Trouble with coal trol digital thermostat

PostBy: Luscious Clay On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 am

I recently purchased a Susquehanna stoker stove with a coal trol digital thermostat and am having problems with the convection blower motor, that runs for long extend times, like 6 to 8 hours at a time. The only relief I found is that if I baby sit the coal trol thermostat and adjust the CFM throughout the day to keep the convection blower on track from blowing cold air after heating the house with warm air. Is there any happy medium to this madness?
:mad: :? :mad: :? :mad:
Luscious Clay

Re: Trouble with coal trol digital thermostat

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:25 am

I would suggest contacting Automation-Correct aka Coal-trol. The online resource I see does not mention your stove. I am sure they will guide you on adjusting your unit.
2001Sierra

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

PostBy: lewis On: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:05 am

That problem there is an oldie but a goodie.

Read this thread http://nepacrossroads.com/about2879.html
lewis

Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Old Model Magnum

PostBy: baddawg On: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:57 am

LC, Welcome to the forums. How about a update?
baddawg

Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer BV

PostBy: WNYRob On: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:49 pm

I got tripped up the same way when I first started using my coal trol. One thing to keep in mind is that your convection fan will probably run most of the time when it gets cold.

The fan runs based on your feed rate which will range from 0 to 99. At lower feed rates your fan will run slower and as feed rate climbs (as your thermostat calls for more heat, in response to your house cooling off) and your stove heats up, your conv. fan will ramp up its rpm. Usually your fan will kick on below a feed rate of 10 or so (whatever you have your cfm set at).

This is how the coal-trol tries to eliminate temp swings. At the lower feed rates (and resulting slower conv. fan speed) it is churning out what feels like cold air, but the air is probably 10-20 degrees higher than your house’s ambient air. This is maintained (like cruise control on a flat road) until more heat is needed to keep your house temp up, then your stove will kick it up a notch (like going up-hill with cruise control) to get you up to your set point, then your stove will drop back down to its cruising level (all this happening with your conv. fan running).

I have a coal trol controlling a koker in the basement, and with the current cold weather, my convection fan is running most of the day. The fan only turns off if my temp overshoots my set point a little, which results in my feed rate dropping below my CFM while the house cools down to below the set point.

The problem I had when I first started using the coal trol is that my thinking was still geared toward standard thermostats with their on full blast-off-on full blast cycles, which lends itself to temp swings while using coal. The coal trol is slow and steady, with periodically needed boosts of heat output.
WNYRob

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

PostBy: Luscious Clay On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for the help guy's. I got the thermostat calibrated & the feed plate was out of adjustment. Now the convection blower runs like it spouse to ( for an hour or so) no more cold air after heating the house with warm air. The convection blower runes at a slower rpm after heating for 15 to 20 minutes then turn off.

Thanks for the help
LC :D :D :D
Luscious Clay