Glenwood 6 Restoration

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:39 am

Steve, about stove size ant, do you get the same burning time with it comared to nut?, and do you have about the same heat output?
Thanks
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Pierre, for me it seems to work better in several ways. First it does not seem to burn faster like I thought it would, and heat out put seems more than nut to me but the nut I have been using last few years (Blaschack) has been small. The best thing for me is that the Glenwoods with the bar grates work well with it because the pieces don't fall through nearly as much as the nut and when they have burned down to that size they are nearly spent anyways. I do have to poke the middle sometimes to drop the ash but I do that anyways.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: echos67 On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:57 pm

nortcan wrote:Very nice job Keith. Hope to see tha stove on the job soon.


Thanks Pierre,

By the way I spoke to Jacque again this last week (Chrome Black Lake), i have my pictures of the Nickel parts ready to send him but i cant find the website so i will have to call him again this week and get an email address.


Steve, Wheres the pictures of the "Sunday Gravy" ?

With your suggestion I will be ordering Stove size coal next, about 3 ton will fit nicely in the bin I think.

Keep me updated on the neighbor thing and don't play it too slow he may send it down the road with someone else :o
echos67
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:17 pm

echos67 wrote:
nortcan wrote:Very nice job Keith. Hope to see tha stove on the job soon.


Thanks Pierre,

By the way I spoke to Jacque again this last week (Chrome Black Lake), i have my pictures of the Nickel parts ready to send him but i cant find the website so i will have to call him again this week and get an email address.


Steve, Wheres the pictures of the "Sunday Gravy" ?

With your suggestion I will be ordering Stove size coal next, about 3 ton will fit nicely in the bin I think.

Keep me updated on the neighbor thing and don't play it too slow he may send it down the road with someone else :o

Keith, why not a photo showing the parts before and one after? Just an idea.
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:28 pm

SteveZee wrote:Pierre, for me it seems to work better in several ways. First it does not seem to burn faster like I thought it would, and heat out put seems more than nut to me but the nut I have been using last few years (Blaschack) has been small. The best thing for me is that the Glenwoods with the bar grates work well with it because the pieces don't fall through nearly as much as the nut and when they have burned down to that size they are nearly spent anyways. I do have to poke the middle sometimes to drop the ash but I do that anyways.


Thanks Steve.
The grate having so big openings in it could be for stove, well that is what William already said in a post on the forum. So from your experiences with stove it makes me thinking seriously that I will try to get some stove and see... I learned I could have stove from the same place I get the nut, so just a good idea you gave to me. :up:
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: echos67 On: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Today I received the new parts from Doug at Barnstable,

I probably wont ever use the wood burning plate but it is one of those things that make the stove 100% complete, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it :)

Grates, Gears, Wood Plate.jpg
(99.46 KiB) Viewed 60 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]38034[/nepathumb]
echos67
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: SteveZee On: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Keith , Pretty cool. Are those the originals or a spare grate set?
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: echos67 On: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:52 pm

SteveZee wrote:Keith , Pretty cool. Are those the originals or a spare grate set?


New cast set and you have a return pm Sir !
echos67
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: SteveZee On: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:13 pm

echos67 wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Keith , Pretty cool. Are those the originals or a spare grate set?


New cast set and you have a return pm Sir !


Outstanding! :D
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: lobsterman On: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Congratulations on your No. 6! You will love it! Mine is in its 3rd season in my house (A CL find in some guy's basement), not restored but still looks decent, heats perfectly, and gets lots of compliments. Fabulous control and very efficient, so it seems. How many do we have on the board now?
lobsterman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: echos67 On: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:27 pm

lobsterman wrote:Congratulations on your No. 6! You will love it! Mine is in its 3rd season in my house (A CL find in some guy's basement), not restored but still looks decent, heats perfectly, and gets lots of compliments. Fabulous control and very efficient, so it seems. How many do we have on the board now?


Thanks, I found out last year what amazing stoves these were and I am looking forward to trying it out again this year after my Hearth is built. The 6 heated this old house just terrific from an unfinished basement on 2 tons of nut coal :shock: !
echos67
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: echos67 On: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:41 pm

So I got back from the Holiday, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and I am off work today and tomorrow so I started laying out the hearth after I got the big girl moved to the approximate location.

These pictures show the area where the pellet stove was that was just sold last week and where I would like to install the No 6. I am no hearth builder in any way so please by all means point something out if it looks as if it may cause me problems or safety issues.

I will build the hearth on the floor with 2x6 on edge due to a higher cieling and cover the framework with 3/4" plywood the lay the duro rock (cement board) on that and finish with slate tile is this correct ?

The wall, I will frame up new walls with a 1" air barrier using insulators between the existing drywall and new wall and then duro rock (cement board) on the stove side with slate tile to the cieling, with a 1" gap at top and bottom. Is this acceptable for an 18" clearance ?

As for the windows, I was thinking of wrapping those with white coil stock bent to cover the trim, does this need an air gap also ? Metal blinds will be used for coverings.

Disregard the old pellet stove pipe still in the wall, it will be removed and the hole will be repaired.

Hearth Layout -1.jpg
(90.89 KiB) Viewed 17 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]38170[/nepathumb]


Hearth Layout -2.jpg
(88.33 KiB) Viewed 11 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]38171[/nepathumb]


18 Clearance Right Side.jpg
(68.7 KiB) Viewed 11 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]38172[/nepathumb]


18 Clearnace Left Side.jpg
(84.26 KiB) Viewed 4 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]38173[/nepathumb]
Last edited by echos67 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echos67
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Nice unit! How will it be vented?
Northern Maine
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: echos67 On: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Northern Maine wrote:Nice unit! How will it be vented?


Thanks NM,

This end of the house is a single story so I will just run it through the cieling and roof with Stainless Double wall pipe outside and single wall black pipe inside, I plan to have the outside end up a foot or 2 above the railing in the picture, it is about 20' to the second story part of the house so hopefully no draft issues. If we were to keep this house long term I would go with a concrete exterior chimney but the roi wouldnt pay for itself around here im afraid.This is my plan anyways unless someone says it isnt safe of course.

I will use a cieling box inside for the cieling where the single wall black pipe adapts to the Stainless double wall.

Looking at the picture the stove is sitting in the far left corner by the narrow window, you may be able to see the pellet stove pipe comming through.

Single Story West End.jpg
(129.55 KiB) Viewed 16 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]38175[/nepathumb]
echos67
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Re: Glenwood 6 Restoration

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Is the install going to be inspected, did you pull a permit?
grumpy
 

Visit Hitzer Stoves