Looking at a couple of stoves.

Looking at a couple of stoves.

PostBy: hman On: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 am

I was wondering if anyone has any info on a couple of stoves I've been looking at?
One of the stoves is an Oakdale 12.On the front of the feed door it has Line Oak Crawford.Oakdale is on the inside of the feed door.It has shaker grate for coal and is a direct vent.It has a liner around firepot but can't tell if it's refractory.
At the top of the firepot,it has raised places made in the cylinder in they have two holes in them.Half of the holes face toward the left,the others face toward the right.Is this for secondary burn? The overall size of the stove is 20x20x55.
They also have a Oakdale 14.

The next one is a Kineo Oak #18.This is also setup for coal ,direct vent.Has a shaker great.Firepot is lined but can't tell if it is refractory.This stove has no nickel on it all black.Does have 4 windows in a circle around the over fire air knob on the feed door.

I burn bit coal would either of these two stoves be good for that.Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
hman

Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S.Machine 1400
Coal Size/Type: Lump/Bituminous
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S.Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: # 3 circulator stove

Re: Looking at a couple of stoves.

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Either stove would be fine for bituminous coal. Show us some pictures if you can.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: hman On: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Here is a couple of pictures of the Oakdale coal stove.
Attachments
Attachments_2012_11_11.zip
(282.08 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Select:BBcode: [nepafile=37787]Attachments_2012_11_11.zip[/nepafile]
hman

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: wsherrick On: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:12 am

That is a really wild looking stove. I believe the three holes in the loading door is where you mount the nickle plated name plate which goes over the draft holes. It is missing its swingtop and finial. In the foreground there I see a Glenwood Oak. That would be an excellent choice for you.
wsherrick

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

PostBy: hman On: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 am

William,
They have the other parts for the stove.The are getting them replated.
Did you notice the raised places around the top of the fire pot with the holes in them facing different directions?Makes you think air comes in their and causes a vortex.That would help burn the hydrocarbons off that is coming from the coal.Just a thought.
They also have an Oakdale 14 and they do have a Glenwood Oak.
I'm going to call them on the Glenwood Oak for some pictures.I'll let you know.
hman

PostBy: grizzly2 On: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 pm

OOOOOO....AAAAH. What beautiful stoves. If anything could get me to part with my Hitzer it would be one of these grand old stove :drool:
grizzly2

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 - 95
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut/ anthracite
Other Heating: Jotul #3 wood stove in garage. Oil backup in house. Electric backup in house.

PostBy: Smoker858 On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:52 pm

WOW Now thats a beauty
Smoker858

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:04 pm

By the looks of those pix the fire pot does not look lined with refractory. That stove would be a fine candidate for bit coal though as it has allot of secondary air.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: hman On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 pm

That's what I thought.It's doesn't looked lined with refractory.They said It was setup to burn coal.
What you think about the high places around the top of the fire pot? Look's like their are 2 holes in each of the raised places.
hman

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:00 pm

I agree that those holes look like heated secondary air for burning the volitiles.. Do you have access to the stove to look it over?
There should be a control for the air that feeds the ring of holes.

HotBlast stoves have an air control for their heated secondary air.

Greg L
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: hman On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:10 pm

No I don't.It's at a dealer.
hman

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 am

I would guess that Greg is correct and those are secondary heated air vents. That stove would burn bit coal quite well I would say. Kentucky lump would be the fuel of choice. I would still line the pot with some refractory though if you go with that Crawford.
SteveZee

PostBy: hman On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Greg,I went and looked at the other pictures of the stove,and their was no type of air control for secondary combustion that I could see from those other pictures.If I get a chance,I'll give the dealer a call and find out more info on that stove.They also have that same stove in a 14.But I don't know if it has those same raised places as the 12.

Steve,I agree that would be a good bit coal stove,if those raised place are secondary combustion.That was also my thought on putting refractory in the fire pot.

I wonder if the #12 or the #14 would be big enough to heat 1400 square foot house?
hman

PostBy: SteveZee On: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:45 am

hman wrote:Greg,I went and looked at the other pictures of the stove,and their was no type of air control for secondary combustion that I could see from those other pictures.If I get a chance,I'll give the dealer a call and find out more info on that stove.They also have that same stove in a 14.But I don't know if it has those same raised places as the 12.

Steve,I agree that would be a good bit coal stove,if those raised place are secondary combustion.That was also my thought on putting refractory in the fire pot.

I wonder if the #12 or the #14 would be big enough to heat 1400 square foot house?

Yeah I would say that they would heat that space quite nicely. If those are the fire pot sizes that is. My Glenwood Modern Oak 116 (16" pot) heats my 2500sq well until it gets down to the teens where I add the cookstove in. It's more about the layout of house than ability of the stove too. Measure the pot size and take off an inch if you line it.

The control for secondary cumbustion would be the loading door vents which the stove seems to have plenty of. The other is automatic I believe when the stove heats it adds that hot air through those small vents.
SteveZee

PostBy: hman On: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Steve,
The dealer has a Modern Glenwood 114&116.They are both direct draft stoves.They have no refractory lining in those stoves either,that I can tell.
Would the Oakdale be a better bit burner than the Glenwood,because of the raised secondary combustion places around the fire pot? I'm not putting down the Glenwood.

You guy's here on the forum that have these older beauties,are the reason that I'm looking at them.Older is better.
I wish we could make things like this in this country again.This was fine craftsmanship at it's best.
hman

Visit Hitzer Stoves