Alternatives for Lighting Coal

Re: Alternatives for Lighting Coal

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:45 pm

mikeandgerry wrote:Lisa,

are they the ones that are cardboard or the ones that are like gray paper mache?

I'd guess you'd say it was the gray paper mache kind. It's a very loose pressed cardboard, clearly a recycled material. It's about a 1/8 of inch thick. It tears easily and has a nice long burn with no smoke or flying embers, unlike newspaper. I really like it along with the Match Lite as a fire starter. It makes my life easier. Good luck, Lisa
lowfog01

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I

PostBy: AdkCoal On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:08 pm

I do what many here have said that they do and use Matchlite Charcoal briquetes.

When I shut down in the spring, I take the coal that is left in the hopper (about a 2 gallons worth) and set it aside all summer so that it is nice and dry for my winter firing.

When it is time to start up, I take about a dozen lumps of charcoal and grind them into a powder. Mix that with the dry charcoal, put it on the grate, turn on the Keystoker and hit the mess with Mapp gas. Will be burning in under 2 minutes.
AdkCoal

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KAA-2

PostBy: ruger44 On: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:37 pm

The only two items that i found that will start the anthracite are the startes specifically for that. One looks like a firework, it has a fuse on it and the other is a bag with swdust and i believe it has the magnesium in it. I tried using a propane torch just to see if it would light and it will not.
ruger44

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:23 pm

a little newspaper and cowboy charcoal i get mine at walmart its royal oak brand 100% natural

to get a coal fire going you need to get a draft going first, i always heat the chimney with a good burn of newspaper before i start the reg fire.

Jeff
RAYJAY

Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

PostBy: Oakback On: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Use match lite if I'm feeling lazy in my Harman hand-fired.
If I'm out of match lite, I just go in the woods and gather some dry kindling, which also works good.

Good thing is, that I've finally gotten to the point that I can keep the stove running as long as I want now.
Will only shut it down when the weather changes, or I want to give it a good cleaning. I'm not re-starting it much anymore
Oakback

PostBy: Cheetah On: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 pm

ruger44 wrote:The only two items that i found that will start the anthracite are the startes specifically for that. One looks like a firework, it has a fuse on it and the other is a bag with swdust and i believe it has the magnesium in it. I tried using a propane torch just to see if it would light and it will not.

For starting pea coal, cut 2 feet of 2X4 into 6" lengths and split into roughly 3/4" squares. Spread a thin layer of coal on grate and stack about half the kindling on it with plenty of room for air flow. Light the wood with your propane torch. When it is about half burnt, add a little coal and then the remainder of the wood. When that wood is half burnt add a little more coal. By the time the wood is all burnt there should be enough coal burning to keep it going. Works for me :)
Cheetah

Stove/Furnace Make: Surdiac
Stove/Furnace Model: Gotha 713

Re:

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:47 pm

AL-53 wrote:
coalkirk wrote:I've found that lump type charcoal, not briquets, works really well. You generally have to buy it in larger bags but it will last forever if you keep it dry. A few very small pieces of dry oak with a few pieces of lump charcoal and hit it with the propane torch for about 20 seconds. Do this with the combustion blower off. then once it's lit, close the door, turn on the blower and in a few minutes, you've got some nice glowing coals. Then sprinkle some rice coal on top, wait another couple of minutes and turn on the feeder. This works very well and yoou don't have the stink of the match light fuel.

yes..the lump charcoal..I call it cowboy charcoal..is a natural charcoal...made in beehive kilns....looks like chunks of wood.....we have a place near me that makes it..I go get all the small stuff....it lights fast and is hot...I put it on a bed of wood pellets...little lighter fluid..and lite ..starts coal very nice.....I have use stove mice also and it works fast....

AL

Exactly what I do .... pellets, wood, lump charcoal, then once the charcoal is burning then start slowly layering the coal on ~ 2 hrs to complete the filling of the box with coal
davidmcbeth3

Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

PostBy: ottawadriver On: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Our local supplier for the "mice" is now limiting each customer to 3 or 4 mice per visit. They say the company that produces them burned to the ground recently. So whenever we drive by we grab a few, so we have a stockpile for when the stores inventory dries up.
ottawadriver

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: Allegheny

PostBy: CoalUserWannabe On: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:04 pm

ottawadriver wrote:Our local supplier for the "mice" is now limiting each customer to 3 or 4 mice per visit. They say the company that produces them burned to the ground recently. So whenever we drive by we grab a few, so we have a stockpile for when the stores inventory dries up.

When you run out of all other options, just grab some wood sticks, I went visiting my buddy, and I had a nice beer and a good fire show !:

Next time, I am taking my Hottie girlfriend with me to convince her it's easy to start, and we'll take our Hooka with us, of course some beer too.

We need to have a thread on starting Hookas as well

CoalUserWannabe

Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Kodiak

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Very cool! I like it.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:04 pm

I use CATS ... 2 or 3 they run around and around and get the coal started...
davidmcbeth3

Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

PostBy: blue_chopper On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:47 pm

I use MAP gas in a plumbers torch to light mine 3x hotter than propane.
blue_chopper

Stove/Furnace Make: AQUAII Alaska channingIII
Stove/Furnace Model: 500

PostBy: TAMNOZ On: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:42 pm

I take a road flare cut into 4" pieces then pile a little coal on it and hit with my mapp gas torch. Works every time but the mice work well to.
Jim
TAMNOZ

Stove/Furnace Make: KEYSTOKER soon
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker

PostBy: Jersey John On: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:38 am

I'm going to break tradition with what everyone else is using, and simply state that I've only had my DS 1500 stove hooked up for two weeks.

Since last week on one cooler night in particular, I decided to start a coal fire, with the intent on letting it die off on it's own. So, I started a small kindling fire, and added a few larger kindling pieces...to which I added some coal, and enjoyed for the first time the crackling and bright blue flames. I didn't load the stove up, but just simply added a 4 qt scoopsto see how long it would burn, and was amazed to wake up to a warm house...quite a testament to the virtues of heating with coal.

Since last week, I've started it twice more, and now am more or less running it full time and simply banking it down during the day. As I understand from my coal dealer, I must have pretty good draft, because the fire continues to hold it's own, despite the warmer day temps. I do have a Barometric Damper set between 4 and 6 most of the time...

I considered the Matchlight..but figured if kindling has worked for a wood fire since the beginning of time, why shouldn't it work for a coal fire. I didn't purchase my upstairs wood stove nor this coal stove for a pushbutton experience. I rather enjoy nurturing the fire, and it has been quite easy so far. Besides, kindling is free...
Jersey John

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove

PostBy: daddyo43 On: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:56 am

believe it or not i came across a few rolls of hooka charcoal,, the stuff they use in hooka pipes.its pretty much instant light charcoal with no fluid. two to three of them,, i lit them side by side on the plate ( they kinda fizzle when they light) threw some coal on top and turned the stove on , the coal lit in a few minutes,,
you can pick them up in any smoke shop that sells hooka pipes,, they cost under two bucks for a roll, and the roll usually has 6 to 10 of them in it, a lower cost alternative to the mice or starter bags that go for about 1.50 each up by me
daddyo43

Coal Size/Type: rice
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: kast konsole