Glenwood 6 Restoration

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: nortcan On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 am

Steve, is it the same product you did talk about in a message you sent to me a few time ago? If so, I did contact the company and with no success, the guy didn't even know the product???? Maybe I didn't contact the right company?????? Anyway I used something different but one of these days I would like to have it in my ""Rope Gaskets Warehouse"".
Thanks
nortcan

Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

PostBy: vfw3439 On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Your antique stove looks great. It must be great to see each and every piece up close and personal.

Chad
vfw3439

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8
Stove/Furnace Model: Crawford Tropic 112

PostBy: echos67 On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:28 pm

nortcan wrote:Steve, is it the same product you did talk about in a message you sent to me a few time ago? If so, I did contact the company and with no success, the guy didn't even know the product???? Maybe I didn't contact the right company?????? Anyway I used something different but one of these days I would like to have it in my ""Rope Gaskets Warehouse"".
Thanks

Here you are Pierre, The Nock and Son Company, Cleveland, Ohio

Liner Manufacturer.jpg
(83.1 KiB) Viewed 12 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]37875[/nepathumb]

I did not have any luck finding any either and thankfully Steve helped me out. Doug at Barnstable sells some but I am not sure its the same but he wont ship it so that put me out. Emery at the Stove Hospital has some stuff also he uses but I havent been able to get any of it either :lol: .I will look again since it is such a nice product like "Rope Gaskets" and as you say better to have it on hand :D !

This is an empty container Emery at The stove hospital had when I bought my stove last year. Colco Products, this particular product looks similar in packaging to a regular style furnace cement from someone like Rutland but I do not know that for sure since the container was empty.

Arrival-Parts Furnace Cement.jpg
(50.12 KiB) Viewed 19 times
[nepathumb]37876[/nepathumb]
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: echos67 On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:30 pm

vfw3439 wrote:Your antique stove looks great. It must be great to see each and every piece up close and personal.

Chad

Thank You Chad,

I hope it turns out half as good looking as the No 8 that you have ;) .
echos67

PostBy: nortcan On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks Keith. I will keep the photos in a safe place for later. More options means more choices.
nortcan

PostBy: vfw3439 On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 pm

echos67 wrote:
vfw3439 wrote:Your antique stove looks great. It must be great to see each and every piece up close and personal.

Chad

Thank You Chad,

I hope it turns out half as good looking as the No 8 that you have ;) .

Thank you. I could not be happier with the big girl :D . I was at the right place at the right time and the right price. I was the last person to get a fully restored No. 8 at the old price. Doug at Barnstable Stove was great to me and my family.
vfw3439

Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4

PostBy: nortcan On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Good to read that peoples get satisfaction when buying an antique stove from a well reputed place as you did.
You got a very nice stove from Barnstable.
nortcan

PostBy: vfw3439 On: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:08 pm

nortcan wrote:Good to read that peoples get satisfaction when buying an antique stove from a well reputed place as you did.

Thank you Pierre. I just ordered an extra set of new prismatic grates from Doug at Barnstable yesterday. I just want to have an extra set on hand. After reading many of your posts I was wondering if you like Beer?

Chad
vfw3439

PostBy: nortcan On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:38 am

vfw3439 wrote:
nortcan wrote:Good to read that peoples get satisfaction when buying an antique stove from a well reputed place as you did.

Thank you Pierre. I just ordered an extra set of new prismatic grates from Doug at Barnstable yesterday. I just want to have an extra set on hand. After reading many of your posts I was wondering if you like Beer?

Chad

Yes vfw, I like beer once in a while but also like a good ant fire, good drinks and even ""nice dishwasher"" :D , all that can keep my mind warm :lol:
nortcan

PostBy: echos67 On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Uncle William and DJ please forgive me but I cant help myself but to use the gaskets, its probably Pierre's fault :lol: !

Anyways here is an update to the stove.

Inside of the smoke shelf mounted, need to trim extra length off of the bolts inside the barrel but I am out of Dremel cut off wheels currently.

Smoke Shelf Gasket -5.jpg
(85.66 KiB) Viewed 38 times
[nepathumb]37925[/nepathumb]

Outside of the smoke shelf mounted.

Smoke Shelf Gasket -6.jpg
(62.99 KiB) Viewed 30 times
[nepathumb]37926[/nepathumb]

Mounted the top, it fit so tight I could not get a gasket in there without making a complete mess, so i will seal with stove cement from the inside.

Top Installed.jpg
(24.95 KiB) Viewed 20 times
[nepathumb]37927[/nepathumb]

And my Favorite :D

No. 6.jpg
(102.12 KiB) Viewed 23 times
[nepathumb]37928[/nepathumb]

I should have it complete this weekend I just have a few places to re polish after the liner install :) and minus the Nickel that will be sent to Canada after the Holiday.
echos67

PostBy: echos67 On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:24 pm

No 6 Finished Minus Nickel.jpg
(84.01 KiB) Viewed 48 times
[nepathumb]37929[/nepathumb]
echos67

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Wow Keith! Let me be the first to say what an excellent job! Can't wait to get a load of stove coal into that baby and see how she runs. It looks excellent and even I like the burnished look of the nickel as it looks now too. That's how my cookstove nickel looks. Well loved and well used. ;) That Barkeepers Friend is some of the best stuff to scrub the old nickel and in my case the enamel of the cooker. It's made from rhubarb if you can believe that. All natural.

Anyway, it's currently 27 degrees here on the coast and both stoves are at a mild 300 cruise and the house is 74 degrees! It's lookin good for the cold stuff. :D
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: echos67 On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 pm

SteveZee wrote:Wow Keith! Let me be the first to say what an excellent job! Can't wait to get a load of stove coal into that baby and see how she runs. It looks excellent and even I like the burnished look of the nickel as it looks now too. That's how my cookstove nickel looks. Well loved and well used. ;) That Barkeepers Friend is some of the best stuff to scrub the old nickel and in my case the enamel of the cooker. It's made from rhubarb if you can believe that. All natural.

Anyway, it's currently 27 degrees here on the coast and both stoves are at a mild 300 cruise and the house is 74 degrees! It's lookin good for the cold stuff. :D

Thank You Steve,

Last year I used nut coal in the stove and though it did very well i have been thinking of trying stove size this next round.

It was allot of fun to redo the old girl and I am very happy how it all came together. For the nickel i used Never Dull it didn't work to well, the nickel really is in bad shape but I will get the Barkeepers Friend for when the pieces come back from the plating co. Rhubarb and strawberry pie is delicious :D i have to ask my aunt to make one for Thanksgiving now that you reminded me of it :woot: !

Sounds like the pair are playing together very well at your house Steve :) , by the way any new info on the old thing down the road from you a few miles ?
echos67

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:38 am

Nothing yet Keith as I was traveling all last week with Kim. I am playing it slow with that guy but plan on "stopping by" to see what's what the next time I get down that way. I do know know where his house is as we saw it on the way out of town to Portland last week. Had a ball and ate at some great resi's around Portland area.

I would give the stove coal a try. I think you'll find it works great in the #6. That's all I'm using in the 116 and it loves it. The cookstove gets the mix but honestly it too does better on the stove I think and in particular because the nut size is smallish from Blaschack. Next year I'll go 6 tons straight stove size.
This morning it was 19 degrees outside and you'd have never known it in here where the house was at 73. The cookstove was just under 300 and the the 116 about 350. That leaves quite a bit of capacity yet. It feels a bit hot to me in here honestly, but it's good for my old Mom who's staying here with me.

Oh and there's a pot of "Sunday Gravy" with sweet fennel sausages on the cookstove slow cooking for dinner too! ;)
SteveZee

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 am

Very nice job Keith. Hope to see tha stove on the job soon.
nortcan

Visit Hitzer Stoves