Coffee 11-17-12

Coffee 11-17-12

PostBy: Freddy On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 am

Gad zooks, I dropped the coffee pot! I was just about to post & somehow lost all I typed.... duh! Perhaps that'll be the worst thing that happens all day.

Welcome newcomers! Always happy to serve up a new cup of coffee. Join in, speak your piece.

Coffee today is a Swedish brew called Gevalia. Some fancy stuff the Uncle Billy brought with him. It's ground finer that coal dust but smells good & tastes better. Step right up & have a cup. I'm thinking French toast for breakfast. Maybe a banana on the side.

I hope the people hit hard by Sandy are doing better. I'm sure for some it will still be a long time, but I think most all have their power back now.

Headed to "the farm" today to look at a job. My sister in law's inlaws have a real farm. They make a living mostly with beef, but have some pigs & like any farm it seems, a small assortment of other things with four legs. Bring your boots!

Hope you all have a productive weekend.
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Coffee 11-17-12

PostBy: LsFarm On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:10 am

Have fun at the farm Freddie, don't get 'roped' into some job you don't want to do !!

French toast sounds good.. I had a grilled cinnamon roll the other day, man was that tasty !!

We have 'frost fog' this morning,, it was foggy, so everything got damp, then it froze,, there is ice fog in the air, and everything
is frosted, the fence wires are about 3/8" diameter with the frost.

At the airline, which is based in JFK, we have around 150 people who either completely lost their house, or part of the structure or
sustaineds significant water damage.. one Pilot I know has THREE families camped out in his house!! Helping those who are without.

It's gonna take some time,, we can hope and pray that the winter weather is mild so the repairs can move along.

Take care everyone
have a nice weekend

Greg L
LsFarm

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:26 am

hej. all, oh crap, I'm speaking swedish--nice breakfast choice Freddy :) Thoughts & prayers to all still regrouping from SANDY. One eye is less cloudy today. Not much going on this week end outside it seems, I'd bet something will come up though. Have a good week end all. Let it be known that pigs are some of the cleanest animals you can raise---and then EAT :D
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 am

Good morning all,

Up and out early this morning - I heading to the U-haul place to pick up a trailer and then it's off to get a pallet of coal. I check out the company's web page and low and behold there was a coupon for $10 off the entire order. Not much when held against the $400 I'm spending but it's something in the new normal. It is helping to offset the cost of the trailer. Actually, I've been checking a lot of the places we visit for coupons and I'm finding a lot more. I found one for $7 off the meal at Macaroni Grill last week. Again, it helps.

After I get back with the coal, I'm raking leaves again, hopefully for the last time this year. We fell below 32* overnight so I guess I'm safe in saying winter is here and it's not going away any time soon. The bees are maintaining a internal hive temperature of 55 or 60*. As long as that holds true, I know they are ok but the hive sure looks vacant.

Hey Fred, I agree, there's nothing better then pig. My dad always said you could use "everything but the squeal." My thoughts and prays go out to Sandy and those in need this winter, check your neighbors often, you never know how you can help. Take care, Lisa
lowfog01

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I

PostBy: Smoker858 On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 am

Good morning all. Brewed up a vacuum pot o'Joe and ready to go. Today is just a simple around the homestead pick and choose jobs. Will fire up the smoker later and do up a couple of slabs of baby back ribs. No Sandy word this weekend as we await the code inspector followining the demo. I guess we need paper work to insulate and sheetrock. Have a great day all. JohnF
Smoker858

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:39 am

Good morning everyone. Looks like it will be a very nice day. Clear skies and not too cold.

I just got back from tending the Hitzer at my brother's house. That thing was still cruising at 550 and only burned about 20 lbs since 6 pm yesterday.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: lsayre On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 am

27 degrees and seriously frosty but clear here this morning. Looks like were in for a sunny day. The bacon is frying and there are soon to be over easy eggs in my future. Also just started baking a loaf of spelt bread in the bread machine.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

PostBy: blusmoke On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:04 am

Mornin all! Just getting the clicking out of the bones this am. Frosty here at 18 but gonna be a nice day. Getting ready for Buck season Monday, got to do a little shooting. Back to the chainsaw, and hopefully a little bbq later.
Sure is nice to have power again, 1 whole week with it, woo hoo.
Prayers go out to all of those still fighting it. Hope ya'll have a great weekend, stay safe.
blusmoke

Stove/Furnace Make: Workin on it.............

PostBy: Keepaeyeonit On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:17 am

Good morning Freddy,Greg,Fred,Lisa,John,Rob,Larry and everyone else that shows,coffee is excellent today and the food is very good,busy day today I have to go to my wood burning brother in laws to reseal his stove(my old stove)and unload his wood off of the truck he got before he fell off a ladder last Sunday and broke his lower leg in two places 1st surgery was Monday for pins and plates and the next one will be on the 28th for more of the same they say he may be out of work for at least 2 months or more and take 9 to fully heal but as we all know it will never be the same!Take care guys(and gals) Keepaeyeonit :)
Keepaeyeonit

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 insert
Coal Size/Type: Mammoth nut
Other Heating: oil furnace,and a crappy heat pump

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:22 am

As we say in NJ, How ya doin? Missed a lot of great pictures right after the storm. I've been doing some tree cleanup for a local homeowner. I'm simply too old to be a tree work laborer but got quite a lot done for the guy. He got lucky too, trees down all over his property but the house escaped untouched.
Actually it's no problem with the time it took to restore our power here considering the extent of the devastation. I can't believe how addicted to the internet people are. I was just getting used to being without it and the idiot box.
I recall looking at my manometer during the storm, by candlelight, and it pulled .35 at one point, don't think that was the max either. The baro was whistling.

