Chimney or powerventer question

Chimney or powerventer question

PostBy: vegeta_ban On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:30 am

Hello all, I have a Leisure Line Pocono bottom vent stoker that I am going to install. My question is I have a chimney chase with a 6 in flue for my oil burner and a 8 in flue for my fireplace. The stoker I got came with a power venter. With all the reading I've been doing on here I feel the power venter would be the way to go because the off season months will have the stainless steel in the chimney rotting and needing a liner or replacement pretty quickly. The chimney is about 30 to 40 foot high so that would be a high price tag on even a liner let alone a double wall pipe system. At some point in the future I may have a masonay chimney built if I know we are not going to have to move. There is a chance next December my job will end. Here are some photo's.

Thank you.

Full view of chimney.
Close up view of the top part of chimney.
vegeta_ban

Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono bottom vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice is so nice
Other Heating: Oil, yuk on the price

Re: Chimney or powerventer question

PostBy: Freddy On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 pm

I think you answered your own question.... In your circumstance I'd lean toward using the power venter.
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

PostBy: vegeta_ban On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Freddy wrote:I think you answered your own question.... In your circumstance I'd lean toward using the power venter.

Thank you Freddy. Do you have any hints on a way to drill the hole for the power venter through a cinder block basement wall?
vegeta_ban

PostBy: baddawg On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:51 pm

They make a core drill for concrete, most construction rental companies carry them. Most likely going to run around $150 to rent the drill and the bit, but you will get a perfect round hole. Some labor involved, the drills are heavy and have to be mounted to the block, most are wet bits so you will need water. If you can go from the outside in it won't make much of a mess. They do make handheld core drills, but unless you have BIG arms, you might not want to try it with a 6 or 7 inch bit.
baddawg

Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer BV

PostBy: Wiz On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Use a hammer drill. Make a pattern on your block and drill holes 1/4 apart. Then knock it out, I did this and work good.
Wiz

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

PostBy: Berlin On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:11 am

I would 1st choice: build a masonry stack, second choice run the oil furnace and stoker together in the stainless stack, and third choice use the powerventer.

If that furnace stack dead-heads make ABSOLUTELY sure that if you use it with coal you have the abiltiy to clean it out regularly and easily.
Berlin

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

PostBy: vegeta_ban On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Is it doable to board up a basement window on both the inside and outside and then cut the hole for the power vent to be placed in? This way there is even less damage to the house in case it has to be sold.

How hot does the outer pipe of the power vent get?

Just an idea I came up with from a post or two I seen on here about venting through a sealed off basement window.

Thank you all once more.
vegeta_ban