Evolution Or Creation

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: rberq On: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:53 pm

gaw wrote:G. Gordon Liddy said ...

Thanks. I always rely on convicted felons for my theology. :sick:
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:24 pm

rberq wrote:Thanks. I always rely on convicted felons for my theology.


What is your theology? Church of Cynicism?
Dann757
 

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: rberq On: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Dann757 wrote:What is your theology? Church of Cynicism?

Church of the Invisible Fire-Breathing Dragon of the Garage.

(just ask Google ....)
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane


Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: gaw On: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:28 pm

An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do now to be sure that no such God exists. To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed
gaw
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: Dann757 On: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:00 am

Ahhh the Buddhists believe the cause of all suffering is desire. Want Enlightenment? Relinquish all desire.

Others say you have only to maintain awareness of the present moment. The ego or human mind always to go to the past or the future. It fears the present moment. All fears boil down to the egoic mind fearing its own death. That fear has made the human race dangerously insane.
Dann757
 

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: Lightning On: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:56 pm

Here I sit, in my hot tub looking into the clear night sky. I see the narrow cloud of stars that are our milky way and think, how dumb and arrogant to think we are exclusive in this universe. And to think that there is a life after death, I can't say, but there is always hope...

And there are several billion stars that have planets, many Earth like planets, just by definition of probability. Where does that fit into the big picture? No-one can really say.. not here, not now...

And to think that I am the lucky one, that was the product of my mother and father, out of millions of other possibilities.. Its incomprehensible.. I believe that when the time is right, mankind will acquire the knowledge of these unknowns...

In the mean time, be nice to each other, its a short ride, and we are all privileged to be a part of it...
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: SteveZee On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 am

Lightning wrote:Here I sit, in my hot tub looking into the clear night sky. I see the narrow cloud of stars that are our milky way and think, how dumb and arrogant to think we are exclusive in this universe. And to think that there is a life after death, I can't say, but there is always hope...

And there are several billion stars that have planets, many Earth like planets, just by definition of probability. Where does that fit into the big picture? No-one can really say.. not here, not now...

And to think that I am the lucky one, that was the product of my mother and father, out of millions of other possibilities.. Its incomprehensible.. I believe that when the time is right, mankind will acquire the knowledge of these unknowns...

In the mean time, be nice to each other, its a short ride, and we are all privileged to be a part of it...


I like it Lee. Well said.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: Lightning On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks SteveZee, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I spilled that out after several beverages :lol: :shots:

I'm an avid RUSH fan, it kinda reminds me of the song "Caravan"

I can't stop thinking big
In a world where I feel so small 8-)
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: KLook On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:11 pm

By that and the reference to Caravan, you must mean Rush the band. So am I, wish I could see them live sometime. Thats the trouble with living out in the boonies for so long. Maybe they will swing down here in the south before they get to old.

kevin

Time to change that location and avatar! :oops:
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 am

KLook wrote:By that and the reference to Caravan, you must mean Rush the band. So am I, wish I could see them live sometime. Thats the trouble with living out in the boonies for so long. Maybe they will swing down here in the south before they get to old.

kevin

Time to change that location and avatar! :oops:


That's a good dream Kev! Rush at the old grange hall, how cool would that be! I love it that you can say swing down here in the "south" for once in our lives! :D
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: KLook On: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:17 pm

That's a good dream Kev! Rush at the old grange hall, how cool would that be! I love it that you can say swing down here in the "south" for once in our lives! :D


I once had a native tell me he was thinking of going down south as well. Except when I asked him where he would go he thought around Portland, ME would be the place. :shock: :lol: Another time I was working in Cherryfield on an Ashplund truck and met an old man at the little store that still operates up by the Wyman plant. He found out I was from down around Cutler and mentioned the towers. He said he had seen them once from Rt. 1 between Machias and Jonesboro, but had never been to Cutler! And he was a native that had been there all his life! Both of those instances were more then 30 years ago when there were still colorful characters out in the wilds. Times have changed.

By the way, my new avatar is looking straight down the river over Simpson's Island at the old cannery location. Just can't see over the hill to your house. Took it last summer when I was living with my brother getting ready to move. That is the view from his deck.

Kevin

Rush at a grange hall! That would be cool alright. They tore down the old hall in Cutler where I spent my teen years and on at the dances. Great memories, thing of the past with todays society.
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: rberq On: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 pm

KLook wrote:I once had a native tell me he was thinking of going down south as well. Except when I asked him where he would go he thought around Portland, ME would be the place.

:lol: :D I grew up in Augusta, and about 20 years ago took a new job in Waterville. There were people working there, young people, who had almost never been as far south as Augusta, which is all of 18 miles on the interstate highway!

So, how IS Tennessee? Are you missing anything about Maine?
I saw a old friend of my father at a funeral a few years back. He (the friend) had told me earlier that he would be retiring to Tennessee. When I asked him why he was still around, he said, "My wife and I pictured a retirement home. Turned out her picture was a nice 3-bedroom ranch in a development with a pretty lawn and a shopping center down the street, and my picture was a little cabin on a mountainside with a stove for heat, and we never could agree on anything in between, so we're still here."
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Evolution Or Creation

PostBy: Black_And_Blue On: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Lightning wrote:Thanks SteveZee, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I spilled that out after several beverages :lol: :shots:

I'm an avid RUSH fan, it kinda reminds me of the song "Caravan"

I can't stop thinking big
In a world where I feel so small 8-)



fascinating, was listening to the new album today while driving, like the song 'The Garden'.
Black_And_Blue
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140