Coffee....11-3.... after Sandy

Re: Coffee....11-3.... after Sandy

PostBy: Dann757 On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:47 pm

What am I the only guy still suckin wind from Sandy? No power here, trying to help a few people, the one lady couldn't even plug in a standard 3O amp clic lock plug into her generator, the well wasn't working, I got there and they had duct tape all over the gen trying to hold in a locking plug. I scolded her then felt bad and called to apologize. I offered to change the oil in her generac and went over, got it done, then saw they had the gas cap loose hahaha. Nothing like having a gas cap vibrate off a running hot gen and spritz the hot muffler with a spark plug right next to it! The people that think they're preppers are dangerous. Cleanup continues, gas lines gone, more utitility trucks around. Gotta patch a farmhouse roof as soon as the snow melts off it. Plowed the driveway here 6 am with the 68 Sears, hit 2 neighbors front driveways just to clear the town plow's snow berm. Then I got ham-handed and busted a tie rod end. " Um yes I'm looking for a center link for a 68 Sears Ten XL" " Oh yes sir we have plenty of those in stock every day." - I just got a typical lawn tractor tie rod end at the lawnmower shop for $6 and will weld it in if the power ever comes back on! Getting used to the pioneer life WTF. I washed a bunch of laundry in the kitchen sink with a potato masher! hahaha I have clotheslines nailed up in the kitchen, the coal stove will do thd drying.
Dann757

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Dann,

Good to see you are still plugging away. When you got gas did you get any smokes ??? :smoke:

The McMansion right behind my shop burned up the night of Sandy hitting here (Monday 10-29) The initial report was for a generator fire, then a structure fire !!!! Makes me wonder if he was refilling it while hot and still running. I went to see him 2 days later to offer any assistance I could but he was busy with the insurance people.

Hope you get power soon. Perhaps a local gas station could weld that old Sears for you....... Most at least have torches and a MIG nearby.

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: SMITTY On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:06 am

Dann757 wrote: ... the one lady couldn't even plug in a standard 3O amp clic lock plug into her generator, the well wasn't working, I got there and they had duct tape all over the gen trying to hold in a locking plug. ....

You gotta look at it this way Dan - you've got piles of entertainment that people would pay to get ... but the source of the entertainment is paying YOU! Free entertainment! :funny: Can't beat that! 8-)

Duct tape on a twist-loc .... BWAHAHAHA!!! :rofl:

Hey you could've went to the local chain autoparts store for that tie rod: "what is the make and model of this truck?" :lol: Reminds me of the insurance lady asking my buddy how many cylinders his trailer had .... :rofl:

Hope you get power back soon there. At least for now you have .... entertainment!

I've been having a mental meltdown this week with no entertainment of any kind to ease the pain. The election started it all ... then the Focus ... then the Blazer ... then the electrical department at Lowe's - I can't get a break this week! Long story short, the Blazer needs work inside the front differential to get the 4x4 working again, AND, the surging/stalling under load/on hills thing is back again. Problem #1. Next ... well I'll skip the details but lets just say the Focus is baaaaaaaaaack! If anyone wants to buy it and can handle the inevitable repairs that will come up on a 12 year old vehicle, then shoot me a PM.
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: crazy4coal On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:58 am

Hi all, Have been cut off from the coal world since 29th no power yet, no word when, the town has been calling jcp&l every hour for update, "we are on the list". I wonder if they would like a few hundred gallons of sewerage dumped on their front lawn. There are 7 houses on our street that pump are waste water to the town, no power, no pump. We have about 40 houses on the line and the primary feed is down, no broken poles no wires down from houses. They had a man in a pu truck watching 1 wire 24 hrs a day for 7 days and on monday they sent a truck in the middle of the night to cut the wire down and everybody left and only asshat with clipboards still nothing. gotta go. Later.
crazy4coal

Stove/Furnace Make: buderus
Stove/Furnace Model: logana

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 am

Bob, I had been wondering how you fared. Sucks yo hear JCP&L is dragging their feet but it is nothing new with those idiots. Hopefully they get you back up and running soon. Let me know if you need anything.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

PostBy: Smoker858 On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Relatives in Mountain Lake (near Belvedere) NJ were told no power untill Dec 3. My daughter in Union Beach NJ had 18" of Raritan Bay in her house. We cut out all of the sheetrock up to 4 foot and removed insulation. That was last weekend, now ready to rebuild but have to wait for a code inspecter to come and tell us what we already know. Our daughter did not come out of this too bad. Only lost brand new appliances, a rug, sheetrock and kitchen base cabinets. A lot lost all in Union Beach. On the bright side, away from home all week and the wife is running the Hitzer. Still on the 1 match. :)
Smoker858

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Glad to hear all that w/ the daughter. :)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: crazy4coal On: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:Bob, I had been wondering how you fared. Sucks yo hear JCP&L is dragging their feet but it is nothing new with those idiots. Hopefully they get you back up and running soon. Let me know if you need anything.

Well, After 12 days power back on at 2pm today. We have power to the pump so now we can take a dump. Contractors from PA had all lines up and working in less than 4 hours! love them guys. Now we are going to haul wood from the shore for a bond fire to roast some JCP&L asses. I may give them coal so it's a good HOT fire. The main office for jcp&l, gpu ( where dispatching is done) backed the big BO so, that right there why they are so F..Up.
crazy4coal

Stove/Furnace Make: buderus
Stove/Furnace Model: logana