WV Bit vs. PA Blaschak Anthracite in a WM stove

Re: WV Bit vs. PA Blaschak Anthracite in a WM stove

PostBy: Bootstrap On: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Last night I ran "her" with the baro set to the least amount of draft. The MPD was completely shut - I'm talking dead flat. I left the bottom draft control wide open though. Woke up this morning after about 10 hours of burn time and she was still burning good but definitely needed a reload. So far, I am burning twice as much pea coal than nut coal. At this rate I would go through 100# per day versus maybe #50(max) of nut.
Bootstrap

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 30-95

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35 pm

After all of my back and fourth thoughts of the Blaschak ant vs. This WV bit that I have been burning I decided to try out the bit on a larger scale. I had 1000lbs of the bit delivered from Martin Farms here in the area. I am still buying a pallet of blaschak this year I just haven't made my way up there yet. The WM is actually getting longer burn times with the bit and with good heat output. Of course the same downsides of bit still exist. It stinks and is still smokey. I can say though that this stuff I am burning from Martin farms seems to be good bituminous. I think that I am happy to have both on hand this year and the convenience of delivery is very nice! :D It burns to a very fine ash and I have not come across any clinkers yet.

The little Warm Morning is proving to be the perfect bit stove just like their advertisments stated.
Smokeyja

Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut

PostBy: Bootstrap On: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:47 pm

yup, Warm morning stoves are designed for bit coal. I don't use my warm morning anymore, but its behind my barn in case I ever need it. I would probably dust her off if I could come across bit coal.
Bootstrap

Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 30-95

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PostBy: Berlin On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 am

Smokeyja wrote:After all of my back and fourth thoughts of the Blaschak ant vs. This WV bit that I have been burning I decided to try out the bit on a larger scale. I had 1000lbs of the bit delivered from Martin Farms here in the area. I am still buying a pallet of blaschak this year I just haven't made my way up there yet. The WM is actually getting longer burn times with the bit and with good heat output. Of course the same downsides of bit still exist. It stinks and is still smokey. I can say though that this stuff I am burning from Martin farms seems to be good bituminous. I think that I am happy to have both on hand this year and the convenience of delivery is very nice! :D It burns to a very fine ash and I have not come across any clinkers yet.

The little Warm Morning is proving to be the perfect bit stove just like their advertisments stated.

Yup, the warm morning is a good bit coal stove. And GOOD bit coal is, in my honest (and probably controversial :P ) opinion better than a good anthracite for hand-firing a stove designed for it - with the caveat that hand-fired even a GOOD bit will still produce some smoke and smell outside the home.
Berlin

Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

PostBy: coalturkey On: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15 am

I use a warm morning 523 and a base heater Oakland. I have to say the 523 is the equal of the base heater though the base heater needs to be resealed. On a low setting, the 523 runs 48 hours effortlessly and I have run 72 hours. I burn blashek coal and just bought 3 pallets. The warm morning stoves in the 100 pound capacity are the equal of about any stove out there. You can dump 40 lbs of coal on a low fire after a shake and it just keeps rolling. I paid $30 for this one and love it. Some one shoud start making the WM stove again.
coalturkey

Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Oakland #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: blaschek nut
Other Heating: Home Comfort range
Stove/Furnace Make: Oakland #6 Base Heater
Stove/Furnace Model: Home Comfort range

PostBy: Smokeyja On: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:14 pm

coalturkey wrote:I use a warm morning 523 and a base heater Oakland. I have to say the 523 is the equal of the base heater though the base heater needs to be resealed. On a low setting, the 523 runs 48 hours effortlessly and I have run 72 hours. I burn blashek coal and just bought 3 pallets. The warm morning stoves in the 100 pound capacity are the equal of about any stove out there. You can dump 40 lbs of coal on a low fire after a shake and it just keeps rolling. I paid $30 for this one and love it. Some one shoud start making the WM stove again.

This is why I haven't settled on another stove yet. Believe it or not the little Warm morning is heating most of my 1287 sq ft house. The kitchen and living room usually stay a bit cooler though because the way the house is built. What ever stove I buy , because they are very expensive, I want it to be a good deal better than what my WM 414A can provide but if I spend around 2k for a fancy restored cast stove and it doesn't fufill a better role than my Warm Morning I will be two things, pissed and dissapointed.... well and out of 2k for something that is nice to look at it.

I want to go to Ginger Creek in NC and look at their stoves in person because they are the closest to me. I am willing to spend the money on a larger stove for my living room now but I want to see some of these in action. There is a few other places I am interested in looking at but I can't just pick up and drive to most of them.

Mike has been so succesful with his WM 523 that I want to pick up one myself to have. The other good thing about the WM is that they have a small foot print unlike a lot of stove out there that need to be 5' from the wall.

My WM is showing it's battle scars this year though. It needs a good tear down and re-seal but it still works awesome.

either way My wife and I are into coal for the long haul! Atleast that is if the dumbasses in Washington don't screw that up as well.
Smokeyja

Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut

Visit Hitzer Stoves