Yet another ash related question

Forum rules
ATTN Coal Dealers: To advertise your company you're allowed to start one new topic in "Coal Prices, Coal Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries and Reviews". You may also respond to other topics started by others where your company has been mentioned and are encouraged to do so. Any other posts just for advertising here or anywhere else on nepacrossroads.com will be considered spam and removed. Repeated violations will result in a permanent ban.

Re: Yet another ash related question

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm

mattcoalburner wrote:
Rob R. wrote:Right off their website:

The coal is mined from the Mammoth, Forty-Foot, Primrose and Orchard seams on the approximately 8,000-acre Lehigh Anthracite mine

I understand this Rob, they are all seams within the Mammoth vein I live very close, buy about 900 tons of their coal a year.

Yes, I see that the veins are very close in proximity. I think they also join in some areas? Regardless, I think you would agree that depending where you are mining, the coal from each respective seam can have different characteristics.

lsayre wrote:Not having grown up around coal, what is bank coal?

"Bank coal" usually refers to coal that was previously mined and discarded (often left in huge piles, or 'banks') because the size was not in demand, or because the quality was not what they were looking for. For a long time, hand-fired equipment was the only game in town...so rice & buckwheat had no market. I am surprised that there is even much of it still around, considering the co-gen plants that burn it and the market for the smaller sizes.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:34 pm

Bank coal is just what it says, It is coal that was considered scrap years ago and dumped on the side of a bank or hill. Years ago the smaller coal (rice and barley) and some of the larger junk coal were placed on the bank beacause they were not premium coal. Rice was not used in the railroad or steel industy, it wasnt even used in home heatng until many years later when boiler manufacturers decided to develop a use for it. So it sat on the banks sometimes at deserted mine pits, and old wash yards. It is now being blended with fresly mined coal. Same hold true with silt, no use for it until congeneration was developed. I hope this helps.
mattcoalburner

Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Yes it does help, and I thank you both for explaining it.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 pm

I understand this Rob, they are all seams within the Mammoth vein I live very close, buy about 900 tons of their coal a year.[/quote]

Yes, I see that the veins are very close in proximity. I think they also join in some areas? Regardless, I think you would agree that depending where you are mining, the coal from each respective seam can have different characteristics.

The seams are close in proximity, the vein is one. he vein is attached for mile, Some of Reading, Blashak, and other mines are also from within the same Mammoth vein. Your seeing breaks in the seams that they are mining. But yes the characteristics differ in different parts of the vein due to amount of coal, depth of the coal in the particular area, and ther things. If your ever in the area Rob you should visit the number 9 mining museum its fantastic! It will show you the difference in veins and seams, and just how large the Mammoth vein is, and why Lehigh has some of the best coal in the industy
mattcoalburner

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 pm

mattcoalburner wrote: If your ever in the area Rob you should visit the number 9 mining museum its fantastic! It will show you the difference in veins and seams, and just how large the Mammoth vein is, and why Lehigh has some of the best coal in the industy

I came through a few years ago, but it was a weekday and No. 9 was closed...so I went to the Pioneer Mine & Museum instead. They have a nice operation, but I look forward to going through the No. 9 sometime. I have a standing offer from one of the volunteers there to take me through...just need to make the journey South.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 pm

They are both cool in their own way, but I think the No. 9 shows a little more of the history of mining, and how dangerous it could be!
mattcoalburner

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 am

lsayre wrote:Continuing my coal education: My first assumption (OK, guess) is that it would seem that the lower the ash content by weight and volume the better the anthracite, but is this actually consistently (or ever) the case, or is there any sound reason why anthracite coal with more ash might out-perform anthracite with less ash?

yes there can be a sound reason for that, If a company puts no shale in their coal it will burn to a powdery ash and the ash will be light. If a coal puts a little bit of shale in the coal it bill allow the coal to breath better,, producing a hotter flame, and the shale will hold the heat much like lava rock in a gass grill, BUT the ash will have a little more weight due to the shale.
mattcoalburner

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:13 pm

mattcoalburner wrote:yes there can be a sound reason for that, If a company puts no shale in their coal it will burn to a powdery ash and the ash will be light. If a coal puts a little bit of shale in the coal it bill allow the coal to breath better,, producing a hotter flame, and the shale will hold the heat much like lava rock in a gas grill, BUT the ash will have a little more weight due to the shale.

Interesting indeed. Thanks!!!
lsayre

PostBy: buffalo bob On: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 pm

i know that u have to buy 20 tons minimum of lehigh but how much is it per ton???anybody know
buffalo bob

Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I recall someone mentioning a few months back that it was $150/ton. It may not still be at that price though.
lsayre

PostBy: buffalo bob On: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:16 pm

lsayre wrote:I recall someone mentioning a few months back that it was $150/ton. It may not still be at that price though.

thanks that seems to be the going price...wish i had a tri/axel...
buffalo bob

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm

buffalo bob wrote:
lsayre wrote:I recall someone mentioning a few months back that it was $150/ton. It may not still be at that price though.

thanks that seems to be the going price...wish i had a tri/axel...

You and me both!
lsayre

PostBy: mattcoalburner On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:12 pm

I can usually get the coal trucked to you for a fair price if you give me your addresses ill let you know
mattcoalburner

PostBy: buffalo bob On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:27 pm

mattcoalburner wrote:I can usually get the coal trucked to you for a fair price if you give me your addresses ill let you know

buffalo mills pa. 15534 ... bout 15 miles below/southwest of BEDFORD PA...about 100 miles west of harrisburg on the turnpike ...then 15 miles southwest...
buffalo bob

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:57 pm

Doesn't Jeddo advertise on their website that they mine the Mammoth vein also?
Scottscoaled

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

Visit Lehigh Anthracite