead on the overall heating and DHW year round bills.

Without actual quantitative testing you don't have enough data to make an informed decision. Read this forum long enough and you know that every installation, use, fuel source, and daily operation is different.

Stop arguing and start testing.

Pastor Larry
blrman07

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: rebuilding a 1906 March Brownback Double Heater, reblacking a UMCO 1920's Pot Belly
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

PostBy: tommy On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Thank you all for your comments.I do not wish to argue with anyone .On what can or can not be done as far as btu's and what can be transfered etc. I do have a Crosslink Conversions Forum that is open to anyone to post on and privet message others who are or are not using the Crosslinks systems kits in there homes etc. Some people have made thier own utube videos that you may see on my home page at ( CrosslinkConversions.com ) if you do not what to take the time to look them up your self ( they are not me making them ,I just posted them so it is easy for people to see and contact them if you choose ) All so If you go to Heath.com and some of the other forums and look up others Like Bioburner,Rona etc.you may ask them about there facts etc .

This first one has some facts with number you may want to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fECdUR80 ... ture=email
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64_iWTZz ... ture=email

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6XSOkJ2 ... e=youtu.be

.Bioburner
237 posts
West central Mn

The crosslink is heating a leg exchanger for 110 marathon DWH then to 30x50 basement slab.
The cord is running to a moderate sized UPS, the soon to be dedicated outlet will have its own dedicated UPS, I'm the last home on a power leg in the country and the power sometimes is a bit down and dirty. Used to be able to set watch by the 4:30 brown out. Burning pellets and biofuels since 1983
2 Harman P45s, home stove now with crosslink boiler conversion heating 3,000 sq ft
Bixby 115
4 tons Indeck pellets,1 ton of Wood Fiber pellets
10 bags Oak Creek thank god in Harman their gone 11/15
Bag of Pennington in garage so bad I use em for spillsBioburner, Oct 29, 2012 #6
DexterDay likes this.

Re: TESTIMONIAL'S

by walchmn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:44 pm

I recently purchased a kit from Tommy for my Countryside Magnum I picked up off Craigslist. I built a 40 x 64 (with 16' side walls) pole shed 7 years ago planing to make a nice shop someday. 3 years ago I finished it off and installed tubing in the cement for a heated floor. Initially I heated it with a Big E pellet stove (purchased at Fleet Farm), just to take the chill off but always wanted to get the floor going. Was thinking of going with geothermal but when I saw this boiler on Craigslist I thought this would be a lot cheaper than geothermal. Tommy wasn't building kits yet for the Big E so I picked up the Countryside. Currently I'm running the stove on 3 and using about a bag of pellets a day and the shop is around 60 degrees, plenty warm when you are working on stuff. I've include a picture of my setup. I did all the work myself. I already had the 6gal water heater, purchased the panel on the wall from Menards because it was already complete. So far I really like it. I should mention I live in Minnesota so to heat a shop that big on a bag of pellets ($3.50 a bag on sale at Menards) is pretty remarkable.
Attachmentswalchmn Posts: 1Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:34 pm

DSCF0039.JPG
(37.94 KiB) Viewed 72 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]37943[/nepathumb]
tommy

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman,st croix,AE
Stove/Furnace Model: afew

PostBy: chadhumm On: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:11 pm

I think most people here are missing the point. They are stuck on the btu ratings of stove. That rating is from the manufacturer stating the btu's from its convection heat. The kit/exchanger is adding to that, increasing the rated btu's. That is how a 45k btu pellet stove, which is now really more like 70k stove, can heat 3500 sq ft. I'm guessing on the btu increase, I don't know how you would measure the increased output.
chadhumm

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman pc45

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 pm

chadhumm wrote:I think most people here are missing the point. They are stuck on the btu ratings of stove. That rating is from the manufacturer stating the btu's from its convection heat. The kit/exchanger is adding to that, increasing the rated btu's. That is how a 45k btu pellet stove, which is now really more like 70k stove, can heat 3500 sq ft. I'm guessing on the btu increase, I don't know how you would measure the increased output.

There is two BTU ratings you can have , input and output. The input is based on the available BTU's in the fuel, the only way that goes up or down is more or less fuel . The output is based on the input minus heat loss. For example Leisure Line Boilers claims 90% efficiency on their boiler so if we have 100K BTU input we have 90K output. The other 10K goes out the chimney, the only way you can increase the efficiency is by trying to recover more of that 10K. You can't magically add BTU's to the input becsue of that pesky thing called the law of thermodynamics. It's physics and you cannot argue with physics...

Can this product increase the efficiency? Possibly but that would mean it would have to be an inefficient stove to begin with.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: franco b On: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:12 pm

You can't get more Btu than the fuel contains. Even at 90 percent efficiency you would have to feed about 150 pounds of pellets in 24 hours to get an output of 45,000 Btu.

I can accept that the coil can provide better heat distribution, but that's about it.

The totally absurd claims tend to discredit what might be a good product.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea