Is there any reason to have hot water going to toilets?

Re: Is there any reason to have hot water going to toilets?

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Well said NS.

To the government: Stay the F out of my house!! :mad3:
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: warminmn On: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:43 pm

I bought a new toilet this summer that uses 1.25 gallons per flush or 1.6, depending on how long I hold the handle down. The new toilets are rated as to how good they flush and the higher the rating the better they flush. Mine was about $150 new and had a higher rating and it will flush "almost" anything on the 1.6 gallons.

When they first made those rules years ago the toilets made were real junk and wouldnt flush crap, literally. You had to use a pail of water to flush them. real junk

I dont think you can buy the high volume toilets anymore or at least I didnt see any. Yep, regulations
warminmn

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Surdiac Nestor Martin
Coal Size/Type: nut ant
Other Heating: wood

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 am

warminmn wrote:I bought a new toilet this summer that uses 1.25 gallons per flush or 1.6, depending on how long I hold the handle down. The new toilets are rated as to how good they flush and the higher the rating the better they flush. Mine was about $150 new and had a higher rating and it will flush "almost" anything on the 1.6 gallons.

When they first made those rules years ago the toilets made were real junk and wouldnt flush crap, literally. You had to use a pail of water to flush them. real junk

I dont think you can buy the high volume toilets anymore or at least I didnt see any. Yep, regulations

As long as they work but there is other problems, you need X amount of water to insure the waste is actually making it's way through the system.

San Francisco's big push for low-flow toilets has turned into a multimillion-dollar plumbing stink.

Skimping on toilet water has resulted in more sludge backing up inside the sewer pipes, said Tyrone Jue, spokesman for the city Public Utilities Commission. That has created a rotten-egg stench near AT&T Park and elsewhere, especially during the dry summer months.

The city has already spent $100 million over the past five years to upgrade its sewer system and sewage plants, in part to combat the odor problem.

Now officials are stocking up on a $14 million, three-year supply of highly concentrated sodium hypochlorite - better known as bleach - to act as an odor eater and to disinfect the city's treated water before it's dumped into the bay. It will also be used to sanitize drinking water.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ro ... z2CASsBfUG
Richard S.

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

PostBy: Joeski On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

So where might this valve be located? Under the floor of the room the toilet is in or the basement so one valve can do all toilets. I have been looking but had no luck so far. I want to temper it down to a reasonable temp since right now it's really almost too hot to even wash my hands with if I was the kind of guy to wash my hands in a toilet. toothy

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Joeski

Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

PostBy: plumb-r On: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:47 pm

If the water is too hot you can kiss your wax bowl ring good bye. Then the toilet will leak on the floor under the toilet where you can't see it causing the floor to rot out. I'm just saying. :D Try a Watts #1170 mixing valve. :)
plumb-r

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 Energy Master I Stoker