Coffee 11-10-12

Re: Coffee 11-10-12

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 pm

My ol' man just had that cataract surgery recently, months after having surgery for a partially detached retina. Takes a bit for the vision to come back. Said his vision was getting better a couple weeks after the surgery. Time's a healer as they say. Glad your still SEEING - it could always be worse! ;)

Yeah this year has been total *censored* for anything mechanical. I can't seem to win with ANYTHING! Every job I had this year was a nightmare. My brother's bike, buddy's Trooper, my other buddy's bike, the Focus .... which is back here again, btw .... :shock: ... and then the Blazer! CAN'T WIN!

Goin' to bed early tonight. Tomorrow's another day. :|
SMITTY

Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

PostBy: Dann757 On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Fred, hope you get better soon. I know you have big courage.
Smitty, quit bustin' your own balls, that's our job. I know how it is, I got that lady's roof leaking and I can't find the problem so far. I was all in a huff and wanted to just refund the lady for that work and tell her to get a roofer hahahhaha. I gotta get in her attic and look for the leak.
I'm trying to do some tree work for a guy, too much. Rocky, hilly back yard, big ass trees folded over with root balls sticking up. I'm tired from slinging chainsaws but I better man up..
There was a big poplar down in front of the place here, first thing we got out of the road day after the storm. It popped its root ball 6' up in the air. More like a root pancake. I cut through the stem yesterday and the whole rocky root mass fell back a good ways back into the hole. Made me happy, it was blocking the road view around the corner. They got a lot where an old geodesic dome church used to be in town, using as a staging area for dump truck fulls of tree pieces. Tree crews all over the place still.
Dann757

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Yeah roof leaks can be a pain in the ass! I'm now an expert on that having dealt with my barn roof for over 4 years. :lol: Water is like electricity - follows the path of least resistance ... but lots of things hidden underneath will direct the water in places you;d never expect! Found that out after stripping my roof. Some plywood was raised 1/8" .. but was enough to skirt the water 3' to the left ... because the roof sagged that direction. Got to the point where I just couldn't patch it anymore - there were too many holes and cracks - it was impossible.

I just need a good nights sleep. I get cranky & whiny when I don't get a solid 8 hours or more. :lol: I get a break while I wait for parts, so maybe I'll actually get the job I'm SUPPOSED to be doing done .... :roll:
SMITTY

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Gee...I thought I had problems! toothy
Wood'nCoal

Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

PostBy: Dann757 On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 am

I have to go see the woman today, ( "One Adam Twelve, One Adam Twelve, see the woman at 10 Leaky Roof Street....botched roof repair in progress...)

SMITTY wrote:I just need a good nights sleep. I get cranky & whiny when I don't get a solid 8 hours or more.

I get cranky and whiny when I DO get a good night's sleep, when I don't get a good night's sleep, when the sun comes up, when the sun goes down,....

When I was young and worked hard, I got in shape; now I just get sore and tired hahahhahahahah

But seriously folks, I do have to watch when I'm tired and that's a lot lately. I try to tell myself "you're just tired, it's not the fact that people are selfish imbeciles"
Dann757

Re: Coffee 11-10-12 (17)

PostBy: Smoker858 On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:10 pm

oh boy what a nice weekend coming up. No daughters house rebuild work as she is waiting on Union Beach, NJ code inspection following our demo work.

No cars to fix, no wood to haul or split. No tough jobs. Good weekend to finally be home, do a few odd jobs and tell the wife how good she is doing with the Hitzer.
Smoker858

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

PostBy: SMITTY On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Must be nice! :P :)

Finally got the welder wiring up and running. Also managed to get my "BUZZ BULB power restoration alert" system wired up and working without lighting myself up. :dancing: Productive day for a change. I put on some dish gloves and rubber-dipped gloves over that in case I slipped .. which I've been known to do ....

But today was not without SOMETHING going wrong. As soon as I finished installing the outlet, I go to plug the welder extension cord in, and of course, the wire comes out the same end the lid flips up! Won't fit! I couldn't have checked that first, right? So .... of course I got rough with it and broke the lid off. But I SMITTYTIZED that as well with zip ties. :D

The video of the Buzz Bulb cut off right before the test ... because I forgot to install the bulb BEFORE filming. I'll do a demo on my thread about that here: Attn: Engineers- Best way to create 120v alarm for outages?

Installation of my patented system is not recommended for any SANE homeowners ... :junmp:
Attachments
Welder outlet,  outdoor outlet, outside.jpg
(45.09 KiB) Not viewed yet
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]37890[/nepathumb]
Welder outlet,  outdoor outlet, outside (2).jpg
(55.1 KiB) Viewed 1 time
[nepathumb]37891[/nepathumb]
Welder outlet,  outdoor outlet, outside, plug.jpg
(32.95 KiB) Viewed 5 times
[nepathumb]37892[/nepathumb]
Welder outlet,  outdoor outlet, outside, broken cover .jpg
(40.93 KiB) Viewed 5 times
[nepathumb]37893[/nepathumb]
Buzz bulb, wired up, main panel.wmv
(1.04 MiB) Viewed 7 times
Select:BBcode:
[nepafile=37896]Buzz bulb, wired up, main panel.wmv[/nepafile]
SMITTY