Illegal Immigrants effecting the Electoral College

Illegal Immigrants effecting the Electoral College

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 pm

I wasn't aware of this but illegal immigrants are counted in the census which dictates how electoral college votes are distributed. A state like California with a lot of illegal immigrants gets an inflated number of electoral college votes.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

As required by Article I and the Fourteenth Amendment, the decennial census, which allocates to each state its congressional seats and Electoral College votes, is based on a count of all people who live in the United States, citizens and noncitizens alike — or as the Constitution phrases it, “the whole number of persons in each state.” That means millions of noncitizens who are ineligible to vote are included in Electoral College calculations, and that benefits some states over others. Most of these noncitizens are here legally; however, the Pew Hispanic Center estimates that about 45 percent of noncitizens are undocumented immigrants.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Illegal Immigrants effecting the Electoral College

PostBy: titleist1 On: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:42 pm

As soon as they find out they now qualify for "in-state" tuition rates they will be heading to MD. Sorry, but you legal US citizens that do not live in MD get to pay more than the illegals.
titleist1

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

PostBy: rberq On: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Richard S. wrote:
As required by Article I and the Fourteenth Amendment, the decennial census, which allocates to each state its congressional seats and Electoral College votes, is based on a count of all people who live in the United States, citizens and noncitizens alike — or as the Constitution phrases it, “the whole number of persons in each state.” That means millions of noncitizens who are ineligible to vote are included in Electoral College calculations, and that benefits some states over others.

Interesting. But what conclusion do we draw? That this is good? That this is bad? That we should be pissed off that we have a Constitution? That we should amend it? That we should ignore it? That the framers of the Constitution intended this? Or would have written it differently if they had realized the implications? That it contradicts the principle of one man one vote? That it made sense because there were lots of present and expected immigrants, who were likely to become full citizens? That we should be mad at illegal aliens? That we should be thankful for illegal aliens if we live in one of the states that is "benefited"? I think you could argue plausibly for a "yes" or "no" answer to any of these questions.
Last edited by rberq on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rberq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 pm

rberq wrote:Interesting. But what conclusion do we draw? That this is good? That this is bad? That we should be pissed off that we have a Constitution? That we should amend it? That we should ignore it? That the framers of the Constitution intended this? Or would have written it differently if they had realized the implications? That it contradicts the principle of one man one vote? That it made sense because there were lots of present and expected immigrants, who were likely to become full citizens? That we should be mad at illegal aliens? That we should be thankful for illegal aliens if we live in one of the states that is "benefited"? I think you could argue plausibly for a "yes" or "no" answer to any of these questions.

Rberg I think the bigger issue is the House, the people in Congress should be there representing the interests of the citizens of this country. If you have an illegal population driving up the amount of representatives a state has they are skewing the representation a state has which is undeniably going to cater to them, see California for example. It certainly makes sense now why California would invite these people to come there.

If in the future this were to effect a Presidential election there is going to be some serious blowback.
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: freetown fred On: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 pm

If in the future this were to effect a Presidential election there is going to be some serious blowback. I'd sure like to hope so Richard
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: rberq On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 am

Richard S. wrote:... I think the bigger issue is the House ... If you have an illegal population driving up the amount of representatives a state has they are skewing the representation a state has ... see California for example.
If in the future this were to affect a Presidential election there is going to be some serious blowback.

Your answer to one of my questions seems to be, "Yes this is bad." In California, the numbers I can find say that at least 6 percent are illegal immigrants, which certainly is significant. Maybe in 1868, when the 14th Amendment was adopted, there was as yet little concept of "illegal" as opposed to "legal" immigrants? The amendment dealt directly and indirectly with the results of slavery -- the provision for "persons" as opposed to "citizens" was quite intentional, and was included with full realization that it would have an effect on politics and representation.

So come on, all you lovers of the Constitution, support it. :!: These provisions were put there on purpose, for a reason. If you are going to pick on this one piece just because it seems to have a temporary effect that you don't like, then you have to allow OTHER people to pick on the parts THEY don't like.
rberq

PostBy: jpete On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:09 am

I don't have a problem supporting the 14th.

It's the concept of "anchor babies" I abhor.

If the parents are illegal, and they are caught, ship 'em out! They can decide if they want to take the kid with them or not.

If not, find a legal relative or guardian.

If there are none, most states have systems for dealing with orphan children.
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: rberq On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:57 am

jpete wrote:It's the concept of "anchor babies" I abhor.

Don't change the subject.
rberq

PostBy: jpete On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:52 pm

rberq wrote:
jpete wrote:It's the concept of "anchor babies" I abhor.

Don't change the subject.

I thought that was the subject.

We know where and who the illegals are despite all the hand wringing about "rounding them up"

We don't get rid of them because we don't want to be seen as cruel and heartless in splitting up families because the kids are citizens and the parents aren't.
jpete

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah, God knows we don't want no shootin from the hip on all that BS :mad:
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: Dann757 On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:05 pm

sorry but bob is a typical clueless moral high ground liberal pontificating from his rural all white neighborhood again. ie he could see what i see every day in nj he might have a little more concern for the facts. i live near many communities that have been completely latinized. no assimilisation into american culture and the willful intent to have as many anchor babies as humanly possible.
Dann757

PostBy: SMITTY On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:54 pm

I hear that Dan - nearly every city in MA is headed that way as well. :mad:
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler