New WL 110 Boiler

Re: New WL 110 Boiler

PostBy: whistlenut On: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 am

You sure aren't suffering......just remember to make one adjustment only, and record it.......nice boiler isn't it? Please share about hoe the noise level generated by this stoker. I know what it sounds like, but just in case others want to know. :idea:
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: hcarlow On: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:49 am

My living room chair is right up over the boiler and I don't hear a thing when it comes on but I could sure hear the oil boiler when that use to kick on and run.

It is a nice unit and there is a learning curve for sure, but that has been much easier than expected ,thanks to this forum .
hcarlow

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

PostBy: hcarlow On: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 am

Do any of you 110 owners know how much range the fine tune control knob on the stoker has ? Would it equal say 1 turn on the feed screw .
I had a few hot coals coming off the end of the grate after a fairly long burn time last night and the fine tune knob was already at min. so this morning I backed off the feed screw 1 turn and put the fine tune knob at half way ,will have to see what happens .
hcarlow

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 pm

hcarlow wrote:Do any of you 110 owners know how much range the fine tune control knob on the stoker has ? Would it equal say 1 turn on the feed screw .
I had a few hot coals coming off the end of the grate after a fairly long burn time last night and the fine tune knob was already at min. so this morning I backed off the feed screw 1 turn and put the fine tune knob at half way ,will have to see what happens .

The fine tune knobs have nothing to do with the max feed when you are calling for heat from the aquastat they are not used in that part of the circuit. I actually just ignore they are even there. They are only in the circuit during the idle/timer on function.
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: hcarlow On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:11 am

Ok thanks Dave, now that I think about it that was dumb question . By backing off the feeder screw 1 turn it is looking very good now after a long burn time as I have about 1 inch of ash at the end of the grate .
hcarlow

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:03 pm

hcarlow wrote:Ok thanks Dave, now that I think about it that was dumb question . By backing off the feeder screw 1 turn it is looking very good now after a long burn time as I have about 1 inch of ash at the end of the grate .

Not a dumb question at all. If you don't understand I am glad to confuse you more ooops I mean help. My point with the rehostats is that there is enough variability with the timers they are not real necessary. The only one I could see being used is the one for the combustion blower, that can be useful for low draft situations with the idle fire. You can cut down on the air going in the boiler during that time with a cold chimney. Dave
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: hcarlow On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:31 am

The 110 was shut down for 24 hrs. due to a power outage . I got a nice fire going with some charcoal and turned the unit on and the combustion fan came on fine but the feeder motor let out a screaching sound so I shut it off . I had only burned a little over a ton of coal so it shouldn't have been that dirty . I remembered reading in the owners manual about oiling etc. which I did to fan even though that was working fine , but wanted to try to try something else first as It was like things may have been all bound up from sitting still I guess and the feed motor just couldn't push it ( just my thought ) .
I pulled the feed plate in and out a couple times and restarted and it all worked fine . Any of your inputs here would be appreciated .
hcarlow

PostBy: Matthaus On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 pm

The noise was not the gear motor, it needs no lubrication. The feeder carpet however needs a little manual movement back and forth when you first start it up to make sure iut is free and easy to move. You did exactly the right thing.
Matthaus

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite

PostBy: hcarlow On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks Matt
hcarlow

PostBy: LsFarm On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Congratulations on the purchase and install of a great boiler.

Like was said: ;Learn as you burn: great advice.

as the weeks and months go by, you will get a 'feel for the boiler, the fire, and coal use.
Take notes, so next year you don't have to relearn all the lessons and settings.

Take care, Merry Christmas.

Greg Long
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: hcarlow On: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks Greg for your help along the way also and you and yours have Merry Christmas . Herb
hcarlow

Visit Lehigh Anthracite