Things are returning to normal, there's a staging area in town, a vacant lot, where they are bringing tree pieces up to 5" diameter and 6' long as a service to the residents. Customers are starting to annoy me again so I guess that's another sign of normalcy :?

A portable generator is a box of gasoline mounted over a shaking machine that is extremely hot with a sparking spark plug, and that puts out 110/240 volts and deadly CO. And they're available to the average putz homeowner. hahahahhaha The one guy had his generator in a Rubbermaid plastic garbage can shed, the one with the lifting lid and the doors that outswing. The door blew shut and the exhaust punched a hole right through it, melted :lol:
Attachments
Picture 012.jpg
(181.44 KiB) Viewed 19 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]37912[/nepathumb]
Picture 017.jpg
(196.78 KiB) Viewed 12 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]37913[/nepathumb]
Dann757

PostBy: KLook On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 am

Morning all, 34 and chilly here, going golfing later on as my shoulder has healed up. Passed on the chance to go to Hilton Head for weekend with bro-in-law. :( Visit with an Orthopedic doctor on Mon. to discuss finding arthritis. Whoda thunkit! :shock: More interested in figuring out what aggravated it.
Continuing to study for insurance exam and going to work for a contractor next week. Very excited about that prospect as he seems excited to find someone with my experience and a trailer full of tools. He is the only one that seems to have figured out that you don't buy thousands of dollars in tools, and a trailer to haul/store them in if you can't use them. Helps that he used to teach school in northern mass, errrr, I mean southern maine! :oops: He knows how people work up there and the quality of the work as it relates to here. Enjoy the weekend, I am a little homesick this week as my son got the Harman up and running and my pals are at our hunting camp for the week. :( They have to call and send pictures to rub it in.

Kevin
KLook

Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

PostBy: NWBuilder On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:18 am

Mornin Everyone, Breakfast sounds Great Freddie but hold the banana, I'm allergic!! It is quiet here today as my kitchen renovation has come to a halt until my plumber shows up. Very close though. A buddy of mine went down to NJ to help out a friend of his, he brought back pictures. It is heart wrenching to see what so many folks have to deal with. They are in our prayers and will remain there for quite some time I fear. Still waiting on my coal delivery, my Father in law ordered it 2 months ago, they thought that it had been delivered already! Running on oil as I ran out of the black rocks on Wednesday. I could find some local but the price is outrageous! Twice what I am paying for the coal that isn't here yet, hehehe! Well, be safe everyone and enjoy the weekend.
NWBuilder

Stoker Coal Boiler: Ahs 130
Coal Size/Type: Burning Pea anthracite

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 am

Morning folks, Awesome day up here in Maine Kev! Brisk (about 30 degrees) but clear as a bell and excellent hunting/tipping or just outdoor hiking weather. Got to tell you all, I was out of town the last week down in western Mass and Portland, Me for the last 4 days with Kim before her flight to the UK house. We ate at allot of great restaurants and generally whooped it up all week long. At my brothers in the Berks of Mass they had a big Sat night party last week with all of out old pals. What a great time that was. Glad to be home though, both stoves going and the furnce back in rest mode. :D Too much real good food last week :oops: Need to get some excersize and work some of this off! Have a great weekend everyone.
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks for the pictures Dan, sometimes I forget how bad you guys had it down there. I do not have TV so I haven't seen many pictures from down there and the carnage that occurred. I am sorry for your losses...

As for me, I have been in a holding pattern career wise for a few months, but am hoping after this "fiscal cliff" as they call it, is over, me, and the thousand or so shipbuilders currently on lay off can all get back to work doing what we do best...building some pretty neat US Navy Destroyers. I used my time off wisely though and got a lot done on the farm, but now it is pretty well wrapped up for the growing season so I am ready to go back to work. They say in January perhaps???

We did get to the Baby Doctor's yesterday and our little Bean is doing good inside Mommy. It is growing really good, has a strong heart and we got some great ultrasound pictures of it. It is amazing the detail these modern medical machines can now obtain. You can see its feet, hands and face, so we are excited. With 3 girls (ages 5,6 and 8), we are hoping for a boy! Should be arriving after the heating season...May 30th or so.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: Freddy On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:31 am

Good morning to Sunday. Brrr, this morning is the coldest so far this year.... 15*. All comfy in here though thanks to the Axeman purring away.

So many people make it to this place for coffee. Nice to hear from you all! It seems to ease things when we share frustrations & the happy stories spread smiles like the sun spreads warmth. Forward we go!
Freddy

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined