Is there any reason to have hot water going to toilets?

Re: Is there any reason to have hot water going to toilets?

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Well said NS.

To the government: Stay the F out of my house!! :mad3:
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: warminmn On: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:43 pm

I bought a new toilet this summer that uses 1.25 gallons per flush or 1.6, depending on how long I hold the handle down. The new toilets are rated as to how good they flush and the higher the rating the better they flush. Mine was about $150 new and had a higher rating and it will flush "almost" anything on the 1.6 gallons.

When they first made those rules years ago the toilets made were real junk and wouldnt flush crap, literally. You had to use a pail of water to flush them. real junk

I dont think you can buy the high volume toilets anymore or at least I didnt see any. Yep, regulations
warminmn

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite. Soft coal
Other Heating: wood

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 am

warminmn wrote:I bought a new toilet this summer that uses 1.25 gallons per flush or 1.6, depending on how long I hold the handle down. The new toilets are rated as to how good they flush and the higher the rating the better they flush. Mine was about $150 new and had a higher rating and it will flush "almost" anything on the 1.6 gallons.

When they first made those rules years ago the toilets made were real junk and wouldnt flush crap, literally. You had to use a pail of water to flush them. real junk

I dont think you can buy the high volume toilets anymore or at least I didnt see any. Yep, regulations

As long as they work but there is other problems, you need X amount of water to insure the waste is actually making it's way through the system.

San Francisco's big push for low-flow toilets has turned into a multimillion-dollar plumbing stink.

Skimping on toilet water has resulted in more sludge backing up inside the sewer pipes, said Tyrone Jue, spokesman for the city Public Utilities Commission. That has created a rotten-egg stench near AT&T Park and elsewhere, especially during the dry summer months.

The city has already spent $100 million over the past five years to upgrade its sewer system and sewage plants, in part to combat the odor problem.

Now officials are stocking up on a $14 million, three-year supply of highly concentrated sodium hypochlorite - better known as bleach - to act as an odor eater and to disinfect the city's treated water before it's dumped into the bay. It will also be used to sanitize drinking water.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ro ... z2CASsBfUG
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: Joeski On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

So where might this valve be located? Under the floor of the room the toilet is in or the basement so one valve can do all toilets. I have been looking but had no luck so far. I want to temper it down to a reasonable temp since right now it's really almost too hot to even wash my hands with if I was the kind of guy to wash my hands in a toilet. toothy

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

PostBy: plumb-r On: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:47 pm

If the water is too hot you can kiss your wax bowl ring good bye. Then the toilet will leak on the floor under the toilet where you can't see it causing the floor to rot out. I'm just saying. :D Try a Watts #1170 mixing valve. :)
plumb-r

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 Energy Master I Stoker

PostBy: urdahere On: Sat May 03, 2014 6:41 am

I had the same problem. Cold well water caused the toilet tank to sweat and on hot humid summer days the bathroom floor was a pond.

Here is your answer. I bought two of these toilets, one for home and one for the lake. Excellent product and have had zero issues since. Check out this site for information. http://www.niagaracorp.com/water_conser ... bject=5277
I purchased mine from HEPS in Cortland, NY.

Joe
urdahere

Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat May 03, 2014 7:47 am

Oh.. wow... huh... and here I thought the warm water in the toilet was for us few gents that are well endowed.. geez thought wrong on that... dam.. :lol:
Lightning

Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

PostBy: whistlenut On: Sat May 03, 2014 8:55 am

Actually Lightning, that is a side benefit for those with more 'draggin' than most have 'hangin', however the sweating is a huge issue and it is only blended water, so no 130 degree water down the drain. Many folks have bidets in the bathroom now, so for obvious reasons, warm water is THE only option. If you have hard water where you live, made sure the mixing valve is accessible for cleaning or easy replacement. isolation valves......unions.....easy draining.

If any of you have had to replace the substructure of a rotted out floor in a bathroom, there would be NO bitching about warm water costs. I see every pipe in the basement insulated in many homes, but if you have a boiler running in the basement year round, that is not a problem for those folks. The cool damp basement is a magnet for additional issues like mold, so relax and load that hopper for the summer also. We didn't mention ventilation either, and air circulation or dehumidification is a huge stress reliever. :idea:

Oh, I also like the new rapid flush toilets; less water, great elimination of 'solids' and rapid refills. Look them over and consider re-placement of your older 3.5 to 5 gallon units. ALWAYS check for leaks on the rubber stoppers, flappers, etc. If you are on a septic, you could be saving years and thousands simply by keeping an eye on drips. Food coloring in the tank, let it sit, and if you see any color hours later, you know where to start the repairs..
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Lightning wrote:Oh.. wow... huh... and here I thought the warm water in the toilet was for us few gents that are well endowed.. geez thought wrong on that... dam.. :lol:

Here is another trick a man can do besides plumbing the flush for hot water...

Being a welder, I am one of those guys that wash his hands BEFORE and then AFTER using the aforementioned flush, so when I do, I spalsh a little hand washing water on the toes of my boots so the lady folk think I might have a little extra. :idea:
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: Rich W. On: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:25 pm

I had a hot water mixing valve to my toilets for the above reasons (leftover from the 50's), but...the toilet was so far from the hot water tank you'd have to flush continuously to get it to the tank before it cooled down. With infrequent flushes all it was doing was heating the pipe on the way to the toilet! Recent renovation ended that foolishness. Also, the house now has a/c, so any sweating dries quickly into the dry air.
Rich W.

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner