COAL BIN Pics

Re: COAL BIN Pics

PostBy: coalkirk On: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Yeah, gas fumes are heavy and drop down to the floor. Probably best to keep all that stuff in the shed. Keep us posted as your boiler gets piped.
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: brewmiesterbuck On: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Finished my coal bin 2 weeks ago. Built it on 4x4's so that it is moveable if I ever need to. 2x4 construction with weatherproof subflooring, t111 siding, zinc plated hinges, stained to match the house. It also has 4 locks on it to make sure no one takes the coal.

4'x10'x4' in the front and 6' in the back. It should hold 5 tons. I'm getting 4 delivered just to see what that looks like.

There are 4 areas to access the coal, to 4' sections in the middle (front and top) and 2' section on the side. The middle is 4' to accomodate shoveling, the 2' sections are to chute coal into the corners without having to shovel much.

My plan is to use a flat shovel and load it into a hand-pulled garden trailer that can hold about 700 lbs at a time. I've loaded up the cart and it isn't bad to pull surprisingly. I'll park the cart beside the house and use a coal hod to load from there. A tarp will cover it to keep ice and snow out. If that doesn't work for me, I'll be building a satelite bin next to house to hold 1/2 ton or so.

I have mid-build pics that I'll post when I get access to my camera, for now this is from the cell when it was finished.

This will feed the Hitzer 503 that I installed last weekend. That thread is in the hand-fired forum. Can't wait for some colder weather.
Attachments
IMG00170-20120829-1814.jpg
(152.94 KiB) Viewed 117 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Coal Bin Finished
[nepathumb]36256[/nepathumb]
brewmiesterbuck

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

PostBy: Wiz On: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:05 am

Nice bin brewmiesterbuck. Don't see if it's on blocks, but would suggest it. It'll let air flow under it to keep it from rotting from wetness.
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:02 pm

My 3 compartment coal bin is almost complete now. It holds 2 tons per compartment. It presently has 5 tons of UAE Harmony in it. Here is the latest updated picture. An earlier picture can be seen a page or two back.
Attachments
STA74244.JPG
(148.36 KiB) Viewed 240 times
[nepathumb]36510[/nepathumb]
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (It has been fixed!)

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Nice job!
Looks like the chickens got a bit too close to the bins when you were loading them with that unwashed UEA!
    :rofl: :roll2: :funny:
VigIIPeaBurner

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 pm

:D My 19 hens are all Black Australorps. Did you see our Call Duck in the picture? (it looks like a miniature Mallard, but it is an adult duck) Never clipped its wings. It lives with the hens, and it faithfully waddles into the coop at the end of each day. The duck is better in that regard than a few of my stubborn hens.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (It has been fixed!)

PostBy: coalkirk On: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 am

My coal bin will hold 5 1/2 tons if filled to the floor joists. Unfortunatley once I have filled it to the height of the window, it still has about 2' to go. I installed a 4"pvc pipe above the window to be able to take advantage of that last 2' but it does not have enough pitch for the coal to flow. It's gotta be persuaded. Introducing my Rube Goldberg Coal Persuader. I know it looks goofy but it works like a charm. The coal will flow as fast as I can dump it in. Best to have the coal alittle damp to hold down dust.
rube.jpg
rube.jpg (5.74 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
Select:BBcode:
[nepafile=36580]rube.jpg[/nepafile]
coalkirk

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

PostBy: SteveZee On: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:22 pm

I got the bin in my barn filled today with 6 tons of Blaschack's best bulk. This is 4 tons of stove and 2 tons of nut mixed together. Guy was able to back the chute right into the window and we didn't have to touch it. I like it when a plan comes together. That red line in on the back of the bin wall is the 6ft line.
Attachments
IMG_3701 (Medium).JPG
(198.78 KiB) Viewed 76 times
[nepathumb]36692[/nepathumb]
IMG_3702 (Medium).JPG
(241.7 KiB) Viewed 73 times
[nepathumb]36693[/nepathumb]
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: Townsend On: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:49 am

Looks great Steve!
Townsend

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Buck

PostBy: Vangellis On: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:20 am

Here's how I store my coal right outside the patio door. It's a Waste Management Bagster which can be had at most hardware stores.
http://www.thebagster.com/

What I like about this set up is unloading. I can back up my Ford Ranger and roll the load off with a load handler. For those that don't know
what that is...http://www.loadhandler.com/

I generally get about 1100 lbs @ Casey Kassa at a time. The first load pretty much rolls right in. The second load I have to do some raking to
"make room" for the rest as it comes off the truck. Main problem with the Bagster is that it will bulge out beyond it's 4' x 8' size, so keep that in mind.

There are straps on each side so I have the back side tied up on one of my wood racks for support. This is my second year using this.

Beats shoveling. This is about 2300 lbs.

Tarped

Backside

Kevin
Vangellis

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Olix Air Flo
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Stove/Furnace Model: Hudson Wood/Coal Burning

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Kevin,

Using the wood rack to hold the back side....... toothy :rofl: :clap:

Good use of a bagster. Perhaps you could build a frame to hold the sides up and keep it from expanding ???

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: Vangellis On: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Rick 386 wrote:Kevin,

Using the wood rack to hold the back side....... toothy :rofl: :clap:

Good use of a bagster. Perhaps you could build a frame to hold the sides up and keep it from expanding ???
Rick

Yeah, pretty ironic I guess. :)

I've thought about the frame thing, but for now this works. Spring comes, I roll up the Bagster and store the skids away.

Kevin
Vangellis

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Olix Air Flo
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Stove/Furnace Model: Hudson Wood/Coal Burning

PostBy: rebjr615 On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:14 am

After looking at every coal bin pic on here looking for ideas I figure now that I built mine I better contribute so the next person can see what I did. Here is my pics of my coal bin. it currently has 3.6 ton of nut coal. it is 6 x 16, 3 ft high in front and 4 ft in the back.
coal bin 1.jpg
(89.66 KiB) Viewed 916 times
[nepathumb]37870[/nepathumb]
I just prop the lid up for now, I will probably build a pulley system some day.
coal bin open.jpg
(94.34 KiB) Viewed 940 times
[nepathumb]37871[/nepathumb]
I use a 1200 lb wagon from northern and park it near the stove. I am heating a 26 X 90 dog boarding business, the dogs absolutely love the heat.
coal wagon.jpg
(50.79 KiB) Viewed 57 times
[nepathumb]37872[/nepathumb]
rebjr615

Stove/Furnace Make: Gold Marc
Stove/Furnace Model: Independence

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:09 pm

How do you get the coal out of the nice bin you've built?
VigIIPeaBurner

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

PostBy: Wiz On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:20 pm

I figure now that I built mine I better contribute so the next person can see what I did
Nice bin thanks for sharing
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(