How well does the Alaska Kodiak run on pea?

How well does the Alaska Kodiak run on pea?

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Since my AHS S130 Coal Gun burns pea, and I've been thinking on and off of getting a hand fired stove for heat in the event of a power outage, I'm wondering if the Alaska Kodiak (for which the Alaska website says it runs on pea or nut) would heat my home n the depths of winter if fed only pea, or if it would not cut the mustard sans for early or late in the heating season with exclusively pea?

Same question for the DS-1500 or DS-1600.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: How well does the Alaska Kodiak run on pea?

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm

the kodiak runs great on nut! in the throws of deep cold it puts out the heat. I found pea isnt large enough for me to ask for the output i need. its ok for fall and spring but not worth it for me to stock as we need the nut for maximum output 8-)
Poconoeagle

Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

PostBy: McGiever On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:41 pm

SAEY makes pea burning stoves requiring no electricity in a 50,000 and 60,000 btu/hr rating. :)

http://www.bierlygroup.com/saey/index.htm

Similar to Saey are the Nestor/Martin Efel. Look on Craigslist for used. ;)
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Poconoeagle and McGiever! I was hoping for the convenience of a hopper feed, but the SAEY Hannover 1 does look quite nice. Any idea what the Hannover I costs?

Correction, I see that the Saey's are indeed hopper fed stoves. Now I'm excited! Are they designed specifically for pea only use? The Saey's could be my perfect solution. Anyone with one of these who can comment on their quality and function?
lsayre

PostBy: McGiever On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 pm

lsayre wrote:Thanks Poconoeagle and McGiever! I was hoping for the convenience of a hopper feed, but the SAEY Hannover 1 does look quite nice. Any idea what the Hannover I costs?

Correction, I see that the Saey's are indeed hopper fed stoves. Now I'm excited! Are they designed specifically for pea only use? The Saey's could be my perfect solution. Anyone with one of these who can comment on their quality and function?

You can *Search* old threads here.;)

Some makes/models you remove the coal hopper and can then burn wood.

And yes, only burn pea size coal.

A used Efel up Buffalo, NY way for $300.00
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15 pm

I have to admit, the Hannover looks like a good stove based on what I read. And at 450 lbs of cast-iron, it should radiate nicely!
EarthWindandFire

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer model 75.
Other Heating: Oil and Natural Gas.

PostBy: Dennis On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:28 pm

lsayre wrote:Since my AHS S130 Coal Gun burns pea, and I've been thinking on and off of getting a hand fired stove for heat in the event of a power outage, I'm wondering if the Alaska Kodiak (for which the Alaska website says it runs on pea or nut) would heat my home n the depths of winter if fed only pea, or if it would not cut the mustard sans for early or late in the heating season with exclusively pea?

Larry,why not just get a generator for when you loose elec.,the hand fed stove will be of no use during the summer while your sweating your ass off looking at the stove.Besides the cost of the generator will be a better use of money through out the entire year.
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Dennis wrote:
lsayre wrote:Since my AHS S130 Coal Gun burns pea, and I've been thinking on and off of getting a hand fired stove for heat in the event of a power outage, I'm wondering if the Alaska Kodiak (for which the Alaska website says it runs on pea or nut) would heat my home n the depths of winter if fed only pea, or if it would not cut the mustard sans for early or late in the heating season with exclusively pea?

Larry,why not just get a generator for when you loose elec.,the hand fed stove will be of no use during the summer while your sweating your ass off looking at the stove.Besides the cost of the generator will be a better use of money through out the entire year.

Don't break my bubble. I'm in a coal burning state of mind. :)
lsayre

PostBy: echos67 On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:14 pm

lsayre wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Don't break my bubble. I'm in a coal burning state of mind. :)

:D
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 am

If you don't need the full output of the stove, pea might be fine for your needs.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Muss44 On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:27 am

I have a Hannover I for two seasons and I am really happy with it. Pea works fine, but I found that I can run Nut coal in it and just really cut it back when it gets warmer outside. Then when you need the extra heat you don't have to change anything. I also burn a lot of wood in the fall and spring because I have two little ones in the house. It is nice to light a small fire at night and throw a couple pieces of firewood in the log door on the side and let it take the chill off. If you have any questions about it, you can always pm me.
Muss44

Stove/Furnace Make: Saey
Stove/Furnace Model: Hannover I

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 am

I run pea through my DS-1600 in the fall and spring. Works very well, keeps my stove full too. I run nut in the colder months for the heat output.
I'm On Fire

Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Visit Hitzer Stoves