Coal will not move down grate

Re: Coal will not move down grate

PostBy: oilman On: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 pm

It sounds like you are not getting air to the fire for some reason. I am in your area if you want someone to talk to call me at 585-554-4492
oilman

PostBy: joia24 On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Wiz wrote:
joia24 wrote:
Pacowy wrote:If the pusher is moving and the coal is "backing up" behind the fire, that sounds like a problem I had with a flat grate stoker when I switched coals to a red ash coal that made such big clinkers that they wouldn't slide easily off the grate. This produced a lot of "plowing", with unburned coal going over the side of the grate "uphill" from the fire.

Also, if this problem came up right after you lit the fire, is there any chance that something you used to start the fire is stuck on the grate and backing up the coal?

Good luck.

Mike

Yes, I think it was the mouse I used to light the coal sticking to the grate. Today, unusually, nothing would lite the fire. I finally wore out. Even tried soaked coal as a starter to no avail. Tomorrow is a new day. Thanks for your help.

So now you have 2 issues, coal will not light and coal doesn't slide across grate. After reading your first post I keep looking at statement of cleaning prior to lighting first time.. I would suggest inspecting grates again, by following manual A. Remove combustion blower. Vacuum from under grate chamber.
B. Remove nut and bolt from bottom of grate, tap grates in upward direction. Lift
grate out vacuum chamber. Clear unit and grate of old furnace cement. Any
blocked holes may be opened with a 1/8 punch. Gently tap punch with
hammer. Re-cement grates to create an air tight fit from start of holes to top of
grate

I got the fire lit Monday at noon and all is well! I didn't email you sooner because I wanted to be certain that it's really working. All of the problems I had were self inflicted - last year she was problem free so I thought (pride goeth....) I had this little ole stove thing figured out. Hah! My old mice didn't stick like my new mice to the grate but proceeded into the ash pan along with the burndt coal so, when the coal backed up behind the mouse, I assumed the feeder wasn't working. Wrong. You convinced me of that so I proceeded to start it again. Tried EVERYTHING Napacrossroads recommends to start a coal fire - finally, when nothing worked, I knew it had to be the stove. About that time (day 3) my tree man Rick came and looked at the situation (he has a pellet stove). I had removed the combustion motor again to reclean it so the grate was clean and I asked him if the air coming through the grate was normal. He felt the grate, immediately walked behind the stove and completely opened the air intake for the combustion motor. It probably got closed a too much when I cleaned back there. Boy, did I feel dumb but very grateful. The next mouse worked easily. It's been in the 40's here at night (39 tonight) so you can imagine how happy I am to be warm. Can't thank you enough and all the other people who responded to me. All of you kept me working at it - which is where Rick found me. Thanks so much!
joia24

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker 105 BTU 1996
Stove/Furnace Model: Serial #2278

PostBy: joia24 On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:47 pm

I got the fire lit Monday at noon and all is well! I didn't email you sooner because I wanted to be certain that it's really working. All of the problems I had were self inflicted - last year she was problem free so I thought (pride goeth....) I had this little ole stove thing figured out. Hah! My old mice didn't stick like my new mice to the grate but proceeded into the ash pan along with the burndt coal so, when the coal backed up behind the mouse, I assumed the feeder wasn't working. Wrong. You convinced me of that so I proceeded to start it again. Tried EVERYTHING Napacrossroads recommends to start a coal fire - finally, when nothing worked, I knew it had to be the stove. About that time (day 3) my tree man Rick came and looked at the situation (he has a pellet stove). I had removed the combustion motor again to reclean it so the grate was clean and I asked him if the air coming through the grate was normal. He felt the grate, immediately walked behind the stove and completely opened the air intake for the combustion motor. It probably got closed a too much when I cleaned back there. Boy, did I feel dumb but very grateful. The next mouse worked easily. It's been in the 40's here at night (39 tonight) so you can imagine how happy I am to be warm. Can't thank you enough and all the other people who responded to me. All of you kept me working at it - which is where Rick found me. Thanks so much!
joia24

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Dennis On: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Sometimes it's the simplest things that are overlooked. :doh:
Glad it didn't cost you anything except a little humilation :oops:
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: yellowtonka2 On: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:50 am

the heat gun method of lighting a coal fire is no joke. this is how i light my fire every time. i can have it lit in less than 20 seconds every time. turn your switch off. lay your heat gun so the end is about 4-5 inches back the grate and turn it on high. the tip of the gun has to be pointed into the coal at a slightly upward direction and just wait afew seconds till the coals begin to glow or begin to burn. turn on your switch and walk away. its a great way to light it that i learned from the great people on here.
yellowtonka2

Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: a120

PostBy: joia24 On: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:39 pm

oilman wrote:It sounds like you are not getting air to the fire for some reason. I am in your area if you want someone to talk to call me at 585-554-4492

As you probably read, I've started the fire and all is doing well. I'm grateful for all the helpful responses I received. My coal stove tech lives some distance away from
me as well as being very busy so I am writing your number down. Thanks for your kind offer of help. Joia24
joia24

Visit Lehigh Anthracite