Christmas...to comercialized or not?

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

• Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Christmas...to comercialized or not?

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:48 pm

It is in my humble opinion
Northern Maine

Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648

Re: Christmas...to comercialized or not?

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Northern Maine wrote:It is in my humble opinion

Way too commercialized almost not even fun. The only reason for me is my 5 yr old still believes in Santa. :D
Flyer5

Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:01 pm

My boys are 12 and 13...they seem to think Santa has a money tree! :mad3:
Northern Maine

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 pm

AND---WHY???? are the kids like that??????? Wait a minute, I still believe in Santa Claus. What the hell's all that about :x
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:39 pm

freetown fred wrote:Wait a minute, I still believe in Santa Claus.

With any luck he will bring you some coal.
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:48 pm

freetown fred wrote:AND---WHY???? are the kids like that??????? Wait a minute, I still believe in Santa Claus. What the hell's all that about :x

Nothing Fred. Nothing to see here just move along. :D I hope Santa doesn't still ask you to sit on his lap? :shock:
Flyer5

PostBy: Davian On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Definitely too commercialized.
Davian

Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:22 pm

It absolutely is....if we allow it to be, we have a 5 yr. old and fortunetly he understands the santa wants us to be with loved ones and also to bring a smile to less fortunate. He is a very understanding little boy we are lucky that he goes along with us on this and I know peer pressure is just around the corner. I feel we do have some control on this holiday, if we stay calm and spread the spirit and not the credit cards we can have an affect on the commercialization.
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: whistlenut On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:47 am

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too greedy merchants. Wrong message.....hell, it starts just after Halloween.........might rival political phone calls in any election year!!

Poor Freetoen...you have to get off the hill more often! No twinkees, what is a man too do?? Kids should have some idea about what the real 'presents' are.....not about the 'bounty' haul in and it's over in 15 minutes.
whistlenut

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:17 am

Yeah, that just totally pisses me off--last night me & momma went into town, Reilly's has a fish fry every fri night--on the way back we noticed that several people have thier Christmas lights up & lit--how can kids get excited & enjoy the magic of the season when it goes on for 2 months + I'm a firm beleiver in the 12 days of Christmas & that's when my decorations go up--tree might not go up till Christmas Eve day. Everything comes down Jan 1
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:55 am

freetown fred wrote:Yeah, that just totally pisses me off--last night me & momma went into town, Reilly's has a fish fry every fri night--on the way back we noticed that several people have thier Christmas lights up & lit--how can kids get excited & enjoy the magic of the season when it goes on for 2 months + I'm a firm beleiver in the 12 days of Christmas & that's when my decorations go up--tree might not go up till Christmas Eve day. Everything comes down Jan 1

That drives my wife up a wall. I may start in June and leave till march. :D :poke:
Flyer5

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 am

The way I understand it, Christmas was always a gathering of family and friends prior to the 1880's, but then a few businessman thought they should promote the gift giving that the 3 wise men gave Jesus to generate more sales, and it obviously worked.

We are cutting back drastically this year and getting back to the meaning of Christmas. We are a blended family and so our 3 girls (ages 5, 6 and now 8) have biological parents that are very well off and get pampered with gifts. My Mom...she does not understand the concept of reducing presents either; her house burned down when she was a kid 3 days before Christmas and so makes sure everyone has 1400 gifts apiece so they do not have to endure a Christmas with no presents.

I actually feel kind of bad that our girls get as much as they do when I know other kids out there get nothing, or at the very least, very little. We are just hoping to give them what other kids do not get much of either: family traditions, holiday routines and a feeling of well being.
NoSmoke

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 am

NoSmoke wrote:
I actually feel kind of bad that our girls get as much as they do when I know other kids out there get nothing, or at the very least, very little. We are just hoping to give them what other kids do not get much of either: family traditions, holiday routines and a feeling of well being.

That's is the biggest gift of all.....oh and what about all the good food, I remember looking foward to certain relatives visiting because of the special desserts they would bring each year. :up:
michaelanthony

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:22 am

freetown fred wrote:AND---WHY???? are the kids like that??????? Wait a minute, I still believe in Santa Claus. What the hell's all that about :x

My kids are like that because of a variety of contributing factors that are not supported by me...I'll leave it at that! :)
Northern Maine