Thief !

Re: Thief !

PostBy: titleist1 On: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:07 pm

"We got a phone call 2 days later telling us that they had located the truck in Tulsa, OK right near Oral Roberts University.... They use the change in the door to refuel it. They were caught as they had just about run out of gas and were doing a "u" turn to get into the gas station."

One good thing about these high gas prices today is the thieves wouldn't have gotten out of PA using the change in the truck for gas money and your Dad wouldn't have had to go so far to retrieve the truck!! :doh:
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: Freddy On: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Dann, I'm glad you got your stuff back. Getting robbed sucks!

In the early '90's we went to visit a cousin in Jersey City, New Jersey. Her apartment faced a public park. It was daytime, lot's of people in the park. We found a parking spot & walked about one minute to her front door. Just as she answered the door a car pulled out opening a parking space right in front of her place. I told Marty to stand in the space & I ran to get the van. When I got to it a window was broken & it had been robbed. All the suitcases were open, everything of value was gone. They left the travelers checks! (but only because they were $50's. $20's they do not ask for an ID to cash) They also left the pennies in the dashboard tray. If we had walked backwards we could have watched it get robbed.... along with all the witnesses that "saw nothing". So, we emptied the van into my cousins apartment & spent the night. I also pulled the coil wire & brought that in. The next morning the battery & the pennies were gone. Nice neighborhood!
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

PostBy: Barnzy On: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:52 pm

You get a bitter feeling after being robbed.

In the early 90's, worked on a job in Farmingdale Long Island and stayed during the week at a Hotel on the Sunrise Highway
in Merrick. Looked like a nice place, fenced in parking area, security cameras, etc.
Early one morning, during one of the worst snow storms to hit Long Island that year, we went out to my truck only to
find out it was broken into. Drivers side window smashed out, everything taken, cab filled with snow, tools missing
from bed of truck under the cap. They took high dollar stuff, Hilti Hammer Drills, Partner K1200 Demo Saw and an
array of other tools.
The local Police said listen, your in New York, do you expect to ever see your tools again.
They even checked with the homeless man who lived in the Cardboard Recycling Dumpster to see if he heard or saw anything.
But he was not home when they lifted the lid on the dumpster.
I still feel the night desk clerk at the hotel had something to do with it. He said he did not see anything, but had an odd grin
on his face that I could still see.
The cameras were not on a recorder.
Picked up a piece of 1/8" plexiglass, traced the window and cut it with tin snips, sealed with GE silicone and came home.
Now I'm starting to get that bitter feeling again.
I feel for all you guys that have been robbed.
Barnzy

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM AP-520-1
Coal Size/Type: Rice -- Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: AP-520-1

PostBy: ceccil On: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Not a personal experiance, but there was a bar not to far away that was broken into in the middle of the night a few years back. Was in winter and was snowing lightly, maybe an inch or so on the ground. When the police showed up in the AM they were able to just follow the tracks from the bar straight to the kids house. They were even able to prove who it was due to the tread patterns from their sneakers. I don't know what the final outcome was, but at least they were caught.
ceccil

Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Mark III

PostBy: ScubaSteve On: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:51 pm

I am an account manager for Red Bull an I was walking to the back of a Rite Aid to check my Shelves. I turned the corner and noticed a cute high school aged girl toss a can of Red Bull in her back pack. I stopped abruptly and watched her throw 4 more in. I said "You should be ashamed that your doing that!" She froze and turned the brightest shade of Red. She was frozen in fear. I said "Im not going to turn you in, just put them ALL back. And you need to really think about what you are doing. Dont throw your life away...." She put them back and ran out... What is this world coming too? She was so "middle class USA" looking.. What drives people to do stuff like that?
ScubaSteve

Stove/Furnace Make: Vermont Castings Vigilant II
Stove/Furnace Model: model 2310

PostBy: japar On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Few weeks back went to work Monday mourning and my Honda Accord parts car was gone, been parked there 3 years out front needed a motor didn't even run just never got around to swap engine. It was only a 92 paid only $200 but it had 4 brand new tires how could I loose. I asked around and one guy in the build next door just put in cameras. Car was taken 4:30 Sunday broad daylight Jeep goes by followed by a tow truck 12 minutes later there goes the Jeep then there goes the tow truck with my Honda on the hook. Call the cops make a report. That following Tuesday I get a call at home 7:30 at night by the officer if I could meet him at my shop that he has info on my Honda. I race down there only to find my 4x4 F350 plow truck on the back of the same wrecker WTF. Long story short I got hit by the Craigslist car theif. The tow truck guy ran a legit business buying junk cars. He was called buy a guy and meet him at my shop paid him $275 for my Honda and two days later $600 for the 4x4. My Honda was junked I got my 4x4 back now the chase is on for the Craigslist car theif
japar

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hearthmate
Stove/Furnace Make: Hearthmate
Stove/Furnace Model: combo

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Don't the tow truck guy's ask for a title or some sort of paperwork ? I was under the belief when ever a tow truck picks something up, their was some sort of paper trail (at least in PA. )
AA130FIREMAN

Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube

PostBy: KLook On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:46 pm

You don't think the tow truck guy knew he was buying stolen cars???? Same guy selling from multiple locations?
Craigslist is real bad. I listed a tonneau cover recently and got lots of scam calls. So did my brother selling his tractor up in NY. A young friend of mine just had his mother fall prey to one. Not a smart thing she did, but might get her money back.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: SMITTY On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:16 am

I deal with C-list alot. So many idiots call it's tough to have a good attitude when you answer the phone. Most people want something for nothing ... and the rest barely speak English. :roll: Once in a blue moon a legit person will come by and buy something. I refuse to leave my property though. Come here, or don't buy it. There's a few reasons for that. ;)
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: rberq On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:56 am

KLook wrote:Craigslist is real bad.

I get mixed results. Nothing but spam replies when I leave an email address. Someone on this forum said to give just a phone number, so I did that when I sold my Harman stove.

First guy who called was serious but not ready to make the jump from wood to coal. We must have talked 20 minutes and I educated him but he never called back. He did tell me where he lived, and I drove by his house a week later, in a nice mid-scale neighborhood with houses pretty close together. He should have bought my stove! It was a warm day, he had a smoky wood fire going and his neighbors' houses were all engulfed in the cloud, I'm surprised they weren't throwing rocks through his windows.

Next guy who called was all excited, it was exactly what he was looking for, and he showed up next day with a handful of crisp $100 bills.

Thieves ARE a worry, though. People come to look at the stuff for sale, they see lots of other stuff while they are there, and you wonder if they will come back to make an unscheduled pick-up later.
rberq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane