Well, I guess the new anthrastats, mine at least, do not come adjusted. The stat came set at 140 degrees. I installed the stat right out of the box believing that Axeman would have set the gauge and tested it. But, with the stat left at the factory setting I immediately noticed ashing problems, or more specifically burn pot fire problems in that the fire was small sized and weaker than normal. Using a allen key to make adjustments, I was able to get it to switch to ash mode after turning the dial to around the 180 degree mark. At this point I wanted to make sure of the calibration of the unit,...So, it was off to the stove top with a couple of thermometers and a volt meter/tester.
I did not reset the stat at all, I kept the 140 degree setting, attached a continuity tester, placed it in a large pot of water and turned the heat to medium for a nice gradual approach to 140 degrees to see if the stat would kick on at the set mark of 140 degrees.
Well, it reached 140 but just kept slowly rising. Finally kicking on at approximately 166 degrees.
We retested the unit on both the downward movement to break continuity as well as another cycle once it cooled off and finally calibrated the stat for 140 degrees.
Not everyone was as pleased with the appropriation of cooking accouterments and incessant beeping of a continuity tester as we.
Last edited by Townsend
on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.