My "new" Glenwood Modern Oak 116

Re: My "new" Glenwood Modern Oak 116

PostBy: SteveZee On: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Well, I broke down and lit up the 116. Got home from a week on the road and it was about 52 in the house and the forcast calling for 27 tonight. Loath to fire the furnace, I fired the 116 and 3 hours later it's 70 in the place and the stove is only cruising at 325. You can imagine in day or two after the house soaks it up, it will be easy to maintain whatever temp I want. This stove has great control and is responsive. The weather is looking like "stove" weather at least thru Monday and depending on what happens then, I may try and idle through the warmer days since the end of next week looks chilly enough. So much for waitin on Halloween. ;)
Attachments
fatsu (2) (Medium).JPG
(129.52 KiB) Viewed 67 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]37074[/nepathumb]
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: franco b On: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Must have felt good after all your work. Stove and fire look good.
franco b

Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

PostBy: echos67 On: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:38 am

Sure looks nice with those blue flames, another avatar picture material.

Is that stove size coal in there or mixed ?
Did nu chrome do your nickel it looks very nice, would you recommend them ?

I spoke to Jack from Nu Chrome this week and he said they should be up and running again very soon since the move is finished.

Edit:
Thought of a couple more questions,
Did you paint or polish the stove barrel I am thinking polish as I am not a fan of paint on a cast iron stove and how many tubes of Williams polish did you use for the entire restoration ?
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks Richard, It sure does feel gratifying and satisfying to realize (this morning) that the stove held solid 350 all night and never moved up or down in 13 hours. Don't think it will need a shake till tonight really as the first fill being fresh always lasts longest.

Keith, That is the stove/nut mix coal. I do have a mix of 4/2 stove/nut, but allot of the nut was in the middle so to speak. It's mostly stove as you can see good sized chunks.

Yes I am very happy with how the nickel came out. I worked in a plating shop as a teen and can appreciate good work and proper look. I am not sure who did it but if you call Bryant's Stove in Maine ask for Donna, and tell her you are considering doing the nickel over on your stove and who do they use as their plater (because you've seen a couple different ones and want to make sure it's not whomever before you decide), you might get the name.

2-3 Tubes of Williams will get it done the first time. After that it doesn't take near as much (maybe a tube or less) to polish the stove but like a wood finish, the first one seems to "soak" it up.
SteveZee

PostBy: nortcan On: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Very nice Steve. Happy to see that your stove can be controlled like you described it. Good reward for your work.
I think I should move down to get a colder temp. :D but it's coming soon.
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: PJT On: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:26 pm

We'll need a performance update in the a.m. Steve!
PJT

Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

PostBy: nortcan On: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Forgot to ask Steve but where did you place the thermometer on the stove? Thanks.
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:05 am

PJT wrote:We'll need a performance update in the a.m. Steve!

Tended at 7pm and filled for the night, stove at 350 degrees. This morning at 7am. it's pegged at (wait for it......) 350 degrees. ;) Really didn't need much of a fill either.
SteveZee

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:12 am

nortcan wrote:Forgot to ask Steve but where did you place the thermometer on the stove? Thanks.

Pierre, It's up on the top of the barrel on the right side. It's under the top skirt a little bit but can still read it easily. I'll post a pix but the camera batts are charging at moment.

Here we go. I like this thermom. It has a large range all the way to 850! Hopefully we never need that! ;)
Attachments
IMG_3750.JPG
(62.82 KiB) Viewed 32 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]37107[/nepathumb]
Last edited by SteveZee on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveZee

PostBy: KLook On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 am

That thing looks great Steve. I guess I will be on the skype line soon with my son to go through the fire up process for the Harman if it is that cold up there.
I know where there is a similar stove, probably a base burner but a Glenwood or Modern Glenwood that I aspire to own one day. It sets in a basement looking nice and not being used. :o

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: echos67 On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 am

What was the overnight low temp wise, didn't get very cold here over night maybe mid to low 40's.Friday night it was lows 30's and I fired up the new gas boiler and bled air from the radiators and now it works very well. I could get used to those things on the wall, I think they call them a thermostat :lol: but the bill in a month or so may change my mind really quickly if my natural gas usage and cost are high :oops: .

Back to work on the 6, need to start assembly of the lower pans today.
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:56 am

KLook wrote:That thing looks great Steve. I guess I will be on the skype line soon with my son to go through the fire up process for the Harman if it is that cold up there.
I know where there is a similar stove, probably a base burner but a Glenwood or Modern Glenwood that I aspire to own one day. It sets in a basement looking nice and not being used. :o

Kevin

Kev, Yeah Man, definitely keep that Glenwood in your sights. On Friday when I got back from Boston it was about 52 in the house. Looked at the weather and it was "stoveable" for the next 4 days or so and marginal after that so I decided to give it a go. The cookstove is off so just the MO116 heating the whole place is doing it pretty easily too.

Kieth, the low friday night was 29 and we had a good hard frost. Last night was about 39. Now that the stove has been going a couple days the house is starting to get consistent through out heat wise. I've only had the 116 at 350 for these 38 hours now and it's 70 throughout.
SteveZee

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:08 pm

You just can't say enough good things about an air-tight stove!
EarthWindandFire

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer model 75.
Other Heating: Oil and Natural Gas.

PostBy: PJT On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks for the update Steve keep them coming.....now we need some really cold weather to put it through its paces :!:
PJT

Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm

SteveZee wrote:
PJT wrote:We'll need a performance update in the a.m. Steve!

Tended at 7pm and filled for the night, stove at 350 degrees. This morning at 7am. it's pegged at (wait for it......) 350 degrees. ;) Really didn't need much of a fill either.

Welcome to Coal Stove Easy Street.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Visit Hitzer Stoves