Are my expectations too high??

Are my expectations too high??

PostBy: NWBuilder On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:30 pm

My AHS 130 has been in use for less then one full year and my hopper is rusting badly on one side and starting on the other 3. I didn't realize just had bad it was until I let my coal level drop down to do my maintenance on the unit. I called AHS and was told I could send it back at my cost and they would repaint it for me for a fee. Maybe I am crazy but I think the paint job such an expensive item should hold up for more then one year; the tech seemed to think so as well and this seemed unusual to him. So I guess I will get out the grinder and get started on a new paint job. Maybe if the surface is prepped better it will hold up for a little longer then a year. I am pretty disappointed in this but maybe my expectations are just too high. I know that if after a year one of my clients should ever have an issue with my work, it isn't their issue it is mine and it would be taken care of at my expense. Thoughts?
NWBuilder

Stoker Coal Boiler: Ahs 130
Coal Size/Type: Burning Pea anthracite

Re: Are my expectations too high??

PostBy: sterling40man On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Wet coal will do that to you. I have a Keystoker K6 and my hopper was pretty rusted. I used a wire wheel to take all the rust and paint off and sprayed it with undercoat. Worked like a charm! :)
sterling40man

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KA-6

PostBy: steamup On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm

At the end of the season, if you are not firing, take out all of the coal. Moisture from condensation and sulfer in the coal is a bad combination.

I would shut down, empty the hopper, give it a light wire brushing and spray it with a can of spray bed liner. You can get a 12 or 16 oz can at the local autoparts store. I repainted my keystoker hopper and the paint didn't last long. I hit it with the liner spray and it seems much better. Cheaper than shipping.
steamup

Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:58 pm

steamup wrote:I would shut down, empty the hopper, give it a light wire brushing and spray it with a can of spray bed liner...........

Either that or brush it with por-15.

As they said, the hopper will rust if coal is left in it for the summer. But I'll tell you this, it took my old Alaska Stoker II over 20 years to rust through....

Rick
Rick 386

Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

PostBy: NWBuilder On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks guys, I burned through the summer so it wasn't a matter of leaving wet coal in it. I appreciate the ideas, I will keep you posted.
NWBuilder

PostBy: Cap On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:11 pm

If you shut down the unit during warm weather, you must prevent the humidity in your basement from attacking the steel. Hand fired guys (ME) vacuum fly ash, wipe & oil and in addition we burn a 40 watt bulb in the firebox all summer long. We disconnect the flue piping and store it in plastic trash bags out in the shed, above ground. We never leave good stove pipe in the basement. And we periodically check the unit throughout the summer months for signs of corrosion.
Cap

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator

PostBy: Berlin On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:59 am

I've used different things, but THIS is probably the best and it IS what you need: http://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film- ... 4AodD2cAkg

Using dry and/or oiled coal will also prevent excessive hopper rust; an abrasive, solid which produces acids in the presence of moisture, is not kind to metal, but, if you use that 'fluid film' you won't have to take your coal out at the end of the season, just brush or spray a bit of that around the inside of the hopper and it will migrate throughout the whole thing in less than a few days. VERY good stuff.
Berlin

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

PostBy: 331camaro On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:50 am

thats a great website theres alot of other good rust prevention stuff on there too!!
331camaro

Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice

PostBy: NWBuilder On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 am

Berlin wrote:I've used different things, but THIS is probably the best and it IS what you need: http://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film- ... 4AodD2cAkg

Using dry and/or oiled coal will also prevent excessive hopper rust; an abrasive, solid which produces acids in the presence of moisture, is not kind to metal, but, if you use that 'fluid film' you won't have to take your coal out at the end of the season, just brush or spray a bit of that around the inside of the hopper and it will migrate throughout the whole thing in less than a few days. VERY good stuff.

Thanks very much, I will check this out!
NWBuilder

PostBy: dchartt On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:09 am

nwbuilder mine rusted also within the first year not to bad because after last season I cleaned it and hit it with some spray paint, my hopper has a lot of condensation on the inside of it while it is burning wether from bad draft or being in a barn it doesnt matter get a little scratch in there and theres your rust
dchartt

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay

PostBy: Berlin On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:23 pm

I've attempted to use POR 15 and paint etc. on hoppers but it just doesn't last. The old bit stokers all had a thick oily tar spread on the fresh metal - which worked well but just like anything else - it wore off over time exposing the steel. If you use paint/ por 15 / rubberized undercoating all that happens (in my experience) is that a short while later the inside of the hopper will come off - with the paint - in big sheets of rust because once that acidic moisture gets behind the paint through a pin hole or rust spot it spreads very quickly behind the new paint. Once the original paint is gone, keep it sprayed with fluid fim during the off season and use dry or oiled coal during the season and progression of rust is basically stopped.
Berlin

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

PostBy: McGiever On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:35 pm

NWBuilder wrote:Thanks guys, I burned through the summer so it wasn't a matter of leaving wet coal in it. I appreciate the ideas, I will keep you posted.

Excessive moisture while boiler is operating needs corrected. Paint/coatings only serve as a temporary band-aid to the real solution...having no more moisture.
McGiever

Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

PostBy: lsayre On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:11 pm

McGiever wrote:Excessive moisture while boiler is operating needs corrected. Paint/coatings only serve as a temporary band-aid to the real solution...having no more moisture.

With my AHS S130 I noticed lots of moisture (with a monsoon of rain pouring off the lid upon removal) when running it during the hottest and most humid summer months. I contacted AHS and they told me this is to be expected and is considered normal for summer operation when the draft is naturally much lower than during the winter. They saw this as a non-issue.

I don't see this moisture situation for roughly 10 months out of 12.
lsayre

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:28 pm

It may be feasible to drill and tap a drain fitting with a hose leading down to a collection tank. A good welder could run a bead weld inside the hopper which would funnel the moisture to the drain fitting, sort of like how a drip cap works.
EarthWindandFire

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer model 75. (sold)
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

PostBy: dchartt On: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:25 am

mine has a lot of moisture through out the winter no matter what and Im sure its probably because of draft, BUT this thing is running top notch, after a winter of headaches, and I plan not to touch it, I have since painted the inside of the whole hopper with coal tar epoxy, and I guarantee that will stop rust Ive been a industrial painter for 7 years now, I like to think the moisture helps with over shooting problems also :hammer:
dchartt

Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay