coal ashes

coal ashes

PostBy: joeq On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I'm sure this question must pop up once in while, but I was curious if there are any benefits from coal ashes,other than just tossing them away. If not, where do you people throw yours? I remember some-one (I think) told me a while back it was good for the garden soil, however no-one has confirmed this for me. I was also thinking of using it for confetti in the ticker tape parade after the up-coming inauguration. (Sorry...did I say that out-loud? :oops: )
joeq

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Stove/Furnace Make: Oil fired
Stove/Furnace Model: Thermopride

Re: coal ashes

PostBy: Dennis On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:03 pm

most people use them in there driveways for filling potholes and for traction in winter on snow and ice
Dennis

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:14 pm

I put mine in a big pile in hope that someday I will have a use for them. In the meantime my dogs like to sit on the pile as a "lookout". :D
Rob R.

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: echos67 On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I fill holes throughout the yard, not sure about a garden but no problem growing grass in the holes I fill.
echos67

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

PostBy: joeq On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:32 pm

You mean it "is" biodegradable and I can just throw it on my lawn? Now that I just came back from running around looking for a "metal" 10-15 gal container, (all I could find was a 20 gal. for $ 20), and now your saying I wasted a Jackson. :mad: Figures. Should've waited for your replies. You guys know how hard it is these days to find something made of metal. Wanted a container. and a dust pan for my hot ashes, and you'ld think I was looking for the "Holy Grail". I guess China isn't into metal fab yet. (Oh, wait a minute...that's where GMs cars will be built soon.)
joeq

PostBy: Tim On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:35 pm

I take my ashes to the Township Building and dump em on the anti skid pile out back ...I asked yrs. ago and told them they are clean anthracite ashes and they were glad to get them. 8-)
Tim

Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Oak #30

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:47 pm

veg garden, lawn, fill pot holes, stop leaks in pond birm nothing vegetation wise has died yet--wow, this could be a new fertilizer/ fill market ;) And, YES--dogs seem to appreciate the elevated view :)
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: joeq On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:14 pm

I told the wife about using it for traction in the snow, and her response was, "Yeah...then we'll be tracking ashes all through the house". :roll:
joeq

PostBy: Cap On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 pm

I dump into that metal can you bought. On Sundays, I bag up into to tall kitchen size Glad bags. From there they go out on Monday with the trash. I would not use ashes in my driveway. Once everything thaws, do I really want to see the mess? I won't pile in my yard. My neighbor as an ash pile behind the trees. I won't create the same eye sore. But to each his own.
Cap

Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:03 pm

As Cap stated--the solution is equivelent to country mouse vs city mouse--if you can use them there are many uses--if you can't, oh well. Go to plan B
freetown fred

Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

PostBy: joeq On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Great info guys. I think in my situation, the week-end trash bag will suffice. I'm in suburbia, with-out accessible woods to dump said ashes.
joeq

PostBy: Rwalker On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:31 pm

I also use them on my steep driveway after running the snow blower. Provides great traction, much better then salt!
Rwalker

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

PostBy: Davian On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Rwalker wrote:I also use them on my steep driveway after running the snow blower. Provides great traction, much better then salt!

Exactly...they work awesomely for that...and for filling in potholes in gravel driveways.

Its a huge fringe benefit for me as it saves me money on rock salt.
Davian

Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

PostBy: joeq On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Sounds popular, but as mentioned above, do you guys end up with a mess when the snow goes away, or any tracking of ashes into the house? Or is the amount so slight, it really doesn't affect it?
joeq

PostBy: Davian On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:35 pm

No mess for me...but I have a packed gravel driveway so it basically blends in with the base. Never had any issues with it tracking in either but I dont use it on the stone walkway, I just use rock salt for that.
Davian

Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Visit Hitzer Stoves