Outdoor/Underground installation possible for AA 130m?

Re: Outdoor/Underground installation possible for AA 130m?

PostBy: leward On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Hello: I have a setup that is sweeet, and along your lines My efm is in my outbuilding garage in the basement. I built the garage on purpose this way, with a basement, and cast a manhole frame into the concrete floor. Truck dumps my coal ontop the first floor, through the manhole and into the basement to a block bin I built, and have the coal augered into the boiler. All of the mess is out in the garage, and I basically never touch the coal.
Chute it in, take tubs of ashes out. Now....If I could figure a way to auger out the ashes.
leward

Stove/Furnace Make: EFM 520
Stove/Furnace Model: 1

PostBy: Townsend On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Your setup sounds awesome!
Townsend

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Buck

PostBy: leward On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Well I just decided to get lazy in my old age and for once thought this out before I acted...
leward

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: NJJoe On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:38 pm

leward wrote:Hello: I have a setup that is sweeet, and along your lines My efm is in my outbuilding garage in the basement. I built the garage on purpose this way, with a basement, and cast a manhole frame into the concrete floor. Truck dumps my coal ontop the first floor, through the manhole and into the basement to a block bin I built, and have the coal augered into the boiler. All of the mess is out in the garage, and I basically never touch the coal.
Chute it in, take tubs of ashes out. Now....If I could figure a way to auger out the ashes.

Pics?
NJJoe

PostBy: leward On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:49 pm

I can take pic's of anything? Can't see the coal bin, it's full - about 9 tns of coal, pic's of auger going through the wall?
I do have a screen insert - about 1" sq. that I run the coal through -- don't want to have to MT a coal bin.
Anybody have any gizmo's to auger out ashes?
leward

PostBy: Sting On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 pm

So ---you have a screen shielding the auger pick up point and under that 9 ton of coal :shock:

you may as well start shoveling now -

the screen will either bridge the fuel above or plug
Sting

Other Heating: BurnHAM=NG-gas

PostBy: leward On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 pm

No. I put a screen insert in the manhole frame, and all of the coal must go thru that before it gets in the bin. Only one stone this year, but it was about 1.75" and would have plugged the auger sure as shoot. I remove this screen and put the lid back on once all the coal gets in.
leward

PostBy: McGiever On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:02 pm

leward wrote: Now....If I could figure a way to auger out the ashes.

I would think an adaptation of this could do the job>>>Flex Auger
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: Sting On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:03 pm

holy jump to conclusions --- ME BAD :D
Sting

Other Heating: BurnHAM=NG-gas

PostBy: CoaledWinter On: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 am

leward wrote:Hello: I have a setup that is sweeet, and along your lines My efm is in my outbuilding garage in the basement. I built the garage on purpose this way, with a basement, and cast a manhole frame into the concrete floor. Truck dumps my coal ontop the first floor, through the manhole and into the basement to a block bin I built, and have the coal augered into the boiler. All of the mess is out in the garage, and I basically never touch the coal.

That sounds excellent! Exactly what I'd want to do.
CoaledWinter

Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130M

PostBy: leward On: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Only part of this that I screwed up on, -- I used 1.5" copper to go from the house to garage ~ about 120lf. I burried the copper in 4" plastic pie w/o insulation. Wish I would have insulated, but this was costing a small fortune as it was. When I did it I was using a hand fired soft coal boiler, and really didn't care if it was the most efficient.
At any rate, that could have been better. But don't have your fingers on the copper in the house when the call for heat comes on, or your fingers will get scorched- so ? how inefficient is it? Once the pipe and the ground gets warmed, I don't think I loose much.
leward

Visit Lehigh Anthracite